Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Cherokee:

Aug 062019

Cherokee

Service shifter notification came on again. I had it replaced under warranty at 33704 miles. Came on again approximately 50,000. Called dealership, no longer under warranty. Looked online, this is an on going issue with Cherokee's and fga will not do a recall. **this notification cames up on the hud and cannot be removed without service, thus making my display useless.**

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Feb 272018

Cherokee

While driving on more than several occasions a message "service shifter" is displayed on the instrument cluster display and all lights are illuminated on the transmission panel. When this occurs it can't be taken off unless the vehicle is stopped, shut off, and then restarted. This has occurred on city streets and highways. I have taken my vehicle in for service to fix the issue twice in two years. It is scheduled to go back in this coming week for additional work. The first "repair" consisted of reprogramming the computer. The second replaced the wiring harness. The third will be a bezel and another transmission accessory.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Jul 232019

Cherokee

While driving my 2017 Cherokee latitude on the interstate, a "service shfter" warning appeared and all the red lights on the shifter (P, R, N &D) all illuminated. I was about a mile away from a customer, so I pulled in and put the Jeep in park. However, when I took my foot off the brake, the Jeep went forward hitting my customers fence

- Hendersonville, TN, USA

Jul 272019

Cherokee

Every time I drive my 2017 Jeep Cherokee limited my service shifter light comes on locking out any shifter controls. I was instructed in order to reset to pull over to a safe place shut off the vehicle and reset the ignition. As this happens nearly every single time I drive my vehicle it is not a feasible solution. Calling Chrysler I was told that there is no open issues recalls or warranty for any such issue. Looking online I found thousands of reported issues of the same thing.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 262019

Cherokee

In January 2019, my Jeep began jerking during acceleration. The dealership service department notified me that the engine needed to be replaced. During removal of the engine, the alternator was damaged and had to be replaced as well. Two months later I received my vehicle back and 10 miles later the same jerk occurred. After immediately returning to the dealership and a ride along with the service technician, the technician informed me that the problem seemed to be the transmission. This repair took another two weeks. At which time the fcc representative informed me that there was nothing more they could do. The service technician even mentioned that the vehicle should be recalled and has had nothing but problems. Now, three months later, the shifter light has come on upon cranking the vehicle. Which is also transmission related. What will it take to recognize that this vehicle is not safe for consumers?

- Marshville, NC, USA

Jul 202019

Cherokee

"service shifter" message appeared on screen, all lights on pnrd turned red, could not see what gear vehicle was in. Had to turn car off to get message to leave.has happened numerous times now.. vehicle was in motion, on both city street and highway.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Jul 082019

Cherokee

Windshield cracking after taking no physical damage and parked. Service shifter light on at 18,000 miles when started. Transmission shifts rough 1st-3rd gear. Engine has also randomly shut off when started and will not start back up.

- Brogue, PA, USA

Jul 162019

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 5 mph, the service gear shifter warning indicator illuminated and the parking brake independently activated. The vehicle was stopped, shifted into park, and then placed into drive. Afterwards, the vehicle operated as intended. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. Landmark Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram was contacted by phone at (816) 836-0100 (located at 1900 S noland rd, independence, mo 64055) and an appointment was scheduled to have the vehicle diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 59323175. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Independence, MO, USA

Jul 112019

Service shifter light

- Utica, MI, USA

Jul 092019

Cherokee

The service shift light has come on several times on my car. Just brought it in for an update at the Jeep dealership, and still having the problem. Car runs fine once it is parked and turned off. However, problem continues to happen.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jul 062019

Cherokee

While moving on a city street, the message "service shifter" appeared on instrument panel and all gear lights on shift console illuminated red. Condition remained until vehicle was stopped and turned off, then back on.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jul 032019

Cherokee

Low oil indicator never came on.the vehicle randomly shuts down, when the oil is to low without any indication light coming on that the oil is low. This has been a common problem to the point where the dealers know exactly what the issue is. My vehicle shut down without warning in the middle of the road when turning right and indicated that I needed to put it in park and restart it. I checked the oil and it was almost dry! I added oil and will be taking it into the dealership! this Jeep only has 25K miles on

- Saint Helens, OR, USA

Jul 022019

Cherokee

Turned vehicle on, warning sounded. On dash read 'service shifter' and all lights on the shifter were lit up. Vehicle was able to be driven. When re-started, the warning light disappeared.

- Parma Heights, OH, USA

Jun 072019

Cherokee

The contact owns a 2017 Jeep Cherokee. While driving approximately 40 mph, the service shifter error indicator illuminated. The contact had to turn off and restart the vehicle for the indicator to disappear; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 23,300. The VIN was not provided.

- Spraggs, PA, USA

Jun 262019

Cherokee

While driving the service shifter light comes on and every light on the gear indicator lights up. Dealer says they do not know. After vehicle has been turned off it went away. Dealer told me we are fine to drive if it doesnt come back

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Jun 222019

Cherokee

I was driving home on a major street when the message service shifter popped up on my dashboard. The lights turned red on all gears. I could not see my speed or any other information. My mileage had just read 19141 I believe prior to the screen going to service shifter message. I pulled into a parking lot. I placed the gear into park. I then googled the message, make, and model to find out more information. I found forum on cargurus.com stating to turn off the vehicle and restart. I waited 10 minutes before turning on the vehicle. When I turned on the vehicle.the message disappeared and the red gear lights turned off.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 202019

Cherokee

Service shifter. Dealership quoted me $1200 to repair. Was told it was a shifting module in which would need to be programmed after repair. There has been numerous people with this same issue on these cars. This vehicle is less than 2 years old, and I was told this could be a major safety problem. This should be a recall without a doubt.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Jun 132019

Cherokee

Service shifter message appeared on dash and all the prnd lights turned red when I started the vehicle first thing in the morning after sitting all night in the garage. Turned vehicle off and on with no change. Drove it 40 miles to work and when I left at the end of the day, the message was gone and all the lights were back to normal.

- Hudson, CO, USA

Feb 252019

Cherokee

Service shifter prompt came on at 26,000 miles. Seems to be one of the main culprits for this model.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 062019

Cherokee

Service shifter came on one evening and went off upon shutting the vehicle down and restarting it. The next day woth no warning I was on the highway with my three kids. Suddenly dash flashed 4X4, traction control, ers, auto stop all unavailable and then the transmission just stopped functioning. I was in the fast lane doing 70 mph and had no power what so ever. The rpms went up and I had no acceleration with the gas pedal down. I was able to get to the slow lane but not without causing a rift in traffic, thankfully other drivers were alert around me and let me over once I hit my flashers. The vehicle was acting as if it was stuck between gears. Ot would engage in R, N and P but nothing when I put it in D. called a rollback and per dealership every code that could throw has thrown and at my expense we are starting with entire shifter assembly to the tune of $900 parts and labor. 5 days to get parts in! per service manager, service writer and the mechanic working on my car this is an issue with Cherokee & better yet Jeep is well aware of the issue and doesn't find a need for a recall.

- Clarksville, TN, USA