8.7

$80

Most common solutions:

2. change oil (2 reports)
  3. tsb #21-033-18rev.a and updated tcm #68323985af (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Cherokee:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Nov 052018

Cherokee Sport 2.4L

I was on my way to work on 11/5/2018 when the check engine light came on. I was less than 10 miles past the mileage to change the oil, so I thought maybe that was the issue.

Then the vehicle started to die and a message of "shift to park or neutral, press brake to select gear" appeared. I had to baby it over to a side street when it totally died. I sat for a little bit and was able to get the vehicle started again. I drove to the gas station and filled up and proceeded to work. Then on my way home from work while exiting the parking garage, the vehicle died again and the same message appeared. I got it started and worked my way to the dealership, about 25 miles away. Several lights were illuminated at this point. If you slowed down any and then tried giving the vehicle any gas, there was absolutely no power.

The dealership is trying to tell me there's a chance I will need a new engine (ON A VEHICLE THAT IS LESS THAN 2 YEARS OLD)!!!!!!! I am absolutely furious!! My vehicle has 63,000 miles on it and should not need a new engine. The dealership said it was low on oil and that there could be a leak, but they won't know for sure until the "engine guy" looked at it.

- Joanne H., Bethlehem, GA, US

Dec 202018

Cherokee Latitude 2.4L

My car started stalling on me and within 5 days it happened everyday! It always happened when I had just took off about the first mile of my journey. The car would ding and say "to shift be in Drive" or "shift to Park press the brake and select gear" then the engine would completely shut off and the steering wheel would lock up.

This was so frustrating as I just bought the car brand new a 18 months ago and also scary! Thankfully I was never going that fast when it happened and the car would always start back up after about 4-5 tries and holding the key turned in the ignition.It would only do it once and then act as if nothing was wrong during the rest of the drive.

I took it into the Jeep dealership and it seems the problem has been fixed (hopefully), they informed me that they believe it was more of a software glitch then anything actually wrong with my car. They said my software was telling the transmission that my car wasn't in Drive when it was, which then resulted in the engine shutting down to prevent any damage to it.

I referred to this website when I was having this issue and noticed a lot of people with the same problem so I wanted to write on here what they performed so maybe it will help someone else out who is having the same problem, especially because this can be dangerous!

They said there is a Technical Service Bulletin out for this exact problem so they performed TSB #21-033-18REV .A and updated TCM #68323985AF to #68323985AI. Good Luck hopefully this helps!

- sassy2017, San Lorenzo, US

Nov 102018

Cherokee Latitude

I was going to the store with my 1 MONTH OLD BABY!!!.. when I heard a ding, and lost power to the entire vehicle on a really BUSY intersection and I went from going 45miles to zero. During this time, I had no control over the steering wheel (it locked up) or the brake and no power to turn on hazards or anything to let other motorists know I was stuck and unable to move. I almost got hit with my NEWBORN in the truck!!

The display dash of the vehicle says "Shift to P then desired gear." (Because when you are stuck in the middle of the road you have all kinds of time to do this before someone smashes into you when they are not paying attention). So, I shift to P, turn off the vehicle and restart it. I put it in drive and it started going backwards. I turned it off and it hesitated to start back up, but eventually after 20 minutes or so it does.

This is the first occurrence of this instance, but its been around 1 week that every time that I turn left it makes a ding and it says oil pressure. 2 days ago it started making the ding when I try to speed up. It won't speed up till like 5 minutes later.

I called the dealer and I have an appointment this Monday 12th but I'm really scared to drive this car. This is UNSAFE, UNRELIABLE, and I'm not paying $580 a month to have a unsafe truck that can get me or even worse, my baby hurt in a car accident!!

We purchase newer vehicles with the intention of them being safe to drive not to have constant unresolved issues. This is becoming a hazard to my safety, and the next thing you know, someone will be killed or seriously injured from this problem.

- fatimar, Aurora, US

Nov 042018

Cherokee Sport Altitude 4x4 2.4L

I was driving my car and was less than 2 miles from my home when the engine stalled after I turned a corner. This is the third time this has happened. I called the dealer today and they advised that these vehicles can't go the full time between oil changes and recommend that I get my oil changed today. This is actually the third time this has happened. I will report the first two times as well. This is awfully suspicious. I've had the vehicle going on 2 years now, this never happened until this month.

- lawsonc, Mentor, US

Oct 162018

Cherokee Sport Altitude 4x4 2.4L

I was driving in our neighborhood. I pulled out of our driveway, turned down a few side streets, only going 35 MPH or less. At about the third left turn, my car stalled for just a second or two. It was early morning and dark outside. All the lights dimmed inside and outside my car as I turned, but the car picked back up and didn't fully stall out and come to a stop.

- lawsonc, Mentor, US

Aug 232018

Cherokee

In May 2017, I purchased a new 2017 Jeep Cherokee from Pomoco Jeep in Hampton, Va. In February 2018 my car shut off with twice while driving with my daughter. This was very scary and dangerous. The dealer said that it was due to an oil change. But, the sticker on my windshield that indicates the next oil change date and mileage had not occurred yet. The oil was changed and a new sticker mileage, and date was put on my windshield. In August 2018 while picking up my daughter from practice, the car shut off in the middle of the road with no warning and did not start back up. Strangers that saw me, helped push it to the nearest curb.

This is so dangerous. I couldn't believe that this happened again. I had to get it towed to the dealer and miss time from work. I was told again that it was an oil change problem but the oil change sticker said next oil change was due at 14,500 miles, I was at 14,100 miles. This car gives no warning that it needs an oil change and shutting off while driving is very dangerous because there is no warning. My daughter and I could have gotten hit. I never had this problem with any other new car I have bought in the past, and I always buy new cars. I was given the incorrect dates and mileage for oil change services.

This problem needs to be corrected, and I should not be responsible for the dealer giving me incorrect information that causes a safety issue for me and my daughter. I certainly should not have had to pay for their error. I hate this new car purchase and would never by a Jeep again.

- Kristina B., HAMPTON, VA, US

Feb 262018

Cherokee Limited

I'm speeding up to get in the car pool lane and make it in. Just as I get in the car stops! No warning, no 'ding' but it shuts off. OMG the car behind me did a fast stop, you can see smoke coming from their tires. I press the start 3 times and it turns back on with no issues. This was on a Sunday.

The next day I pull out of my driveway and after 2 blocks down the same, the car just shuts off with no warning. I was able to pull over to the side safely and after pressing the start button 2 times the car comes back on with no other issues. I call right away to make an appointment at the dealership.

I get to the dealer and was told right off the bat this is a fail safe because I need an oil change/low oil. I tell him it says I still have 5% left so I don't understand this being a "safe" way to tell people to get an oil change. I have a toddler in the car with me and shutting off on the fwy almost caused us harm! .... cricket from the dealer.

The oil is changed so I just pray that this is the end of it.

- Connie T., Long Beach, CA, US

Sep 262017

Cherokee Sport 3.2L

This is my husbands vehicle he was driving down the road and all the sudden the engine shut off. Luckily it restarted we had it towed to the local dealership. And they told us that it was low on oil that the new Jeeps burn about 1/4 of a quart of oil for each 1000 miles. So they changed the oil and told us that we needed to check the oil every 1000 miles to see if it needs some. I told them that it was a brand new vehicle and I had never heard of a vehicle doing that and they said that even the synthetic oil burns in the new vehicles. I have never heard any thing like this.

- Rvonne R., Crumpler, US

Aug 212017

Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L V6

Car stalled without reason. The first incident occurred on the August 21st, the solar eclipse day. My wife and I were on the congested road (stop and go), it stalled while we were going around 15 mph and scariest thing was both brakes and steering stalled, and our car almost ran into the car in front of us.

The car wouldn't turn right away, and emergency signal won't turn on... pretty much every electrical system in the car died. We thought this happened because we were on the road for over 3 hours.

The second time it happened (about five days after), we were on the hill and luckily the car restart right away before it rolled back. This time, we were angry and decided to bring it into the dealership on the weekend. That same week, stalled two more times and called the road side assistance and asked to tow it to the dealership. After three days in the dealership, I get a text message saying the car is complete. I went back to pick it up, and the dealership says everything is normal, but sometimes it could happen when the car has low oil. We always keep the car in the mint condition and check the oil once a month so we knew that was not the issue.

The car is still in the dealership and I refused to take it back until they find out the root cause of the issue. Today I called the FCA and got the case # and will update once I hear back from the case manager.

- Hwa S., des moines, WA, US