8.1

$1,610

Most common solutions:

2. replace dash (24 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (11 reports)
  4. repair dashboard (5 reports)
  5. replace console lid (4 reports)
  6. no (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

Nov 012012

Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7L V8 Hemi

leather dashboard is bubbling/wrinkling up

I do not understand why the dashboard problem has not been a recall by Jeep. I understand that it is not a mechanical problem but nevertheless it is a BIG problem that a vast if not all Jeep owners are facing. It is not right that Jeep not take responsibility for this problem due to the created it. For example my Jeep in garage kept and is not exposed to the sun besides while shopping even at work it is parked in an underground parking garage.

I hope that you will do the right thing and repair my dashboard at no cost to me.

Thanks

- Jawauna W., ha, GA, US

Jul 122017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi

I just came across this site and I want to add to the postings since I just notice it today. It looks ugly and I bet it will get worse overtime. I was looking for a fix (other than taking it to the dealer and replace the dash).

- ecastellvi, Hillsboro, OR, US

Apr 242017

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

Dealer where I bought it said they contacted FCA and was told they have no knowledge of any problems with the Leather Dashboards...! No TSB's, no recalls, no warranty extensions, So Sorry! So no help from them and the Extended Warranty will not help either. :-(

- Steve E., Bryantville, US

Nov 082016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8 Hemi

I noticed this happening on the passenger side in the corner near the windshield. It has now progressed across the dash to my console. It is an eye sore to look at every time you drive the jeep. Jeep knows this is an issue so I don't understand why they don't just fix their vehicles. It is due to the glue they used on the dash, not the customer abusing the jeep. Please fix this problem.

- Jimmy B., Lake Jackson, TX, US

Dec 012016

Grand Cherokee Overlnd 5.7L

I purchased this Gold Overland used, 11 months ago. This is my 4th Grand Cherokee, and this one had approx. 45,000 miles on it when I got it. Mint condition, no flaws, just a perfect vehicle....until 11 days ago. The leather dash started to bubble, and has only gotten worse. Upon researching on line, I discovered this website and am now one of over 50 owners with this year jeep and with this exact problem. I notified the dealer who takes care of my car who took pictures and has submitted this to Chrysler. In the interim I notified Chrysler Care (no, they don't), notified them of the issue, of your website and the 50 others who have complained directly to either their dealer or Chrysler Care directly, and was told that Chrysler is not aware of any such issue with any Jeep Grand Cherokee and there is nothing they will do. I told the rep to look at this website, and was told again, no, there are no reported problems and there is nothing Chrysler will do. I will wait and see what the dealer finds out before pursuing it further.

- Kevin L., Bloomsburg, PA, US

May 142014

Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi

I have taken the car to the local jeep dealership and called the corporate office and spoke with a representative for 20 minutes who refused to take it further to put in a formal complaint. Since it was outside the 36000 mile warranty he did not want to hear my problem. I have owned Jeep's for more than 20 years. this is not the way to treat loyal customers.

Update from Mar 4, 2017: The dash board on every car I have ever owned except the 2011 never had the glue malfunction and cause the leather or fabric to rinkle. This is not a function of how I drive where I live or because of the age of the car.

When there are as many complaints as you currently have you cannot deny that it was a manufacturing defect and as such should be covered by Jeep not the owner of the vehicle. This is such an obvious manufacturer defect that the lack of response to address this and repair it says volumes of the negative customer attitude that is now rampant with the Jeep/Chrysler organization. I have a 2009'and a 2011 that will need to be replaced in the next year. I have been a Jeep owner of multiple cars for 20 years which will come to and end if I can't get this resolved to MY satisfaction.

- John S., Brick, US

Sep 202016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi

Came back from work and the whole dash was finished, its frankly embarrassing with people in the jeep, and the dealership wasn't willing to do anything about it.

- luodd, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, US

Jul 202016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

well, THE DASH IS COMING OFF AND ITS WORSE AS TIME GOSE BY. Not only that BUT THE A/C ON THE DRIVERS SIDE GIVES OUT COLD AIR AND ON THE OTHER IS HOT AIR IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO DRIVE IN THE WINTER TIME OR WHEN IT IS COLD . THE WRINKLE IN THE DASH IS OUT OF CONTROL AND NO ONE IS ABLE TO HELP.

- 1luckysnoopy, Suwanee, GA, US

Aug 162014

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L

This is my third Jeep Grand Cherokee. I could not wait to get into the 2011 Overland, the most highly rated SUV in history. It is a beautiful truck, but has been riddled by maintenance issues and recalls. Luckily I purchased the Chrysler extended warranty that is good until 3/2018. I would not own one of these without the full warranty!

The bad news is that the extended Chrysler warranty will not cover this problem because they do not cover so called "cosmetic" problems. That is even though the dealership and service manager tell me this is a very common problem that is caused by a manufacturing defect.

Upon searching the web I found that it is a known defect caused by the supplier missing a vacuum process on the leather that activates the glue. It states that the 2011 vehicles were built before the supplier corrected their process on the leather to ensure it was not missed. I don't believe it was just isolated to 2011 models either! I have read dozens of complaints on 2012-2014 models also.

The dealership directed me to Jeep Customer Care, where I got the same response as many of you, "sorry for your bad luck". I escalated to management who only shared that if it became a big enough problem that they would get back in contact with me to let me know what they were willing to do about it. Case # 30655799

Any search on the web will show it is a huge and known manufacturing defect that they are dodging!

Slight bubbling on the dash started a couple of years ago, nothing serious, until this Summer (2016) when the whole edge of the dash next to the windshield turned loose, the dash wrinkled up and is embarrassing to have passengers see the disrepair of my vehicle. It is going to depreciate the sale of my vehicle by at least $3,000 when I get rid of it...which will definitely be before the end of the warranty! I only wish I could say I wanted to buy another $50+ Jeep product when the factory will not stand behind such an obvious manufacturing defect. To maintain customer loyalty Jeep truly needs to stand behind their products and do the right thing when problems like this arise.

This Jeep has been well cared for, mostly garaged, never off road, definitely not a wear and tear issue! Chrysler needs to wake up and do what is right and own up to their responsibility.

I will continue to pursue this issue to try to get some resolution from Chrysler, please post if you are able to get them to budge on this known defect. They are only telling me they will get back to me with a solution IF it ever becomes a big enough problem! Any one else having this problem should definitely post. Hard to understand what will get their attention, with Car Complaints listing this issue as severity 7.9 "Pretty Bad" rating! And in addition their note, "If you see a 2011 Grand Cherokee on a lot, just keep walking"! Mine has spent an inordinate amount of time in the shop for numerous mechanical and recall issues...that they have always taken care of until now......unbelievable. Chrysler need to step up and do what is right for their loyal customers, if they really care about keeping them!

- uncleroy, Dallas, TX, US

Oct 012014

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

As many other stated- The dash started bubbling along the edge of the glass a couple summers ago. This fall bubbling / separation started in center of dash, looks really bad. I am embarrassed to have clients in my Jeep. As stated prior there were issues with supplier missing a vacuum process on the leather that activates the glue. Most 2011 vehicles were built before the supplier corrected their process to ensure that it wasn't missed. The issue is due to a manufacturing defect and it will NOT be covered. ??? I even purchased a life time warranty- so now I have a luxury vehicle which looks terrible and a warranty which does nothing for me. Thanks Jeep.

Chrysler wake up- do what is right and own up to your responsibility.

- Steven T., North Haledon, NJ, US

Feb 152013

- cbuscemi, Ponce Inlet, FL, US

Mar 102016

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi

Dash board bubbled at 2 yrs / 22,000 miles. Leather rippled on dash. Chrysler replaced under warranty. about 2 years later same thing happened. Called Chrysler and they took 3 months to make a decision and denied the claim. Just went on forum and noticed 47 other complaints. I will be making another pass at getting Chrysler to fix the dash. My case number is 29581313 if anyone needs a reference. The customer service person said I should keep dash covered because I live in Florida. Chrysler should use a different glue so it doesn't happen. Anyone who has had success getting There dash replaced out of warranty please contact me. cbuscemi@cfl.rr.com

- cbuscemi, Ponce Inlet, FL, US

Aug 042016

Grand Cherokee Overland Summit 5.7L

I noticed my dashboard bubbling a few weeks ago just around the front windshield. This car has been garage kept 90% of the time. I started googling the problem and found that I'm not the only one with the issue. I spoke to the dealer about the problem and they indicated that they have seen a lot of this but Jeep won't repair it. I am in contact with Jeep directly and have filed a complaint. They indicated that if the dealership felt it was a manufacturers issue (which they did). they would consider it. Don't know the results yet but will not give up until I have definite answer.

This is just the icing on the cake. This car has been in and out of the shop for the past two years more than I care to count and I bought it brand new.

- Karen A., Collierville, TN, US

Jun 012016

leather dashboard is bubbling/wrinkling up

The reason I, for fifteen years and 5 different Grand Cherokees, leased for three years was the belief that auto manufacturers built cars to last through the warranty period and had perfected planned obsolescence or built-in obsolescence. When I leased the 2011 model, Fiat had just completely redesigned the car and after 3 years, I bought it. I also bought what turned out to be a brilliantly engineered built in obsolescence package. First the headlights, then the starter, now a cosmetic issue, coupled with the AC compressor fan failing...the cosmetic issue is way beyond the pale of what's acceptable. This car spends 90% of it's life in a garage. Almost overnight it looks like a beater. Really embarrassing to have a client ride in the car. So yes, I should have just leased the 2014 model and not trusted an automaker.

Having said all that...I believe this is a matter for a recall. This is a widespread problem and could very well affect the deployment of airbags. If not a voluntary recall, this should then be a class-action lawsuit. Very disappointed in Fiat Chrysler. I really had high hopes for this newly tooled company.

Update from Nov 28, 2016: Contacted FCA CEO Sergio Marcionne by email. Received a phone call from an assistant who said FCA would pay for a new dashboard. Called dealer, ordered the dashboard at my cost. When it arrived, I scheduled a service and paid for the installation. I then emailed a copy of the paid receipts to the FCA contact and received a check, that included the cost of a rental car, in ten working days. An awesome response to the dashboard problem. Thanks Sergio and FCA!

- brimelow, Atlanta, GA, US

Jun 012015

Grand Cherokee Overland V8

leather dashboard is bubbling/wrinkling up

I own a beautiful black 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Edition, with 52,000 mikes, the Jeep when purchased new was over $45,000. It has a leather dash that began to bubble a year after I purchased it. I have called Jeep to ask if there was a recall on the dash and there wasn't, however they were very aware of the problem as the lady I spoke with said so. She asked if I would like to document my complaint in the event there was a call back which I did do.

I have done extensive research and the 2011 Jeeps with 40,000 plus miles begin to exhibit this problem, where the glue begins to lose its adhesiveness and the leather begins to bubble. The cost is between $1500 to $2000 to repair and I have talked to enough people, some have been fortunate to get the dealership to replace/repair at no cost to the owners, others had materials covered and they paid the labor and others vice versa. It all depends on where the vehicle was purchased and how soon after the purchase the leather began to bubble will determine if you get any relief from the dealership.

This isn't a dealership problem its a jeep problem and while I absolutely love my Jeep I will be hard pressed to make another purchase (which I plan to do in 2017) if they wont stand behind their product and do the right thing when problems arise like this. If it was a safety issues you know they would be on it like a duck on a June bug, but because this is considered a "cosmetic" problem they wont lift a finger, because there is no threat to life or limb!

Disappointed in Marietta GA

Paul

Update from Jun 22, 2017: same problem but a worse condition. Jeep won this battle but I will win the war when I take my hard earned money to the Ford dealership to purchase my next new vehicle! Totally unacceptable!

- plovallo, Marietta, GA, US

Dec 042014

Grand Cherokee Overland 3.2L V6

The dash began to bunch up and large bubbles were formed but it was still not so bad as to do anything. Then one day recently the car was left out on a hot day and all hell broke loose. Now we have a dash that looks like crap. It has pulled away from the underlying plastic and is all bunched up. Going to a dealership to see what can be done but from the looks of other complaints nothing will happen.

- Terry H., North East, PA, US

May 022012

Grand Cherokee

My dashboard was coming up after the service person had to repair a minor water leak in the dashboard area. When we notice that the dashboard vent wasn't put back in place, it was immediately a wear and tear issue and nothing that the service person had cause. The leather also had a bubble in it. We paid for it to be repaired. I purchased the extended warranty but it wasn't covered by the warranty. If I ever get from under this vehicle, I will never purchase a Chrysler product again.

- Sandra G., Virginia Beach, VA, US

May 212015

Grand Cherokee Overland

I have always liked jeeps but beyond frustrated with them. Bought my 2011 overland "brand spanking new" in May 2011. I won't list all issues with this vehicle but will keep this post to the bubbling leather dashboard.

I first contacted customer care in May 2015 when I noticed the bubbling dash. I was quickly informed that it was not a safety hazard and therefore Chrysler would not be issuing a recall. But I could pay for a new dash out of pocket. Thanks customer care, I could have figured that out without your help. Deciding that if I had to pay for the repair I would go to a locally owned car upholstery shop. They wouldn't touch it but would put a cover over the dash. But they wouldn't 'pierce' the bubbles so the cover would at least lay snug. Thanks but no thanks.

I have a 48k vehicle that has been embarrassing as hell to drive and have passengers in when it's very noticeable my dash and defroster vents are sticking up. Which leads me to the latest issue with this...my defroster has not been working. I've had it checked and the defroster is working fine. But perhaps the vents being dislodged and the leather shrinking away from the windows to cover the holes the vents belong in could be causing a problem. Hmmmm, Chrysler this sounds like a safety hazard to me if my windows are going to stay fogged up! ADMIT YOU USED INFERIOR PRODUCTS AND FIX OUR DASHBOARDS!!!

- lcraze, Craw, FL, US

Jul 012014

Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L V8

Sounds like I have the same problem as a lot of Jeep owners with this leather dash. The dash started bubbling a few months after we bought the car used at 42,000 miles. Started as a small bubble, didn't think much of it. Well it has continued to bubble and peel up at the edges ever since and keeps getting worse. We don't even live in a sunny place. It's Oregon, it rains 9 months out of the year! This is terrible that Jeep won't fix something that is obviously defective. It is embarrassing when people are in my car and my husband hates driving my car because of it. This is our third Jeep but after this we definitely won't be buying another. We would have been better off getting the cheaper model!

- Alexis M., Beaverton, OR, US

May 112015

Grand Cherokee Overland V8

My Car started to Bubble and ripple on entire dash board. Started out as small air bubble and now the entire dash board is wrinkled, bubbled and sagging. I am so upset about this issue. I called Chrysler Canada and they were so rude and told me if I had an issue it was up to me to deal with it. I have read now, how many people are having same issue. I bought the top end of this car and expected it to last for a long time. Now I couldn't even sell it with the dash looking like this. Chrysler should help even by paying the labor or something. This is my 4th Jeep and now will be my last. When I called and told the lady this, she said "great! I will make a note about it" How rude.

If I had to write a complaint for each separate issue with this car, I would never be done writing!

- carolinecs, Toronto, ON, Canada