Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee:

Mar 252019

Grand Cherokee

It has now happened several times in which IżM driving and the Jeep suddenly loses all engine power, braking and power steering. This happens on the highway. There are never any warning lights or sounds to signal this is about to take place. This last time it almost made me cause an accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 062019

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall. When my vehicle is in motion arriving at an intersection, and I decrease the speed, the engine shuts down and at the same time the steering wheel is stuck, making it impossible to turn, and the brakes get hard. I have already taken the car 3 times to the Jeep shop and they have not been able to fix this problem. Since this problem started 2 months have passed and it has already happened 4 times. The car does not show any errors on the screen or afterwards when they are read. It is very dangerous because it always stays in the middle of the intersection without being able to do anything.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jan 212019

Grand Cherokee

I was driving down the highway at 60mph when I let off the gas and hot the brakes to slow down for a corner the engine shut down and I lost breaks and steering. I was able to muscle the steering through the corner and coasted to a stop. I put the Jeep in park, got the break pedal and started the vehicle back up. Everything seemed to work again. When I lost the engine, breaks and steering nothing else was effected. I still had lights, radio and gauges. But, no warning lights or codes came on.

- Ixonia, WI, USA

Dec 122018

Grand Cherokee

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the steering seized. The contact placed the vehicle in neutral. When the vehicle was restarted, it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to elgin Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (1010 E Chicago St, elgin, il 60120, (847) 697-0900), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jun 262018

Grand Cherokee

The vehicle consistently shuts off while IżM driving, losing power steering and engine power. It seems to occur when I am slowing down. This happens usually once/twice each week and most recently almost caused a high speed accident, as my car shut off while I was making a left turn on a highway, which caused a semi truck to swerve, nearly hitting me and my 4 year old son.

- St Charles, IL, USA

Jun 012018

Grand Cherokee

Every 3 months apart or so my vehicle has lost power on the engine causing it to shut down on me when I make a hard left turn while applying my brakes. The first time that it happened it was on the freeway on my way to work out of nowhere my wheel hot hard and when I was pressing my accelerator it was not working., the second time it happened when I was making a left turn and the same thing happened to me I had to get on top of the side walk because I couldn't steer it enough to make my turn. And my third time happened this morning while I was going under the bridge luckily for me no one was behind me but this problem is a situation ready to go wrong. Out of all these times I have been alone in the vehicle going on my way to work in the morning. Its always a scary experience for me. I do not feel safe driving the car. No codes no nothing. The steering wheel gets all hard that I can barely turn it to get on my right lane so I can put my car in park and restart it, from there it starts working fine like if nothing happened.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 092018

Grand Cherokee

While making a turn the steering and the brakes locked up and the engine shut off, causing me to lose control of the vehicle. This has happened twice 8 months apart. I've done the recall for the relay switch in 2015. This happened again (2nd time) yesterday April 9th, 2018. I almost hit a car at a light it was terrifying. The dealership has my Jeep now and said they can't diagnose unless they have an error code or unless it happens while the technician is driving it. Is Chrysler going to have people drive these SUV's and ignore that people could die" this is an extremely urgent situation. I don't feel safe driving my Jeep that I love. Please help"

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 202018

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While driving approximately 65 mph, the steering lost power and the vehicle shut down without warning. The contact activated the hazard lights, shifted into park, and restarted the vehicle. The dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not diagnosed. The failure mileage was approximately 106,618. The consumer stated the failure occurred on daily basis, usually while slowing to a stop.

- Brookeville, OH, USA

Mar 132018

Grand Cherokee

The car stalled and engine shut off while driving, decelerating around a left turning curve. Lost acceleration capability, power steering, brakes, and electrical system (no emergency flashers). Could barely control car and ended driving through curve, off the road, down into small ravine and into field. Were fortunate to avoid road signs and telephone pole. Car restarted after putting gear in park. Very afraid to drive this vehicle anymore. Not able to get appointment with Jeep dealer for another week. Research shows this could be related to faulty tipm. Our service records indicated this Jeep did receive Chrysler group safety recall P54 (NHTSA #14V530) tipm internal fuel pump relay replacement, which states is a potential cause of the car losing power. Seems to have not prevented the moving car from losing power.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Dec 272017

Grand Cherokee

Our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee stalls without warning. The issue usually occurs when slowing down and turning to exit the highway. We have had all recalls taken care of, and have had the Jeep in to the dealer several times for this issue with no resolution. The drivers ability to control the vehicle after the loss of power is significantly diminished. This has happened several times over the past year.

- Norman, OK, USA

Dec 042017

Grand Cherokee

Vehicle will unexpectedly stall during decelleration and braking. Vehicle loses all power to the motor and power steering, making it difficult to avoid collision and steer vehicle to safety. This happens at high and low speeds, and has occurred on 3 separate occasions in a 2 week time period. This issue was supposed to be addressed by recall number P54; of which I completed on this vehicle in 2014. This issue persists, and I am seeing other owners complain of this identical problem on various forums. Jeep/Chrysler seems to be inconsistent on the coverage of repairs and diagnosis. This is a real safety concern that should be addressed universally.

- Apple Valley, MN, USA

Dec 022017

Grand Cherokee 8-cyl

Fcw light on dash went on and all power went off, causing a total loss of steering and control on the freeway. This could easily result in a fatal collision. Updated 9/13/18

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Oct 302017

Grand Cherokee

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland V8 hemi stalls while slowing down to turn onto another road, or going from highway speeds to exiting a ramp. It's been occurring for several years. I've already had the fuel pump relay recall fixed twice, and my Jeep still stalls out almost on a daily basis. It turns out Chrysler issued a recall (T36) for 2012-2014 Jeep with alternator issues; however the information I have read on the recall sounds a lot like what is happening to my Jeep. 2011 Jeep gc overland should be included in this recall.

- Madison, NY, USA

Oct 122017

Grand Cherokee

Takata recall I just purchased my Jeep back in June and can view the service history. This complaint in particular has to do with extended crank. My Jeep takes awhile to start. I see that there was a fuel pump relay recall. I see in my service history that my Jeep had this part replaced: 02/02/2015 78,423 mi at jt's Chrysler Jeep Dodge Fiat. Again, according to the symptom/conditions, I am still experiencing the same issue, and would like this fixed as soon as possible because of safety concerns. I am experiencing or have a symptom/condition of a clunk and/or bump felt through the steering wheel under moderate braking or driving over rough roads (19-003-14) part to fix known issue is (ar) 05057539ad shaft, steering column intermediate. I would like this fixed as soon as possible because of safety concerns. I am experiencing a symptom/condition of a powertrain issue. When accelerating, I feel the transmission slipping and the engine makes very noisy and abrupt vibrations. All lubricant is new. I would like this fixed as soon as possible because of safety concerns. My window washing feature does not spew fluid onto front windows, however, will spew liquid on rear window. I would like this fixed as soon as possible because of safety concerns.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Sep 142017

Grand Cherokee

On multiple occasions, our 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland 5.7L engine stalls while braking and trying to turn corners. Recall P54 to replace fuel pump relay to correct this issue was done in November 2015, but the issue has continued. Most recently occurred Sept 8th, 11th and now today the 14th. Had vehicle in for diagnostics on Sept 13th and Jeep technicians were unable to find the problem. When this stalling occurs, there are no warning lights and apparently no fault codes generated. When motor stalls, we lose power steering and brakes and have ended up on the wrong side of road trying to get stopped. This usually happens when decelerating and braking to turn off or onto a highway.

- Bandon, OR, USA

Jun 192017

Grand Cherokee

Timp recall, was repaired Jan 2015. Today vehicle stalled in traffic, completely shut down and lost power steering, while making a left hand turn. I am lucky I was not in an accident. I was able to restart the vehicle. I have made an appointment with the dealer, but since it was repaired previously, not sure what they will do for me. Obviously there is still a problem the recall did not repair.

- Mokena, IL, USA

May 042017

Grand Cherokee

On May 4, 2017, approximately around 7:00pm, I turned right onto a freeway and my steering wheel locked up and the vehicle shut off completely. I was not able to turn the steering wheel and barely was able to make it out of the middle of the road. The engine shut off while driving down the road. I am luck that I did not have a car behind me or I would have caused an accident. How scary!! Chrysler has claimed that they have fixed this!!

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 062017

Grand Cherokee

When driving the engine will turn off with no warning. Since December until now, it has done this a total of 6 times. 3 of the times either merging onto the freeway or getting off of the freeway. Scares me so much. I have been lucky enough to not have anyone crash from the behind. My steering wheel locks, and the brakes become very hard to push down on. Its hard to move out of the way of traffic.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 062017

Grand Cherokee

While decelerating and making a turn the vehicle has shut off which causes you to lose steering and braking. This has happened to me on 4 seperate occasions

- Kingston, MA, USA

Feb 172017

Grand Cherokee

2011jeep Grand Cherokee overland had stalled in the middle of an intersection losing power steering, no brakes, and no warning lights on dash telling me anything about Jeep being turn off. Very scary! I hit the curb and almost hit the atop sign.

- Durham, NC, USA