1.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Patriot:

Aug 032019

Patriot

Major transmission failure prematurely. 2009 Jeep Patriot that will not shift from first gear or allow manual transmission options. Vehicle drove fine. Then when started an hour later vehicle would not shift.

- Franklin, OH, USA

Jul 012019

Patriot

I just purchased this car from a car lot with unknown issues sure enough a few weeks in I start to notice the jerking when I press the breaks and the hesitation to start as well and steering and noises coming from under the hood that auto shops could not figure out the reasoning behind. I need answered. I believe this car should have been on the recall list. There has to have been some king of mistake not putting it on there

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Nov 102008

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. Within less than six months of owning the vehicle, the rpms raced, the vehicle ran hot, and an abnormal noise was coming from the engine. In addition, the transmission idled roughly and the air bag warning indicator flashed. The dealer (nyle maxwell Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of taylor, 14150 us-79, taylor, tx 76574, (512) 218-5300) was contacted. The vehicle was also serviced by South point Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram (5210 S ih 35 frontage rd, austin, tx 78745, (512) 782-2163) for routine maintenance. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and referred the contact to a dealer. The approximate failure mileage was 500.

- Austin, TX, USA

Apr 032019

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. While driving 60-70 mph, the engine lost power, the vehicle decelerated, and the contact lost control of the brakes. Additionally, the transmission would not move into gear and the vehicle remained stationary on the shoulder. The throttle, fill cap, and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed, but the test could not read the codes. The vehicle was not repaired. Days later, the failures recurred. The dealer and manufacturer were not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Burton, OH, USA

Sep 082018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that the vehicle would start, but the gear shifter would not move out of park. Also, the malfunction warning indicator illuminated. The contact turned the vehicle on and off multiple times, but the gear shifter still would not move out of the park position. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. An independent mechanic informed the contact that the power control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 197,000.

- Coral Gables, FL, USA

Jun 052018

Patriot

My Jeep Patriot stalls when your at traffic light with no waring and sometime as your driving with no waring. Sometimes starts no problem and other time its hard to start. There no engine light or codes. This happen many times and I took to the mechanic couldn't fine what it could be because there no codes to diagnose problem........

- Homestead, FL, USA

Oct 092017

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. While driving 65 mph, the contact noticed that the engine began to stall and the transmission indicator illuminated. The vehicle began to slow down and made a grinding sound. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. When the contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, it operated normally. The vehicle was driven to St. Michael car care center (500 central ave E, saint michael, mn 55376) where it was diagnosed that the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer (stillwater motors, 5900 stillwater blvd N, stillwater, mn 55082) was informed of the failure and offered to trade in the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified and informed the contact of NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train), but the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- St. Michael, MN, USA

Apr 062018

Patriot

My Jeep try to stall at traffic lights and stop signs. I had a tune-up done, but it stills tries to stalls.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 152018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 30 mph, all the warning indicators illuminated and the vehicle stalled. In addition, the vehicle decelerated to 15 mph and failed to accelerate before stalling. The vehicle was able to restart. The dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 114,898.

- North Vaersailles, PA, USA

Sep 042017

Patriot

When accelerating the car occassionally would act like it wanted to go, then slowly start to shift to move. There would be a whining noise when slowing down, but no lights came on until 2 days before. The check engine light came on and the car stopped moving while I was driving down a rural road 2 days later.. 105K miles.. regularly serviced..

- W Terre Haute, IN, USA

Apr 022017

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. While the contact's daughter was driving 35 mph, the vehicle started to vibrate violently when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal and the vehicle failed to accelerate, but the rpms remained at 5. there were no warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. Prior to the failure, the contact's daughter took the vehicle to a dealer for a noise in the engine. The vehicle was diagnosed with needing a new battery, sparks plugs, and transmission. The vehicle was not repaired at that time. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 96,000.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jan 022017

• 1,000,000 miles
Severe acceleration jerk. When accelerating between 5 and 60 miles an hour the engine and drive train jerk excessively as if the engine isn't getting fuel. Will not jerk immediately after tank fill up bu will after next time driven until filled up again.

- Marshalltown, IA, USA

Jun 012012

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. While decelerating to a complete stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart on the first attempt; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 08V528000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 18,500.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 042016

Patriot

Little by little the electrical to my car has been going. Im the first owner and first the front power windows, then the horn and then the lights stopped working. Then my car started stalling out of no where when I would accelerate. They say its the PCM but I never abused and always took care of my car.

- Elmwood Park, NJ, USA

Mar 182016

Patriot

Takata recall: Use SUV purchase in 2014 from korner Ford. Air bag light is coming on every 30 seconds for know reason. This should be covered under all warrenties as a safety hazard and not wear and tear. Stationary in public parking lot as I started the ignition. Has been on for 1 week as of to-date 03/31/2016. Verbally told that I had bumper to bumper coverage. Person is no longer there and my coverage is limited.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Mar 182015

Patriot

Had a very noticeable vibration while driving car. Took into dealership and mechanic was able to stick his fingers through the "K" frame and noticed 3 giant holes in the frame from corroded metal. Upon investigation it was noted that on 5-19-14 that the 2007 Jeep Patriot was recalled for the exact same thing (23-012-14) due to corrosion of the K frame which ended up extending the warranty indefinite. I contacted Chrysler and explained my frustration with the situation and asked that since there was a recall for the same exact situation for the 07 if there was anything they could do for me. They proceeded to tell me there was nothing they could do because my year was not recalled even though it was the same issue. Due to this I will have to buy a new vehicle on short notice due to the safety of driving my family in an unsafe vehicle I bought brand new 6 years ago. I feel that Chrysler should take responsibility for something they documented as a problem even thought it "only affected" vehicles 2 years prior to mine instead of just ignoring the customer's concerns and worries. Due to this I will never purchase another Chrysler vehicle for the way the treat their customers.

- Richfield, OH, USA

Nov 122014

Patriot 4-cyl

My Jeep came with a lifetime powertrain warranty at the time I purchased the Jeep in April 2009. I was verbally told at the time of purchase to have the transmission checked before 50,000 miles. I have taken my Jeep into a local dealership a few times over the last few years to have minor things repaired and for normal maintenance. At those times I asked the dealership to check the transmission so I could comply with the warranty. I took my Jeep to the dealership again on 11/12/14 to get a minor problem fixed and I was told that my lifetime powertrain warranty had expired. I was told that since I did not bring my Jeep into the dealership on the 5 year anniversary of purchase (April 2009 - April 2014) to have the transmission inspected, that I failed to comply with the terms of my warranty. I was not aware that I was required to bring my Jeep into the dealership in April 2014 for the inspection. I was told that I could have it inspected anytime before 50,000 miles, which I did multiple times. I called Chrysler and was told that they should have sent me a notice by mail. I never got such a notice. Chrysler failed to properly notify me ahead of time to have my transmission inspected before April 2014. Chrysler told me that it was all my fault for not thoroughly reading my owners manual. They denied having any responsibility in this. According to Chrysler, it is not their responsibility to notify their customers about such things. It is the responsibility of the customer to read through the owners manual and remember to schedule service 5 years in the future. I am upset with Chrysler over this. Now my Jeep does not have any warranty on the powertrain. Chrysler has no concern for customer service. Only about making and saving money at the cost of the consumer. By canceling my warranty, they avoided having to pay for any powertrain services I may have in the future.

- Winter Park, FL, USA

Oct 162014

Patriot

I purchased the vehicle on Sept 27, 2014. On Oct, 17, 2014 after driving for about 30 min. My transmission became overheated and slowed down to 40mph. The same thing happened today 11/1/2014 after driving 60 min. One way 1 X. on the way back my Jeep stopped 3X in 60 min.

- Lake Providence, LA, USA

Jun 242014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the transmission and power training control module light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle decelerated to 40 mph and the steering wheel became difficult to steer. The contact shut off the vehicle and restarted ten minutes later, and the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred on ten different occasions. The manufacturer was contacted and did not offer a remedy. A local mechanic diagnosis on the vehicle was that the power train control module was faulty and needed to be replaced. There were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The failure was 80,000 and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Patriot 4-cyl

Vehicle will stall with no/little warning. Stalls generally occur during wet and/or humid weather conditions, however does also occur during dry conditions. Stalls usually occur during idling while the vehicle is in gear (stopped at intersections or in traffic), but can also occur during initial acceleration from a stop. This issue has been occurring since early 2012 and is increasing in frequency. Chrysler has a related recall (08V528000, "power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM)"), which seems to exactly describe this failure, however Chrysler claims that this specific vehicle is not included in the recall.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA