Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

May 172019

Patriot

I have been trying almost 2 months to get my vehicle recall service. Problem the dealership does not have the part in to correct the problem. Everytime I am told to call back next this is terrible service the recall is for emission recall- catalytic converter efficiency I scheduled an appointment for recall service last week for 5/17/19. When I arrived the dealership didnt have me on the appointment book & all the parts were not in. My vehicle isnt driving smooth. This problem should have been repaired immediately

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Apr 192019

Patriot

It was confirmed by the dealership my 2012 Jeep Patriot been diagnosed with an internal fuel tank failure. My manufacturer date was Nov. 2011 and a recall was issued in Dec. 2011 to replace the fuel tank (of course my vehicle didn't qualify). I do not have $1600 to replace something that Chrysler should take responsibility for and fix. I have a feeling that they knew that these gas tanks were faulty before Dec. 2011, and in order to not have to replace them, they took the easy and barely any money out of their pocket route and did a recall for the transfer hose hoping that would correct the issue which if that's what they thought, sorry it didn't work. I do not feel safe driving the vehicle, let alone trying to put gas in it with the gas pump shutting off every few cents. The only way I can put gas in is by a very slow trickle which takes about 10 - 15 minutes. Within the last few weeks, it's getting even more difficult as I hear the gas backing up in the filler neck. The dealership was not any help other than telling me how much it was going to cost without any explanation as to why it happened. We need help in getting Chrysler to address this issue before someone gets killed. Someone please hear us and help us and do something now!!!

- Middletown, DE, USA

Mar 202019

Patriot

On my way to work, my car stalled 3 times while at a stop light and once while moving. After the moving stall, my engine light came on. The error code is P0339. It also stalled twice on my way home from work. It didn't stall while I was moving on the second trip because my foot happened to be on the gas when it tried to stall. I felt the car jerk backwards then re-engage the engine back to where it was before it almost stalled. The car had done a little jerk every once in a while, but now it's multiple times in a single trip.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 012018

Patriot

Around 50000 miles the engine started to stop accelerating during operation. During driving on a highway or city street (at all speeds) the engine would begin to malfunction without warning and the maximum speed that could be met was about 10mph with gas fully engaged. Pullingnover and restarting the vehicle would override this for a short time. It started to occur more frequently to the point I would have to restart my car a approximately 15 times to make a 9 mile trip to work. Happened several times driving on a highway at speeds of up to 65mph and almost caused accidents several times before I could pull off on to the shoulder. Eventually after months of this occurring at random intervals the car shut off while driving resulting in total loss of engine power and steering ability of the vehicle thankfully on a quiet back street where I was able to leave it after pushing it in neutral and have it towed. After several months of being in the shop and thousands of dollars later its running with a new engine. Multiple friends and family members with the same vehicle model make and year have this issue all around 50K miles.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Dec 172018

Patriot

Catalytic converter recall it appears that my 2012 Jeep Patriot was not included in the recent catalytic converter recall of 2011-2016 Jeep Patriots. Yet, my vehicle would not pass pa state inspection in December of 2018 due to the catalytic converter and failed emissions tests. After paying $1200 to get my catalytic converter repaired in December, fca is now issuing a recall in March on all 2011-2016 Jeep Patriots" except mine? why? futhermore, fca Canada was aware of the problem and issued a recall on the same vehicles back in 2018. Why was fca America so slow to issue a recall" I want to be reimbursed for the money (I'm not a large corporation with billions of dollars) I put out for repairs to a vehicle that should have been recalled sooner and were caused by fca's attempts to save money and circumvent the epa's emissions and safety standards. Thereby jeopardizing the health and safety of hard working honest americans.

- Bridgeville, PA, USA

Mar 012019

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. While the vehicle was being refueled at a fuel station, the fuel pump clicked off before enough fuel entered the vehicle. The failure recurred at different fuel stations. One attendant attempted to fill up the tank manually, but was unsuccessful. There was no warning indicator illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was not provided.

- Middletown, NE, USA

Feb 042019

Patriot

Gas pump keeps clicking off when fueling. Mechanic tested evap system and stated vehicle needs a new fuel tank. The Jeep has 62,000 miles on it and has been well maintained. This is an unusual repair and is extremely high in cost. I believe this should be included and covered with the other fuel tank recalls on Jeep Patriots.

- Elkton, MD, USA

Nov 152018

Patriot

When fueling, gas pump shuts off after ~1pint, must wait to drain down, another pint click off, drain down, another pint, wait to drain down- takes about 15 minutes to fill tank. Engine stutters on acceleration, RPM's drop 500-1000, probably fuel delivery related. All coils, plugs, filters replaced, injectors cleaned.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jan 052019

Patriot

When I was at the gas station, fuel pump kept shutting off. I took to the dealership. The problem is the rollover vent valve on top of the fuel tank does not open to release air. They told me I had to replace the whole tank and their estimation is more than $1800 before the tax. I see the same problem people filed here. The repair should be on the manufacturer side instead of customers.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Dec 042018

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. After the contact filled up the vehicle with fuel and while driving at unknown speeds, the vehicle stalled. Also, the check engine indicator illuminated. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted, but did not assist. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 122018

Patriot

Issue is I cannot fuel tank due to fuel tank valve stuck. I just had the esim replaced because that was what the dealer said was the issue. Problem wasn't resolved and now I have to replace fuel tank. I saw where there were other vehicles experiencing this same issue and were recalled.

- Lancaster, OH, USA

Oct 192018

Patriot

When I try to put gasoline in my car, the pump keeps shutting off. This is very frustrating. I have tried different gasoline stations. Had this problem before, but now it is worse every time I try to put fuel in the tank. I contacted the dealer, they told me no recall for for my Jeep.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Oct 012018

Patriot

Valve in filler neck will not allow fuel to enter tank.

- Greenville, IL, USA

Jun 012018

Patriot

Purchased from a used car dealership /01/2018 and the first time I went to put gas in the tank it kept cutting off rapidly not allowing me to fill it quickly.I took it to the local Jeep dealer for help and they diagnosed it needed a new fuel tank. At the cost of 1300.00+ dollars. The fuel neck had previously been replaced but this was not the problem. Now I am stuck with this as I can not afford to fix it.

- Waynesboro, PA, USA

May 072018

Patriot

After filling up with gas, my car starts to "buck" and has bad acceleration even while driving 70 down the freeway. It continues this problem until I have only 1/4 tank of gas and even goes beyond that. I'm starting to have problems with the car starting also and it smells badly of gas fumes.

- Northville, MI, USA

Feb 062018

Patriot

My car recently developed issues with a faulty fuel tank valve. This makes it difficult to pump gasoline. There was a recall in 2012 Jeep Patriots for this issue (M11). However, my car was not included in the recall.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Dec 082017

Patriot

The vehicle is stationary and motor turned off. It is next to impossible to fill the fuel tank with gasoline. It must be done extremely slowly or gasoline comes bursting out everywhere. The local dealer attributes it to a check valve which is inside the gas tank and when broken will not allow air into the tank when filling with gas. This is a design flaw with Chrysler vehicles, and quite dangerous. It is also common for vehicles with this problem to stall when in motion, another very dangerous situation.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Jan 082018

Patriot

Car gradually stopped taking gas. It would click off and not allow additional gas to be put in. Initially this was at half a tank, then a quarter, then before I could even get the gas light off. The car was evaluated by three different mechanics, all who confirmed it was a gas tank issue identical to recall M11. This issue also effects the safety function which keeps the tank from catching on fire in the event of a rollover accident. We contacted Jeep multiple times, but were told that this recall includes cars manufactured as late as January 2012 but does not include my car which was manufactured in February 2012. Jeep refused to look into the issue further because the car was not included in the recall.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Dec 182017

Patriot

I had a 1/4 tank of gas and went to the gas station to fill up. While pumping, the gas pump kept shutting off. I thought something was wrong with the gas pump so I went to another pump and the same thing continued to happened (I only got a few gallons). Later that day, I went to the gas station again and the same thing was happening, the pump shutting off. I was able to finally fill the tank after repeated shut offs, pumping and shuts off again. In 2014, I had the repair done (recall for the fuel tank transfer tube) however this is the first time I am experiencing this problem with my gas tank. I did some researching and it seems to be the gas tank vent system is not venting quick enough causing the gas is backing up. I will be calling my dealership to see what they can do about this. My real question is was the recall repair "faulty"?

- Middletown, DE, USA

Dec 242016

Patriot

Vehicle frequently hesitates and/or occasionally stalls at both low & high speeds. Most often occurs on inclines. Took in for repair more than twice and still occurs. The technician witnessed it but could not produce a vehicle analysis conformation an accident occurred last christmas eve when vehicle stalled after accelerating from an idle at a stop light. The vehicle halted in traffic and was hit from behind. Also, stalled on the up-slope of a high bridge traffic on the gs parkway (NJ) at hwy speeds. After numerous failed start attempts it finally restarted a couple of hours later. The car has also decelerated or hesitated on several occasions while driving at different speeds without an incline. Also, vehicle makes grinding noice when turning during acceleration; mostly on right. Multiple lights (headlights, brake, signal and parking lights) have been a problem.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA