Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Jeep Renegade:

May 102019

Renegade

Purchased 4/20/2017 the problems began with the ac going out at 10000miles. The dealership didn't want to fix it told us to drive with the windows down. After arguing about our warranty we got a loaner. Next they replaced the wiring harness 2 times. Again, did not want to provide loaner had to complain for them to honor warranty agreement. Then transmission skips and radio frequency hub was replaced twice while in the shop for 4 months from Dec 14 2018 till around March 17 2019. Steering module replaced due to the steering wheel in the center getting completely hot. Complained about the transmission skipping still. Check engine light always comes on. Automatic start faulty. Will attach all repair invoices. Most recent! 5/6/2019, a Monday the car was scheduled due to a recall on the fuel pump and the automatic start would not work. Along with that when the car started the screen would flash warning signs: Emergency break system, airbag system warning. The service department claimed to not have a loaner. However, Friday 5/10/2019 I had not received a call back and on my way to take my daughter to school. The emergency breaks locked up while driving 70 mph down fm 1289 heading to port O'connor, Texas from port lavaca, Texas. I went straight to the dealership and demanded a loaner. The vehicle is clearly a lemon! however larry taylor, a service technician, told us "I value my life I would not drive this vehicle". paul perez service department manager said "I wouldn't put my family in that vehicle." Then they demanded we bring the loaner back 5/17/2019 to pick up our vehicle. The vehicle according to them had a short circuit, this is the second time mind you, and made the emergency breaks engage and the seat belts malfunction. Also, the airbags malfunctioned flashing warning as the breaks locked up. I could only select 3 options but seat belts needs to be checked.

- Port Lavaca, TX, USA

Mar 142018

Renegade

Getting false warnings on instrument panel such as lights being that are still working, service electric park brake, sometime the service the electric park just intermittently comes on and goes off now it just stays on and parking break is functioning properly

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jan 192019

Renegade

After a few months of use the brake rotors had deep scoring and were replaced by the dealer. At less than a year the brake rotors and pads scorn again and now the vehicle pulls to one side when the brakes are applied hard.

- Friendsville, MD, USA

Feb 072018

Renegade

As driving out of the dealership I could hear the brakes squeaking. My first thought was since it was a brand new car, maybe the brakes need to be broken in. Although, now having over 20K miles, the brake squeak has gotten worse over time causing my rotors to become damaged with deep grooves. The car also jerks when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. It is embarrassing, especially when passengers in the vehicle, for my brand new, barely a year old, car to be jerking so roughly. If you are experiencing this same problem or something similar, please speak up so this problem can be resolved. There are others with the same complaint but have not spoken up, now is the time. Dont wait!

- Downey, CA, USA

Dec 172018

Renegade

I was hearing a noise when I brake so I took my car to the dealer to have the front brakes looked at. I was told that the front rotors needed to be replaced. I was shocked because the car is 11 months old with 19,152 miles there is no way that I should need to have my rotors and brakes replaced. I researched and found that this model is known to have brake pad issues which causes the rotors to have grooves. It is unacceptable that I should have to replace brakes this soon.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

May 042018

Renegade

The contact owns a 2017 Jeep Renegade. While driving various speeds, the vehicle inadvertently veered to the right and a severe vibration was felt. In addition, there was an abnormal noise and jerking when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to turlock Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram (1600 auto mall dr., turlock, ca), but the failure could not be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 287.

- Turlock, CA, USA

May 182018

Renegade

I was turning into my parking space slowly with the brake slightly depressed. As I pressed further on the brake the car accelerated suddenly. I pressed down hard on the brakes and the car didn't slow down and smacked the retaining wall. The dashboard lit up with the parking brake (did not press) and the car with the lightning bolts. I don't know what just happened.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

May 022018

Renegade

Took my 2017 Jeep Renegade sport to the dealer for regularly scheduled oil change and tire rotation. They did change the oil and rotate the tires as scheduled. They did notify me that the rotors would need to be replaced before the vehicle could pass inspection. During the conversation the dealer said these vehicles were known for having too hard of a brake pad and the pad grooves the rotors. At the time I was notified of the situation the vehicle had less than 19,000 miles and was in the 11th month of ownership. I have been reading many forums regarding this issue and noticed that the last three model year of Jeep Renegade has been having the same issue. I am very unpleased by the fact that I now need to replace both front rotors, pads, and labor on my dime for a vehicle that I have owned for less than a year.

- Three Springs, PA, USA

Mar 282018

Renegade 4-cyl

I picked up my Renegade from the service center yesterday for major issues with the auto shutting off while driving, blue-tooth, key fob, auto-start, acceleration and tire gauge issues. On the way back to work it felt like the brakes were grinding. As I was approaching a stop sign, the car was going around 15-20 mph and it lunged forward and stopped very hard and abruptly and the emergency brake then turned on, on its own. I turned it off and cautiously proceeded. Now, whenever I put the car in park, the emergency brake automatically turns on and the car feels rough while driving, like the brakes are partially engaged while I am driving. I have only put less than 10 miles on the Jeep since picking it up yesterday. This is a real threat to my safety. This is my second complaint and the fourth major issue. Do I need to die in a crash before someone will listen to me and help? these cars need recalled and taken off the road.

- Wooster, OH, USA

Sep 112017

Renegade

The contact owns a 2017 Jeep Renegade. While the vehicle was stopped, the contact believed that the brake pedal was being depressed. The vehicle inadvertently lunged forward and rear ended another vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle inadvertently lunged forward a second time and rear ended the preceding vehicle. The contact was certain that the brake pedal was depressed during the second failure as well. There were no warning indicators illuminated. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. Upon starting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the speedometer changed from mph to kph. The vehicle was not taken to an independent mechanic or dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact believed that her vehicle was being hacked. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 4,700.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 042017

Renegade

On at least six different occasions while making a slow speed left turn (under 15 mph) and once while making a left U-turn (at approx. 5 mph), my 2017 Jeep Renegade experiences a loss of power and the ABS warning light flashes. There is no acceleration while stepping on the gas pedal. This condition lasts approximately 3 - 5 seconds. On one occasion, the vehicle behind me nearly rear-ended me as my vehicle slowed. The dealer has explained that the vehicle is experiencing a condition that exceeds a parameter set by the software. There have been no codes "set" by these occurrences. They are a bit unnerving and a safety concern. This concern began when the Jeep had approximately 1000 miles on the odometer. I now have 6700 and the last occurrence was August 4, 2017.

- Schofield, WI, USA