Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

Dec 122015

Wrangler

The contact owned a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 35 mph, another vehicle crashed into the driver side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained a head bump, but did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to the dealer's collision body shop. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Jun 222016

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a local mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic informed her that the B1B02 (driver side air bag clock spring assembly) was experiencing a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was informed that the failure needed attention as soon as possible to prevent an air bag failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not under warranty. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Tucsan, AZ, USA

May 072016

Wrangler

On my 09 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag light and chime come on and off during my daily comute an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicles aibags. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2008 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying. At first my horn stop working (also caused by a faulty clockspring) and didn't think much of it, but I had to look into this matter a little deeper when my airbag light came on.

- South Gate, CA, USA

May 012016

Wrangler

The vehicle's airbag light illuminates when the steering wheel is turning. The clock spring is defective. There has been a recall on this part and I am not sure why my VIN number is not being chosen for the recall when it has the same symptoms as all the vehicles that are recalled. I am nervous to wait for it to possibly get recalled in case I am in an accident.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 242015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. After the vehicle was started, the driver side air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V176000 (air bags). The failure mileage was unknown.

- Colleyville, TX, USA

Apr 072016

Wrangler

My airbag light keeps going on and off and chimes with ever time it is engaged on the freeway. I believe my airbag system is malfunctioning which is a safety concern.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Jan 112016

Wrangler

On the 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard (mileage 79,600), the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Daimler Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jul 152015

Wrangler

The airbag light on the dash comes on and stays on. When turning the wheel sharply, the light goes off and then comes back on again when coming out of the turn. The vehicle was taken in for service and I was told the clock spring was bad and needed to be replaced. My understanding is that similar Jeep have been recalled for this and that the investigation has expanded to include my model and year as well. Attached is the estimate from the dealer showing the need for repair.

- Clifton Heights, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Wrangler

My airbag light came on and my cruise control stopped working. I took the vehicle to the dealership and they stated it would be $500 to fix because it is not a recalled item. I have been waiting patiently for the recall because many other Jeep Wrangler owners are having the same issues. My vehicle was stationary. One day I simply went to start the Jeep and the light came on. I was headed to work and always use my cruise control when I am on the highway, but it would not work.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Oct 152015

Wrangler

Air bag light remains on, therefore the air bag may not deploy as intended in an accident. This is a known problem with the 'clock spring' as Jeep is recalling certain model years and not others - Jeep needs to recall and fix this safety issue on all Jeep models, not just a select few.

- Apex, NC, USA

Oct 122015

Wrangler

A few weeks ago while making a left hand turn I heard a pop and then my airbag lamp (dash light) started coming on and dings when the car is started (very annoying)...I looked in the manual and it told me this meant there was a problem with the driver's air bag. I did searches on the internet and found that a lot of vehicles are being recalled for a know issue / recall for clock-spring assembly in the driver's airbag system that could cause it to malfunction and not deploy during a crash. I found a few sites that listed my make / model of Jeep as one of the recalls... but when I called the Chrysler / Jeep customer service & took it to the Chrysler / Jeep dealership to have it diagnosed- I was told my make / model was not included in the recall so I had to pay for it out of my own pocket ($499.17 to be exact - see attached invoice). Talk about a shock - I would have never guessed that it would be this expensive - but to be protected and safe in my vehicle it had to be done. I am hoping to also voice my concerns & hopefully protect other people and possibly prevent deaths of innocent people that are not aware of the problem so they can get the defective airbag clock-spring assemblies replaced. I also requesting that this incident be reported, investigated and hope to be reimbursed for this expense I pray that someone else does not have to spend the time, money or worry that I've had to go through in order to get this issue fixed... hopefully before it causes an injury or death!

- Anderson, MO, USA

Oct 292015

Wrangler

Faulty clockspring wiring for airbag. Replaced for $500 this is a known defect for RHD models that has prompted a recall. After many complaints, the 2007 lhd model warranty appears to have been extended as well. However, I had the same issues with my 2009 lhd model (160,000 miles). This is a known defect that should be absorbed by the company and not the customer!

- Kingston, RI, USA

Oct 252015

Wrangler

I have a bad clock spring.which can cause the air bags not to work and I am reading this a common problem.think this needs to be addressed since this seems to common problems which is safety related.the airbag light comes on and off while driving

- Rehobeth, AL, USA

Oct 122015

Wrangler

A few weeks ago my airbag lamp (dash light) started coming on and dings when the car is started (very annoying)... I looked in the manual and it told me this meant there was a problem with the driver's air bag. I did searches on the internet and found that my year, make & model Jeep had a know issue / recall for clock spring in the driver's airbag system that could cause it to malfunction and not deploy during a crash. When I called Chrysler they said my VIN number is not in the list of recalls but that it didn't mean that wasn't the problem because of the large recall for this issue. They want me to pay to have the problem fixed at the dealership myself and then file a complaint with them for re-imbursement... which I find to be ridiculous - if its a know problem with my vehicle then they should honor it and fix the issue without me being out the money!

- Anderson, MO, USA

Mar 172010

Wrangler

As with hundreds of other left hand steer Jeep owners, our airbag light is on, horn does not work, and cruise control is inoperative. NHTSA and Jeep have deemed it okay to repair these problems on the right hand steer which is a very small percent of all Jeep. Get on it, start the recall, it is unsafe, and why should we have to pay the price when Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler know this is an issue. I have been trying to get this fixed and talking to other 2009 owners since March of 2010. Let's go.

- Bonaparte, IA, USA

Mar 022015

Wrangler

Air bag light became continuously illuminated & the warning ding makes a sound off and on while driving the vehicle, determined clock spring in the steering column was defective. Looked for a recall for this issue, but found there was only one for right hand drive Jeep. I did, however, find an open investigation & many complaints for this same issue on left hand drive Jeep.

- Smithville, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Wrangler

Airbag failure illumination, took it to the dealer they indicate the clock spring in the steering wheel was the issue and may cause the airbag to deploy with out a crash. I contacted Jeep they indicated that this was a maintenance issue not a safety issue, they did say they would chip in and only charge me $600.but that offer was only good for 30 days after I reported the issue. This left me with no other recourse other then paying the $600 to pull the fuse to the airbag system. I now note this has been a problem on right hand drive vehicles like mine. I have contacted Jeep several times and each time they have refused to cover this issue. So know I turn to you.

- Derwood, MD, USA

Apr 142010

Wrangler

Clock spring failed to to date the clock spring has been replaced 3X and now needs another one they only have a 1 year warranty. Air bag light on horn disabled no cruise control no traction control or antilock brakes what clock spring fails.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Aug 272015

Wrangler

Started my Jeep and the seat belts light rays on. It comes and goes while driving.dealer said sounds like the clock spring. I know there was a recall on RHD Jeep but what about th lhd ones.

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Jul 072015

Wrangler

The clock spring ceased to work turning off the airbag, there was a shudder and the tcs (traction controlled system) began braking on its own. Then when the brakes were depressed the system went shuddery and quit working. This is a known issue with 2007 thru 2013 Jeep Wrangler and there is a recall on the part, except that crysler has determined that it only affects a very limited number of Jeep. This is not the case. A search on google will show hundreds of cases where the clock spring breaks, causing the airbags to become turned off and the end and tcs systems to go haywire, making the vehicle uncontrollable and undriveable. Chrysler has refused to recall the part in Wrangler Jeep Liberty and two other brands. The hazzard is compounded immensely if you happen to get (death wobble) yet another unfixed issue. This will lead to accidents and death, if it hasn't already.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA