Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

Jun 092014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated the air bag light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000 and the current mileage was 54,938.

- Bakersfield , CA, USA

Apr 152014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light goes on/off while driving. Does not matter if turning, accelerating, etc. Reading prior threads, it looks like the clock spring under the horn is the issue. Concerned the airbag will not deploy if involved in a crash, and the light is on.

- Boise, ID, USA

Apr 182014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed however, the contact noticed that air bag clock spring was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 29,000. Updated 6/10/14

- Hilo, HI, USA

Feb 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light and chime continues to come on. After research, this is an clockspring issues that apparent on numerous Jeep. A recall was submitted for 2007 models for this issue, but not on 2008 and newer models.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Mar 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Air bag light came on while driving. After some quick internet research it seems the clock spring in the steering wheel of 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Jeep Wrangler fails. This causes and open circuit and air bag disables. Vehicles was brought to Jeep dealer on April 19, 2014. Dealer verified that the clock spring was bad and there was an open circuit to the driver air bag. Jeep would not assist in replacement of the part saying it was was normal wear and tear item. This is a safety issue and there have been many reports of this part failing early in the life of the vehicle. Dealer charged me $320 parts and labor for the repair. I believe Jeep should warranty this item indefinitely since it is expensive to repair and most people will forego the repair and risk their safety.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Apr 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Airbag light is on, had diagnostics checked, driver airbag circuit open. Jeep states that Jeep is not covered by recall.

- Melrose, MA, USA

Apr 032014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

On the 2009 Jeep Wrangler jk dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on and chimes randomly (no specific time or activity caused), an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags.this has been a recurring issue and concern for many Jeep Wrangler owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler kduring an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. Chrysler has approximately 5 different recalls on jk Jeep revolving around the air bag system. Chrysler has refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 062012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Made a left hand turn from a stop sign and the air bag light went on and has not gone off since. Jeep has informed me I am at risk because the air bag will not function in the event of a collision. I have been informed only right hand drive Wrangler have been recalled for this and the warranty has been extended for ten years. This is a costly repair. It makes no sense to me how or why this issue does not warrant a recall.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Mar 092014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving the air bag light comes on intermittently, flashing and dinging, called Chrysler who informed me that there is only a recall on 2007 and 2008 models as well as models built in Feb 2009, apparently my vehicle was built in April 2009.

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Sep 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Drivers air bag light goes on and off intermittently and randomly.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Feb 052014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 69,000.

- Manchester, PA, USA

Nov 252012

Wrangler

Airbag light continually goes off and on while driving.

- Andover, MN, USA

Mar 152013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have not been in an accident yet, but a year ago I started having electrical issues inside the steering wheel of my 2009 Jeep Wrangler. I was told it is called the clock spring. With a bad clock spring, my horn and cruise control does not work, and also my air bag light is always on. If I were to get into an accident I do not feel safe knowing my air bags are not working properly. Also, with a bad clock spring there are chances of my air bag activating randomly for no reason so that really worries me. I have almost been wrecked into several times and I am not able to honk my horn. When I took it to the local dealership, I was basically told that it has been a very common problem in 2008-2012 jk Jeep Wrangler but they did not have the part to fix it. I figured there would be a recall for it since it is such a common problem, but only the right hand drive Jeep Wrangler had a clock spring recall. I believe the recall number for those are M31 and L37. I don't understand why the left hand drive 2009 jk Jeep Wrangler are excluded from this recall. This is very hazardous and I feel unsafe knowing my air bags may not work and also knowing I could potentially cause an accident if my air bags go off randomly. Not only that, but I know more Jeep like mine that are driving around with the same problem. I would really appreciate it if this issue could be looked into. Thank you for your time.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Sep 302013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I am writing to complain that my 4 year old vehicle has a major failure in its air bag safety system. I've called the dealer and asked if there were any recalls on my specific vehicle and was told no. I then wrote to Jeep which involved a timely process of joining a Jeep member club. After complaining to Jeep I was told there was no recall or warranty left on my vehicle. How can you sell a vehicle and offer financing but they cant warranty a part that has failed, and is not a commonly replaced or wearable item. Only to find its replacement part is only available through the dealer. I have owned and operated a repair facility for 7 years and have never had to replace a clockspring on such a new vehicle. Being a rare fix even on an older vehicle. Usually only replaced after an accident. Please help!!

- Stafford, CT, USA

Oct 162013

Wrangler

The air bag warning light and warning tone started coming on and turning off in approx. One minute cycles.I looked in the owners manual and it warned of a possible problem with my air bag and it needed to be returned to the dealer asap. The dealer checked it and said that the air bag clock spring, is broken and needs to be replaced. The dealer service consultant warned that the air bag may go off on its own when being operated normally or, not at all in the event of a crash. This Jeep is a left hand drive vehicle and not covered under warranty. In doing on line research I have found many, many complaints of this same kind. I feel that Chrysler should be required to replace it at their cost because it is a safety issue on a fairly new vehicle, also the right hand drive cars are under warranty.

- Prescott , AZ, USA

Nov 052013

Wrangler 6-cyl

On my 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes every few minutes with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags. I have my 2009 Jeep Wrangler at the dealership and they confirmed that it has a faulty clockspring within the steering wheel assembly. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2008, 2009 and later Jeep Wrangler (lhd) owners. This faulty clockspring is the culprit for potential airbag failure in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler (lhd) during an accident or premature deployment when simply driving around. I have called Jeep/Chrysler and they refused to address the safety concern of their faulty clockspring that can cause failure of the vehicle's airbags from properly deploying. I even pointed out to them that 2007 (lhd) Jeep Wrangler had their warranties extended to 150,000 miles or 10 years for this same issue and all 2008-2012 (RHD) have been recalled for this issue (NHTSA action number: PE11019. Recall 11V528). To support that there is an issue, when I called a Jeep dealership's parts department they told me the clockspring for my 2009 Jeep Wrangler has been superseded by 8 part numbers. That is 8 times they have worked on fixing this part, but they refuse to warranty on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 172013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Warning light for airbag system is activating every 30-50 seconds. Contacted my service department, they stated it is a "clock spring" in the steering system. Apparently, there are many claims for this from Jeep Wrangler owners.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 192013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Air bag light/chime began illuminating frequently (approximately once every few minutes) throughout the course of every drive, regardless of distance or speed. I took vehicle to dealer for inspection where it was determined the clock spring was defective. Part was replaced under a consumer purchased extended warranty.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Aug 072013

Wrangler

Airbag light came on while pulling out of residence. The horn nor the cruise control currently work. After some research online, discovered there are many instances of this exact problem (clockspring). Chrysler acknowledges problems with the clockspring in the right hand drive version of Jeep Wrangler, and the 2007 left hand drive models, but nothing after. After speaking with Chrysler, they told me they simply "don't care, because we've never heard of a single complaint regarding it", which is quite surprising considering all the complaints I was able to find online.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 262013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The airbag light actuated and upon further research I have found that it is symptomatic with the clock spring in the steering column. I contacted a dealership and Chrysler with no resolution. There is a recall out for the clock spring in 2008-2012 models but it is in a limited lot number. The airbag light is intermittent and only when the steering wheel is rotated.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA