2.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Wrangler:

Dec 012010

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, he drove over a road bump and the vehicle shook violently. The contact had to apply immediate pressure to the brake pedal to control the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and a lift kit was installed on the suspension. The failure recurred approximately 14,000 miles later. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The contact also stated that various dealers offered no assistance. The failure recurred repeatedly. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Feb 222012

Wrangler

My wife had just taken our 2009 Jeep Wrangler to the dealership for routine maintenance, which included an oil change and tire rotation. On her way home from the dealership the vehicle started shaking dramatically so she pulled off the road and called me. I told her that if the tires were rebalanced then a weight might have fallen off causing one of the tires to be out of balance and told her to try and drive it home at a slow speed. She was able to get the vehicle home and the shaking did not happen again. A couple days later she took the Jeep back to the dealer and asked them to recheck the tire balancing. They indicated that one of the tires was out of balance so they fixed it and we thought the problem was solved. A couple weeks later I was driving the Jeep at about 55mph when we hit a small bump in the road and it started a rather violent shaking and wobbling in the front end of the vehicle. I had to slow down significantly to regain control of the vehicle. My wife took it back to the dealership and they drove the vehicle but said they were unable to get it to duplicate the shaking and they indicated that there might be a problem with the drive shaft. I started driving the vehicle more often in order to take note of all the conditions present when the shaking occurs and to try to diagnose the problem. I was surprised when I started to research it on the internet and immediately found several websites discussing a condition referred to as a "death wobble". the symptons described are precisely what we have experienced. There is a violent shaking and wobbling of the vehicle and you have to slow down immediately to regain control. Our Jeep is stock and no after-market modifications have been made to the suspension system. I consider this to be a significant safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving down the highway @ roughly 55 mph, my 2009 Jeep Wrangler hit a small bump in the road. My steering wheel began violently shaking side to side. I immediately pushed on the brake and tried to safely slow the vehicle without causing the vehicle behind me to crash into me. I pulled-over to the shoulder. This vibration referred to as "death wobble" occurs each and every time I am traveling between 55 and 60 mph and, I brake or hit a bump in the road. It is an awful sensation.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Jeep "death wobble" steering wheel oscillates violently back and forth at various speeds after hitting small bump in road, car taken to Jeep dealer tsb which calls for larger steering stablizer installation done, all suspension parts found to be good including tires and balance, however, problem still occurs, fear for life for myself and family when driving car especially in winter.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Mar 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble as shown on websites, going 50 or so miles per hour, front end wobbles uncontrollably!! uncontrollable, extremely unsafe at time, when shaking and wobble starts!!! has almost caused an accident on each of the <<<3>>> times this has occurred!!! why is NHTSA and Jeep waiting for people to be killed before something is done to help everyone on the highway with this obvious safety issue"?? very scary and frustrating. Think of your family's life as well as all of us!!! we are all at risk. How many lives need to be lost???"

- Altoona, FL, USA

Dec 292011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway around 65 mph during rush hour traffic. I hit a bump in the road and the front end of my Jeep felt like it was violently bouncing from side to side. I could hardly keep the vehicle in my own lane. I was terrified. I got off the road as soon as possible. I got out, looked at it and saw nothing wrong. I called my husband, and he would not let me drive it home. He drove it to our mechanic, and other than my brakes needing work, he found nothing wrong. The mechanic fixed my brakes and I took it home. The next time I took it out, it did it again. My mechanic took it back, drove it himself, and the Jeep did the same thing. My mechanic did some research online and said it was the "death wobble". he tightened some bolts on the bar that aren't the right size for the vehicle.. it didn't help. Now I have a Jeep that I am afraid to drive, and really can't afford to fix, if it can even be fixed. From what I researched online, it seems to only get better for awhile, then the problem returns. Why isn't Jeep taking care of this problem" do people have to get injured or killed before they do something" the lemon law may be my only option if it can't be fixed, and I may have to keep the vehicle for some time before that could go through. Please do something about these Jeep with the "death wobble".

- Valatie, NY, USA

Dec 042011

Wrangler

I experienced a classic "death wobble" as described on Jeep problems.com. Extreme shaking from side to side and loss of ability to steer until I slowed down below 20 mph.

- Alameda, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

I have had this Jeep in to the dealer 5 times now for the same problem. It is only 2 and a half years old. The first time I brought it in was approx 4 months after I bought the truck brand new. They have yet to fix the problem. When you drive approx. 55 mph on a highway, and possibly hit a little bump, the car will shake uncontrolably. You cannot hit the break or it gets worse but sometimes your forced to because you will crash otherwise. The whole front end wobbles to a point where you loose all control of the vehicle. The dealship stated the first time after it happened that they fixed it... the other two times they said the same thing. The fourth time they decided to say it was my tires. ( I dont know why they all of a sudden changed the problem). Rotating the tires fixed the problem for about 6 months until I had to bring it in again and they now state they can't find anything wrong with it. But apparantly there is. Very fed up with the whole situation. And very nervous driving the truck.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA

May 102011

Wrangler

While driving on highway at approximately 55-60 mph my Jeep has started to violently shake and shudder after hitting a bump. It will only stop shaking after pulling over to the side of the road and slowing down to 15-20 mph or stopping all together. The day it started we were taking a trip to new orleans and it happened 6 or 7 times in less than 100 miles. I will be taking it in to the dealer in the morning, but after a quick search of the NHTSA database it seem this has been a regular occurrence and recurrence with Jeep for many years. Luckily we were on a secondary highway when this occurred and not on a major interstate at 70-75 mph (yet). The wife is now terrified to drive the vehicle and I'm not to comfortable with it at this point. To make matters worse we're being stationed overseas and planned on letting our son in college use the vehicle which doesn't seem like a great option at this point. We've also noticed, for the past few weeks, the manual transmission will jump out of 1st gear when taking off. I looked forward to owning a Jeep 4-door for some time and this is rather disappointing and I wouldn't have even considered buying it if I had been told this would happen, especially with less than 20,000 miles on it, none of which are off-roading miles. I believe Jeep should have to warn it's potential customers if they do not want to bother fixing an obvious design flaw and should have to remove all their "trail rated" badges from all vehicles. It's no wonder Chrysler is having financial troubles since they can't make a 4X4 that can handle a bump.

- Biloxi, MS, USA