Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Jeep Wrangler:

Sep 142018

Wrangler

I purchased on September 14, 2018 that has what is called the "death wobble". it only occurs when driving over 60 miles an hour. It is caused by a faulty steering damper. I brought it in for the first time in December 4, 2018 when I could not gain control of the car and almost wrecked. It was the 6 time it had happened. The car was seized immediately, it was a safety issue. I was told to clean the car out and they couldn't tell me when I would have it returned. I also was having them check the brakes as they had been squeaking. I did not receive the car back until January 8 2019. At that time, I was told it was fine. The brakes continued to squeak and when it snowed, I found out the defroster was not in working order. I was told the defroster part was on back order (still not fixed and its April 1, 2019) and they grinded the pads or rotors due to a glaze on them. The brakes were soft and still squeaking. On February 20 they said they would order new brakes. March 1, brakes locked up and I almost wrecked. I pumped them and they worked after that. I immediately drove the car there and left it. The brakes were replaced, and I picked the car up on the March 7, 2019. March 16, 2019 I was going over the bridge at 65 miles an hour and the "death wobble" started again. I asked my husband to drive it and it did it to him as well at about 65 miles an hour as he went over a bump. We left town on Sunday March 17 and did not return until the 22. On March 23, 2019 we brought the car in. The technician confirmed it was the steering wheel damper was faulty again. To this day I still do not have the car and have been told that they have a "new" part. This will be the 3rd time. Ddocuments, do not show every time I was in there nor what was really happening. It said my brakes were soft and didn't mention that they locked up and seized to work.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Apr 022019

Wrangler

At highway speeds if I hit a bump I get what those in the Jeep community call a death wobble. I have to reduce my speed to a dangerously slow speed, especially during busy morning and afternoon commutes. I have had the stabilizer replaced twice, the 3rd time I went in the service group said they couldn't replicated so they can't do anything any car that has something called a death wobble should not be on the road. Its absolutely rediculous that this is a thing. I am in a 9 month old car, 12K miles, this should not be happening today was the last straw - car driving next to me on highway, as I was dealing with the problem opened his window and yelled that my tire was shaking. This needs to be addressed

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Feb 052019

Wrangler

When driving at highway speed hit bump my truck shakes violently that I have to slam breaks just to get trunk under control this is known in the Jeep forums as the death shake the steering wheel shake along with entire truck.I have had my Wrangler serviced twice already and they put in steering damper in the first time and 1 month later it was doing it again then I brought it back and they replaced it again the damper was bad from factory not even a week later its doing it again,

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Mar 292019

Wrangler

I have a 2018 Jeep Wrangler sport unlimited with 7,000 miles. I have been experiencing a violent shaking when hitting a slight bump in a road traveling anywhere from 45-70 mph. The violent shaking has been so bad that I have had to pull over several times on the highway. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer 5 times for the issue. Repairs were made and eventually the steering dampner was replaced. My dealer is now in the process of ordering an aftermarket part to replace the original but that piece is on backorder for several weeks. The violent shaking continues and I feel that it is getting worse and is a safety concern in my opinion as this continues to happen on the highway while traveling the speed limit at 60+ mph. I honestly do not feel safe traveling with my young children and don't feel comfortable with the process my dealership is taking or that the "fix" they have planned will work.

- Delmar, NY, USA

Mar 212019

Wrangler

If I run over a bridge expansion joint or bump in the road at highway speeds the front suspension will start shaking and my steering wheel will feel completely loose. Sometimes it corrects itself and other times it is such a violent shake you have to reduce your speed down to 40 mph or less until it stops. One incident was when I was exiting the highway and as I was merging in I hit a couple of bumps in the road. It started to shake so violently that I thought I was going to loose control. Thankfully I was only doing 35 to 40 mph. It was so bad the person beside me slammed on their brakes. I had to slow down to 15 mph before it stopped. Then it was like nothing ever happened.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Feb 122019

Wrangler

I have brought my vehicle to the dealership two times for the death wobble. On highways, going 55+ if my car hits an uneven surface or bump, the car shakes uncontrollably until I reduce my speed. It doesn't happen every time, but noticed its when my foot is still on the gas upon hitting these bumps. Horrifying - especially driving with children. People driving next to me could see the car doing this at one point

- Medford, MA, USA

Mar 222019

- Medford, MA, USA

Mar 122019

Wrangler

Violent shaking of the entire vehicle when hitting a bump at highway speed (72mph) shaking is so violent that holding onto the steering wheel is near impossible. To correct the issue the vehicle brakes must be applied with force to slow the vehicle by 30mph or more within seconds, risking a rear end collision at highway speed. This vehicle has no modifications, all parts and accessories are factory installed and maintained. Dealership has replaced the steering dampener with issue continuing. This issue has been occurring off and on since approximately 10K miles of use.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Mar 232019

Wrangler

!!! car currently @ dealership for 5th time for same issue !!! when driving @ hwy speeds and hit a bump divot or pothole the entire Jeep violently vibrates shakes and sways from front to back. After the latest "fix" now it still vibrates shakes sways and now bounces the vehicle into another lane my family & I nearly hit another vehicle on the hwy on Saturday 3/23/19. We have had the vehicle into dealership 4 times since January 2019 for them to fix this issue and fca/dealership have no idea how to remedy this issue. After this last incident on 3/23/19 I don't want my family or myself in this Jeep. I was very scary on 3/23/19 being bounced into another lane with other cars right behind and along side of me. It was a white knuckle driving experience I don't want to happen again. Its dangerous unsafe alarming & threatening to all drivers!

- Lithopolis, OH, USA

Mar 202019

Wrangler

Jeep Wrangler shakes uncontrollably after hitting a bump at highway speeds. Need to slow down precipitously to get it to stop shaking. For instance have to slow from 65-70 to 35. Usually does it 2-3 times every time I'm on 4 lane highway. Had local mechanic look into it. Have not had it to dealer yet.

- Edmeston, NY, USA

Mar 202019

Wrangler

While driving on the interstate around 65 to 70 mph, crossing over bridges or overpasses my steering wheel shakes uncontrollably until I slow down to about 15 mph. This has happened dozens of times the last time I almost sideswiped a tractor trailer. I've taken it to the dealership twice now and the uploaded a program that didnt do anything. I was told no recall yet but others are posting same issues in forums.

- Glen Easton, WV, USA

Feb 222019

Wrangler

Hit pothole on interstate traveling 65 mph and experienced severe motion in the steering and suspension to the point of almost losing control of vehicle. After looking at videos online related to this the experience is being referred to as the "death wobble" found on Jeep forum. This is a stock Jeep not modified in any way in terms of larger tires or lifted suspension. The problem spontaneously resolved when I slowed to around 40 mph. I was not turning or changing lanes at the time it happened.

- Parkersburg, IA, USA

Mar 192019

Wrangler

At first when traveling at high speeds in cold weather the steering would become extremely stiff when turning left and then it would loosen up quickly causing the vehicle to swerve very badly. The dealership updated the steering modem and it stopped for approximately 3 months. This week when going straight over a bridge on the highway at high speeds the vehicle shook violently (referred to as death wobble) and it felt like the tires were going to fall off. It has been with the dealership for 5 days and I still don¿T have it back yet.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Nov 182018

Wrangler

I leased my Wrangler October 28 2018. Within two weeks I got what is called the ¿death wobble¿ the steering shakes uncontrollably and the front tires shake side to side when you hit a bump going over 50mph. Took vehicle in to dealer. After waiting over two weeks steering damper was replaced. Two months later same issue. Took back to dealer new steering damper put on along with what they said was ¿other issues ¿ I now know they also replaced the track bar. Two weeks later same issue. Took to another dealer whom I heard delt with this more. They again replaced the track bar. Two days later same issue. I filed a complaint with the manufacturer. They say it doesn¿T fall in the lemon law. I have no answers and am forced to drive an unsafe vehicle under 45mph. I have no answers and the dealership says there is nothing they can do.

- Mayfield Hts, OH, USA

Nov 012018

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 70 mph onto a bridge, the front end of the vehicle suddenly began to shake and vibrate violently. After reducing the speed to 40 mph, the shaking and vibration ceased. The vehicle was taken to walker Jeep Chrysler (102 orchard park rd, hurricane, wv) where a suspension damper was installed, but the failure continued. The contact indicated that suspension dampers were installed on three separate occasions, but the failure continued. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,000.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Dec 082018

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2018 Jeep Wrangler. While driving high speeds, the vehicle violently vibrated. The vehicle was taken to preferred Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram of muskegon (3146 henry St, muskegon, mi 49441, (877) 565-0628), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the damper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Feb 042019

Wrangler

Severe wobbling at highway speeds usually after hitting bump or uneven pavement.

- Duxbury, MA, USA

Feb 212019

Wrangler

Wobble after hitting bump, expansion joint, or pot hole at highway speeds.

- California, MD, USA

Mar 082019

Wrangler

Takata recall I purchased a 2018 Jeep sahara with 18 miles on it and have brought it to the shop 2 times for death wobble. It still has the issue and its getting worse. The Jeep dealership seems to have no answers on how to fix it. The last issue made me slow down to approximately 20mph on the highway nearly resulting in a rear ending accident.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Mar 082019

Wrangler

After hitting some minor pot-holes on the highway while going 55-60 mph, the front end of my Jeep began shaking violently, making it hard to hold the steering wheel to control the vehicle. I had to come to almost a complete stop to regain control, this has occurred twice, with the dealer changing the steering stabilizer both times. The first time it happened was about a month ago, this time it occurred on 03/08/2019

- No. Massapequa, NY, USA