Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Kia Rondo:

Jun 082019

Rondo

Several times when in rainy conditions the car have lost the power steering, making a horrible noise, engine and battery lights turn on. Very scary and dangerous situation due to not being able to control the car at all. Only option is to stop the car, turn it off and wait till is operational again. It happened while hitting puddles of water or in heavy rain. I did contact Kia about it and they only said there is not a recall.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

May 092019

Rondo

Any time there is water on the road while driving my car loses steering and braking capabilities. Doesn't mater if it is a small puddle or a large one, even if just damp on road. Instrument panel lights come on and a loud squealing noise happens. Like the car is stalling. I took the car to my mechanic to be looked at and they said the shield is in place and this shouldn't be happening they placed the belt tensioner and the problem is still happening. This has happened numerous times.

- Cropseyville, NY, USA

Mar 062019

Rondo

Passing through water puddles or driving in the rain the steering locks up. I had the power steering belt replaced but the problem still exists. I had it lock up while making turns. It's very dangerous.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Nov 102018

Rondo

Steering locks up when driving through a rain puddle. This has happened 4 times in the last few months. Vehicle was in motion on city streets and at highway speeds. This has happened while going straight and turning.

- Hudson, OH, USA

May 092018

Rondo

On three occasions within the past twelve months, I have completely lost power steering while driving. The wheel becomes almost unmovable (I am a strong, adult male). On one of these occasions, the weather was damp and the engine also stalled. Fortunately I was able to muscle and coast the car onto the shoulder where I was able to restart the car and drive away. On the remaining two occasions I was driving at 65 mph on the interstate when the power steering ceased to work. Terrifying and deadly. Latest event was May 9, 2018.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 082017

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. While driving various speeds, the engine stalled and the power steering seized without warning. The contact pulled the vehicle over to the side of the road. The contact restarted the vehicle and it returned to normal. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 122013

Rondo

Any time there is water on the road my car loses steering and braking capabilities. Doesn't mater if it is a small puddle or a large one. Instrument panel lights come on and a loud squealing noise happens. I took the car to be looked at and they said the shield is in place and this shouldn't be happening. I bought the car in 2010 and it started doing this in 2013.

- Fostoria, OH, USA

Jan 022017

Rondo

When it is raining and it seem it only happens when my front passenger side tire gets wet from puddles in the roadway. The battery light and airbag light comes on and the power steering goes out. My car does not stall and after pumping the brake some to dry out the brake then the lights go out on the dash and I get the power steering back. From this list of other having the very same issue Kia needs to address this. This just started within the past 9 months and I have had the car since 2010. Kia can't keep ignoring this issue.

- Norwood, OH, USA

Jul 252017

Rondo

Multiple occurrences of power steering cuts out in wet conditions with battery light and another light illuminating. Once the lights go off, power steering is regained. It is my daughters car and now we I don't let her drive when it rains or if it is wet out. Kia states there is no recall or tsb for what I am experiencing. How is this not a safety concern? each occurrence the car has to be stopped and at highway speeds this has almost caused a crash multiple times. When making a turn have to slam on breaks to the stop to regain heading control.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Feb 172017

Rondo

Multiple times during heavy rain my car would loose power steering. The battery and emergency break lights would come on. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the car (el cajon, ca) and they said everything was fine. This typically happened when turning or driving through large puddles. Steering shaft would lock up and on occasion a high pitched squealing sound could be heard. Very unsafe and very scary!

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 312016

Rondo

2009 Kia Rondo - 115,000 miles. For the past 2-3 months, the steering locks up when I go through rain puddles, first making a loud noise underneath, then loosing power. Two lights appear on the dashboard. I have found if I turn off the air conditioner, the problem corrects itself. This has to be associated with the air conditioner or air compressor. We just went through tropical storm hermine and this was a constant problem. Something needs to be done by the dealer - such as a recall to get this fixed before the car crashes and I have no control.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Nov 012013

Rondo

Since I purchased the car at the Kia dealership in nc - it was raining and I drover over a puddle of water, I was making a right turn in the process and all lights turned on on dash - it slowed my car down almost turned off. Airbag light turned on (still on). Car turned back on but everytime it rains - I am afraid because my car stalls and it stops depending on the amount of water. This is dangerous especially if I am on the highway. I called the Kia shop and they find nothing wrong with my car and I have to pay to get the airbag light fixed. I don't think I should pay for something that I did not break. Since I have had my car - it has done the above at least 4 times and the airbag light is still on.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 192015

Rondo

Lost power steering after going through a puddle today during a rainstorm. I was going about 25mph when I stopped at a stop sign the attempt to turn right onto a curved right uphill. It lasted a few seconds a charger light went on but that also lasted a few seconds.

- Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Nov 112015

Rondo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. While driving at an unknown speed, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. Updated 1/15/16

- Dansville, NY, USA

Jun 082015

Rondo

In October 2014, my car lost power steering when going through puddles. I got the alternator belt replaced and it seemed to fix the problem. In June 2015, it occurred again. I took it to lokey Kia in clearwater, fl to fix the problem (along with an air bag issue problem) and they diagnosed it as an ac compressor problem (they did not replicate the problem) and the air bag issue was due to the clock spring. I did not have it repaired that day and came home and reported it on this website. I got a call from Kia Corp. Office of product liability saying that they called because of my complaint here. (I only reported the power steering problem here, not the air bag issue.) in the end, Kia paid to have the air bag problem fixed and not the power steering claiming that the airbag issue was a "safety" issue and they were repairing it for free in "goodwill." They would not repair for free or reduce the cost of the power steering problem because it was not a "safety" issue and the problem I originally reported here!! how is losing my power steering not a "safety" issue? I am terrified to drive my car in the rain, especially with my grandkids in the car.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. While driving at approximately 5 mph through a puddle of water, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the power steering belt failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Apr 042015

Rondo

The contact owns a 2009 Kia Rondo. Whenever the vehicle drives through water and has a splash, the battery light illuminates and the power steering fails for a few minutes. Initially, the contact thought the failures were caused by heavy rain and large bodies of water; however, they occurred any time the vehicle went through water. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Feb 182015

Rondo

While driving 30 mph, through a puddle, the car lost all ability to steer. Power felt as if it shut off for approximately 1 minute. Not the first time this has happened. Can you please investigate or do recall for whatever parts need to be replaced"?"

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 012014

Rondo

When conditions are wet, power steering freezes up. Dangerous. Took to dealer, everything is fine, but it is still doing it. What is the resolution? there should be a recall.

- Pleasant Plains, IL, USA

Nov 232014

Rondo

Every time I went through a puddle today the parking brake/brake fluid light and the charging system warning light would come on. It also lost power steering while this happened. It lasted only a few moments but with traffic and kids in the back, a few moments is long enough. This happened with every puddle and even on the freeway when water splashed underneath!!

- Portland, OR, USA