7.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

Feb 152016

CX-5

On multiple occasions, when temperatures are 25 F or lower and it is snowing or raining it is impossible to keep the windshield clear of ice. While driving at normal speeds 25 to 50 mph on local roads and highways, the snow would melt on contact with the windshield, refreeze, and the wipers would freeze solid and not make contact with the windshield over the majority of the windshield. I had to stop every several minutes and use a scraper to remove the windshield ice to see safely. This condition makes for very difficult and dangerous winter precipitation driving. The only chance of of getting minimal viewing area was to keep the function selector on full defrost, the temperature selector on full heat and the fan on high. This was still a losing battle and extremely uncomfortable in the vehicle. The fan noise is incredibly loud, the wipers are loaded with ice and thumping on the windshield and your face gets ridiculously hot because on the defrost function more air is directed back at the side windows than is directed at the windshield. What an extremely poor design and function of a basic defrost system. Even during cold weather with no precipitation the poor function of the defrost system cannot keep the windshield free of fogging over unless the selectors are set on full fan, heat and defrost. Now we have to live with a car that should be a great, safe all wheel drive, all weather vehicle in new england that can't handle defrosting the windshield during our winters.

- Milford, CT, USA

Dec 202015

CX-5

On multiple occasions, when temperatures are 25 F or lower and it is snowing, it is impossible to keep the windshield clear of ice. While driving at normal speeds 25 to 50 mph on local roads and highways, the snow would melt on contact with the windshield, refreeze, and the wipers would freeze solid and not make contact with the windshield over a large part of the glass directly in front of the driver and front seat passenger's eyes. No change was noted when the car was idling at stop signs or red lights. We had to stop every several minutes and use a scraper to remove the windshield ice to see safely. This condition makes for very difficult and dangerous winter precipitation driving. Ironically, we bought this all-wheel vehicle mainly for just this type of driving in snowy mountain areas where we drive frequently. The car was taken to the dealer and inspected under warranty. The technician inspected the defroster and wipers and said everything was working properly and there is nothing they can do to improve the situation. We don't know what to do as the care does not preform under the exact winter conditions we primarily bought it for.

- Damascus, MD, USA

Jan 052016

CX-5

Car had a total of 145 miles, only driven 4 days since new and there is a large crack in the windshield, on the passengers side starting at the very top and extending down past the rear view mirror and curved toward the center. No rock hit or chips caused this.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Jan 052016

CX-5

I have a new 2016 Mazda cx 5 grand touring. I am about to have to get my windshield replaced for the second time due to it cracking. The first occurance happened while I was driving on the freeway. I heard a "crack" and looked over and noticed a shatter like crack on the passenger side the size of a silver dollar that quickly cracked out to the middle of my windshield. The windshield was on back order due to none being in stock. I had to drive around for 2.5 months with a cracked windshield until one finally became available. The second time it occurred was about three days ago. I had just parked my car in the garage and went inside for a few minutes and came back out to grab some things and noticed a crack on the drivers side on the brand new windshield I had just paid to get replaced about 2 months ago. There is a small chip in the glass, however, I feel like if a rock or something did hit my windshield, the glass should not crack that easily. I have owned previous vehicles where rocks have hit the windshield with no issues at all. I have read that many other CX5 owners have had windshield issues as well which makes me think there must be some type of manufacture defect. It is definitely a safety issue since the windshield is the only front protection between the driver and the road.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Jan 022016

CX-5

On 2 January 2016, while travelling northbound on interstate 880, at approximately 3 pm, approaching the hegenberger exit. I heard a a "crack sound", followed by another "crack sound", at which time the crack became visible. Glass crack emanating from passenger side windshield edge towards the center of the vehicle, approximately 14 inches in length.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Nov 162015

CX-5

Purchased 2016 Mazda Cx-5 in June 2015. Within two weeks, cracked windshield. Two months later, second cracked windshield. Two months after that, cracked windshield. Two months after that, cracked windshield. Now...another two months later, I will be on my 4th windshield. When these crack, they create high glare and blinding moments when sun or headlights catch that crack. There is a manufacturing or design issue with this product. And also an accompanying safety issue. I only noticed these cracks after the vehicle had been sitting. Recourse?

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 242015

CX-5

After one month of ownership, a crack developed in the windshield from the top, center. The crack extended down to the center of the windshield creating a large oblong oval. There is no evidence of being hit by road debris. The Mazda service center confirmed this and declared it a manufacturer defect. It has been over 5 weeks and I am still waiting for the replacement windshield to arrive. The issue appears to be rampant enough that new windshields are back ordered with no indication of when it will be available.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Jul 192015

CX-5

The car was parked over the weekend in a very secluded county location (no other people around). I noticed a large crack in the front windshield two days later when I next used the car. There are no visible chips on the glass. The crack spread outward from where the rear view mirror is attached. I believe this is a factory installation or defective part issue.

- Pownal, VT, USA

Jun 152015

CX-5

The windshield easily chips and cracks. There have been numerous complaints about this issue and Mazda seems to do nothing about it. It is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt or dies.

- Highlands Ranch , CO, USA

Apr 152015

CX-5

Glass cracked from top, middle portion of windshield glass, no apparent sign of rock chip. Spread immediately into viewing area. Concern for overall safety and integrity of glass. Advised by dealer to contact insurance, advised by insurance it's a $500 deductible. Online research has led me to believe that this is a manufacturer defect as it has high numbers of complaints.

- Belleville, MI, USA