7.1

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

Jun 112019

My allstate rep told me that I have 4 recalls

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 292017

CX-5

First occurred on 9/29/2017 and more often after 2/3/18 battery drains, no start have had the vehicle battery jumped 5-6 times, replaced battery same occurrences, have taken battery to be charged twice. Further inspection a week later on battery and a draw test 1, came back good. Couple of weeks battery had drained again. No start noticeable signs of drain. Airbag light on and off, have had it serviced previously. Heat and A/C not projecting like normal. Stains on windshield. Design error there is no key entry on trunk when car malfunctions. Dashboard and/or display screen will occasionally stay on when car turns off. Driver window rattles. Command switches for display screen replaced still sticking. Seat belt has scared stomach.

- El Cerrito, CA, USA

Jan 252019

CX-5

Large fish hook shaped crack on windshield of my 2016 Mazda Cx-5 with 23000 mles. The crack appeared on a 55 degree morning after I pulled my vehicle out of the garage and drove half a block to a stop sign and I watched the crack appear. The crack starts at the top center edge of the windshield goes down about 6 inches, then goes into the view of the driver. It was about 18 inches that morning and has grown to about 30 inches and a huge fish hook shape in the view of the driver. I went to the dealer and was told it was caused by a stone impact. It was not an impact, I should know, I was driving. The dealer also told me that it was not covered under warranty, even if it is a defective windshield or installation at the factory. With a little research I am seeing a lot of Cx-5 owners are reporting similar issues with the windshields cracking for no apparent reason. This is a safety concern the NHTSA needs to investigate.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Jun 102018

CX-5

The vehicle was parked in a driveway when a basketball bounced off the hood of the car and then hit the windshield. There was no damage to the hood but when the basketball hit the windshield it shattered the right top side of the windshield.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 052018

CX-5

I recently bought a used 2016 Mazda Cx-5. five days later, I went to get in it after work (not a hot day) and found a crack running from under the top seam straight down and then feathering out. No impact damage. Parked in a secured lot. It didn't look right, so I looked up Mazda windshields and found out others had the same issue. I found the crack distracting as I drove, especially if I needed to look over to the right side. Took my car to Mazda the following day. They agreed it looked strange, but said they were unaware of any windshield issues. And yet I found many others on line had the same issue.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Mar 162018

CX-5

Front passenger window completely shattered when driving on the highway. No apparent rock or debris hit the window before the glass completely disintegrated. A loud bang was heard as the glass shattered from the center. Unsure as to longevity / durability of the Mazda oem glass windows as car model is relatively new. So far have not had any other issues with the other windows of the car. The tempered glass, however, did shatter as correctly designed, no injuries.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 132018

CX-5

The contact owns a 2016 Mazda Cx-5. while driving 65 mph, the front windshield shattered. The contact called a local dealer (john hine Mazda, 1545 camino del rio South St, san diego, ca 92108) and was informed to schedule a service appointment. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and referred the contact to the local dealer and NHTSA. The failure mileage was approximately 14,000.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 152017

CX-5

2016 CX5 developed spontaneous stress fracture in windshield running from top right edge of screen across to middle of glass. It was not being driven at the time, nothing hit the windshield, it just cracked.

- Granite Bay, CA, USA

May 022017

CX-5

After two months of ownership the windshield cracked due to a rock strike. The windows was replaced with an oem windshield. Three months later the windshield cracked randomly without any damage (rock etc)

- Cambridge, MA, USA

May 142017

CX-5

2 weeks old vehicle windshield cracked after parked in the sun for 3 hours.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jan 252017

CX-5

During daylight hours, the chrome around the vents reflects onto the side windows. This causes a distraction, making it very difficult to look into the side mirrors. I contacted Mazda about this, they do not appear to plan to do anything about it. Nothing yet has happened to me about this, but I am concerned that it might happen to me or someone else. An easy fix would be to replace the shiny chrome trim with a darker trim. I attached some pictures to show this. The pictures do not show exactly how bad it is, but it will show that there is a problem.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jul 282016

CX-5

My 7 month 2016 cx 5 with 15,000 miles was parked at work. When I got in my car to go home, my windshield had a large crack down the middle from the top spreading out on both driver & passenger sides into the viewing area like a spider web. It started right where the black plastic housing is for the tech pkg sensors behind the mirror. I stopped at techniglass on my way home & damon checked it out & said there was no sign of a rock chip, it was a stress crack and it should be covered under factory warranty & that he has seen it a lot on Cx-5's. also told me the windshields were on back order & they cost $1100. The following day I took it to dahle Mazda in slc for 15,000 mile service & showed them the crack & asked them to replace it under the factory warranty. They came back & told me they did fine point pen trick & there were two rock chips & it is not warrantable. I showed them techniglass note showing there were no rock chips & their diagnosis of a stress crack. Asked for the service manager & shared this info & 30+ complaints from online NHTSA & mazda247.com websites confirming the defect with other cx 5 owners. Made him document their refusal to replace on my service record & told him it was unacceptable & that I was going to file a complaint with Mazda usa & NHTSA. He said he would also check with Mazda usa to see if he could do anything & that he would call me backż..he never did. I also learned that techniglass and other 3rd party windshield replacement companies cannot get these replacement ws from their suppliers, they must order them direct from the Mazda dealer, which I find concerning. This is clearly a manufacturers defect & needs to be addressed by Mazda usa.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 222016

CX-5

2016 Cx-5 is less than a year old and already on its third windshield. The filed complaint list for this car is just one cracked windshield after another and definitely needs to be investigated further.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 052016

CX-5

Windshield cracked when driving at highway speed with no immediate traffic in the area. Crack occurred during morning transition from cool temperatures to about 20 degree warmer. Heard a small pop and then saw the crack grow until it extended from the frame to about half way across the passenger side. If the the crack was caused by an impact the rock or debris was incredibly small as there is only a slight depression in one part of the crack.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 252016

CX-5

My 2016 Cx-5 was parked in my driveway when I noticed a crack in the middle of my windshield starting at the bottom under the seal and going up and to the left.there was no crack when I parked it.I took it to the dealer where I bought it and had the warranty mechanic and a salesman look at it, they found not sign of impact.they advised me to take to the Mazda dealer for the factory warranty.I took it to the Mazda dealer and after numerous gouges with a fine point pen in the middle of the crack the service manager says no look there is a rock chip so it is not covered under the factory warranty. I also pointed out that there was an air bubble in another part of the windshield which is obviously a factory defect and he said that it didn't matter because there was a sign of impact not anywhere close to the crack the factory warranty would not cover

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Aug 132016

CX-5

Second time windshield cracked (more than dollar size) and needed replacement in less than six months of owning vehicle. Vehicle was stationary/parked on driveway first time and was in motion on city street second time. None were caused by car accidents or objects, such as rocks, hitting the windshield.

- Martinez, GA, USA

May 242016

CX-5

Was driving to work when I heard a succession of loud popping noises coming from the windshield area. As I was on a divided interstate with no vehicles in front or beside me, it was a bit strange that I had two cracks appear in the center of my windshield and another one running from the bottom right side of the windshield under the wiper blade. I pulled over immediately to see if there was anyone around because it was clearly not caused by another vehicle. I phoned the sheriff's department to report the incident, as I was unsure what had happened. A deputy met me at work (18 miles from where the incident happened) to look at the damage, the latter of which now stretched about 4 inches past the center of the windshield, and told me that the area where I was driving had been checked immediately by officers, that there was no one in the area, and that no other complaints had been reported. Even the officer was baffled by the unexplainable occurrence of the breaks, especially since there were no other vehicles either in front, behind, or beside me for as far as I could see (long, flat stretch of interstate, so visibility was excellent). The vehicle had less than 16000 miles on it when this happened.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 222016

CX-5

While driving to work on a clear day without any influence from an outside source, ie: Rock/debris, a crack formed on passenger side of my front windshield. It originated from the very bottom/base of windshield and is currently about 20" long - almost to exact middle of window. The car has less than 3000 miles on it. It is a 2016.5 year. I took delivery of car on Feb. 13.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 132016

CX-5

Only got my car for a month :( as I was driving on the freeway notice the windshield cracked started from the top middle where the rare mirror is. The crack is now longer and longer day by day. Maybe got hit by a tiny tiny little rock but the dot of the hit was so small that it could hardly be seen. I believe that it's cheap windshield that Mazda is using. All the bs how safety this car is......

- Hayward, CA, USA

Feb 142016

CX-5

I've only had my Mazda for 2 months and noticed a crack originating from the bottom of the windshield. It occurred after a hot day coupled with a cold night so I suspect there was a small crack that happened when I leased the car and it grew due to weather conditions. I've read that there are tons of similar incidences with this vehicle and its concerning (especially since the replacement is $1,000).

- Daly City, CA, USA