Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Mazda CX-5:

Jun 012019

CX-5

Rotors began showing signs of irregular wearing at 15K miles, causing the vehicle to shake uncontrollably when braking. The dealership indicated that this was normal wear and tear and inclement weather. However, there is a vast number of reports online with identical issues, occurring around 25K miles, which appear to be related to defective brake pads out of the factory.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Nov 262018

CX-5

Yesterday my wife tried to stop our CX5 in our driveway but it kept a slow glide for a few yards thus crashing into our garage door. Shifting into park a 2nd time (1st time didn't work) and pounding the brake pedal finally stopped the vehicle after pushing in the garage door a few feet. Engine remained in low idle (no acceleration) and brake feedback was normal (not mushy) the whole time. This is 2nd occurrence. First occurrence was about 6 months ago as the CX5 glided part way into an intersection. All symptoms listed above were exactly the same.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 152018

CX-5

My vehicle was on a city street behind a car which was at a stop sign. I stepped on the brake pedal, but my CX5 did not slow to a stop, but kept going at a steady speed toward the car ahead. My car suddenly stopped about 5 feet from the car ahead. My foot was on the brake pedal the whole time. This happened twice. Another time I was stopped behind a car making a left turn. With my foot N the brake pedal my vehicle moved about 3 or 4 feet and stopped before hitting the car in front.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Jan 012018

CX-5

When stopping my vehicle, my brake pedal tends to 'bleed' downward, to the point where it is below the level of the gas pedal. The result is I sometimes wind up hitting both the accelerator pedal and brake pedals at once. I've never had another car where this can happen. This is dangerous and terrifying when braking in close proximity to another vehicle. I took the vehicle to the dealer for an inspection and adjustment, the resulting slight improvement only lasted about a week, now it's happening again. In the absence of air or other contaminants in the brake line, nor detection of faulty components, I now consider this to be a possible design flaw.

- Cheltenham, PA, USA

Dec 222017

CX-5

Two weeks after I got the vehicle, I was driving on a highway doing speeds of 45 to 74. The drivers land change assist was not working as a car was right beside me several times I noticed and the light was off. My son mentioned it. Dec 22, 2017 2) I was driving at dusk on cruise control 74 mph and the car suddenly braked and a warning brake! was on the dash. I was in the fast lane with no objects or car in front.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jan 172018

CX-5

While driving my 2017 Mazda Cx-5, the smart city brake support (scbs) indicator illuminates on the dash. This has happened multiple times over the past several months, on clear, sunny days and in rain and/or snow; on city streets and highways. The rate of driving speed varies from approx 10 to 65 mph. The indicator stays on for anywhere from 20 seconds or until the vehicle is stopped (upwards of 20 minutes). Service techs at local dealer were able to pull the fault code from the computer, but it was generic and gave no guidance. Mazda initially acknowledged this was a problem and replaced the camera that controls the system (mounted interior of car at windshield), but when problem persisted with the new camera, Mazda said it's "normal" for the lamp illumination to display on the dash under various driving conditions and referenced service alert sa-052/17, which discusses fog, rain, exhaust gas from vehicle in front, etc. Triggering the scbs. According to this service alert, a dirty windshield will also trigger the warning light to illuminate. This is a safety concern because not only is the scbs not functioning properly, when the light illuminates it distracts from the act of driving.

- New Hartford, NY, USA

Oct 272017

CX-5

The contact owns a 2017 Mazda Cx-5. the contact stated that the smart city brake system failed to function properly when activated and modified to a specific distance or speed. The dealer (Mazda of mesquite, 15900 lyndon B johnson fwy, mesquite, tx 75150, (972) 686-6200) was notified, but was unable to replicate and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer provided a tsb that indicated that, without a warning indicator or warning chime, the function was not able to be replicated and the system was performing normally. The manufacturer did not send a technician to test drive the vehicle and determine if the function was properly working. The failure mileage was 0.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jul 212017

CX-5

According to consumer reports (Aug. 2017, page 58, last paragraph) the Mazda's new Cx-5's forward collision warning with low-speed automatic emergency braking standard should be applauded. These features malfunctions in las vegas during hot weather. Mazda knows about the problem and has no fix. We bought a Mazda Cx-5 on June 9, 2017. While driving on the freeway on July 21, 2017 the car quit working properly and we had three warning messages come up on the dashboard: 1.smart city brake support malfunction 2.smart brake system malfunction 3. forward camera malfunction. Had I not been paying close attention while using the cruise control the car might have rear-ended the car in front at 60 mph. The dealer service staff I talked to on the phone when I got home said that Mazda knew about the failures. Mazda said these errors are caused by excessive heat and Mazda has had many complaints in many locations. There is presently no fix. It seems to work ok when the weather is cooler. These are safety features we purchased and they failed while we were driving in las vegas. The temperature was 104 at the time. Not excessive for las vegas nor other parts of the southwest desert. I currently have pictures of two of the warning messages that flashed on the dashboard and can be seen at https://photos.app.goo.gl/0mfdpf5wzvoux2sp2. This seems like a major flaw of the Mazda Cx-5 if their premier package safety features fails to work when the outside temperature is around 104. The car should not be recommended, or even sold, with these features until Mazda gets this fixed. Maybe other Mazda models have this flaw.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA