2.0

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Nissan Altima:

Apr 242008

Altima 4-cyl

2002 Nissan Altima faulty engine and catalytic converter.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Apr 292008

Altima 4-cyl

2002 Nissan Altima 2.5 L engine excessive engine oil consumption, burning oil no leaks. Black smoke from exhaust pipe wants to stall and shakes most of the time. Check engine light comes on and off.

- Frankfort, NY, USA

Feb 212003

Altima 4-cyl

My vehicle stalls when driving on the highway. And the heat doesn't work at all, when the weather conditions are bad, I can't see out the window.

- North Braddock, PA, USA

Jan 012007

Altima 4-cyl

2002 Nissan Altima with a list of problems including lost power, electrical issue with 02 sensors, exhaust, cruise control* when the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer, she was told the vehicle had 2 recalls. After the two recalls were completed, the consumer still experienced problems with the vehicles lack of power. The vehicle had also started to consume large amounts of oil. The consumer took the vehicle to a repair shop and it was discovered that the oil rings were stuck on the pistons. The engine light had constantly been on. The code stated there was a problem with the timing chain sensor.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Apr 122005

Altima 4-cyl

In the beginning of April 2005 the engine light in my Nissan Altima came on - since I was told unless the light was flashing it is okay to drive - I called for the next appointment with nemith Nissan. On the days prior to taking my car in I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. I no longer drove the car and had it towed to nemith Nissan. Upon inspection of the car a T nemith they stated that the pre-catalyst had failed ( a recalled part never replaced only inspected) and exhaust had blown into the engine scoring the cylinders. Answer: New engine $4573.45. Car had 87,000 miles but was well taken care of - oil changes regularly - reg. Maintenance etc.. nemith suggested we contact Nissan direct - filed a case - no satisfaction - completely refused any assistance. Car has since been fixed - mechanic clearly states pre-catalyst cause of problem - this part was recalled and only inspected by nemith - never replaced! had I driven this car any further car would have caught fire!!!!!!!!!!!.

- Troy, NY, USA

Feb 242004

Altima

Repairs required for 3 recalls, replacement or radiator and mass airflow sensor. However, manufacturer is willing to pay replacement of radiator, but won't pay for the replacement of mass airflow sensor.

- Park Forest, IL, USA

Jan 162004

Altima 4-cyl

Ref. Investigation PE 02-078 the 'check oil' light flashed on the dashboard of my 2002 Nissan Altima on 1-16-2004. I stopped to check the oil level and found the dipstick to be bone dry. I filled the oil reservoir on this date and have checked the oil daily since. The oil level has steadily dropped. It appears that the description of potential engine damage described in ODI resume for investigation PE 02-078 (I.e. scoring of the cylinder walls) has occurred and now my engine is consuming motor oil at a rapid pace.

- Tolland, CT, USA