8.4

$1,170

Most common solutions:

1. replace compressor (9 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

Jul 142016

Altima LS 2.5L

I purchased a brand new 2013 Nissan Altima in March 2014. I've had all my maintenance done at the Nissan dealership. In July 2016 the air didn't blow cold and the dealership said the compressor needed to be replaced. I paid $1300 for replacement because I exceeded the 36,000 mile warranty. In May 2018, the air stopped blowing cold again. Dealership said compressor needed to be replaced, but they refused to acknowledge it was the 2nd time. Luckily I had my receipt, but they still offered nothing. Said parts go bad sometimes. This time it happened at 96,000 miles.

It's evident their compressors have less than 50,000 miles of life. The service dept advised me to call 800-NISSAN1 to see if there was anything they could do. After seeing so many online complaints I hoped they would step up and at least offer a discount on the 2nd compressor, but they refused because I exceeded the 12 month/12,000 mile warranty for the part.

This is my 3rd Nissan and unfortunately for them my last.

- myolanda, St Petersburg, US

Aug 132015

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I only had this car for 6 months. It was only 2 years old and had about 50,000 miles on it and the air compressor went out! I live in Texas! This is supposed to be a good solid car and the a/c goes out?

- Nicole L., Nash, TX, US

May 162018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought the car less then 1 yr old March 2014 to me it was delivered new to first owner Aug 2013. It has 26k miles on it now a 2013 model its not just about 4 years old I am still making payments. The AC never worked quick it would take a couple of miles to start to cool. At idle it was worse. I live in Miami, Florida gets very hot in summers, I would say 95% people use AC 100% of the time down here if it works I am not a serious AC guy if its under under a cool 80 I am ok with windows down depends on humidity.

I got caught a couple of weeks ago in traffic I have diabetes and had a brain hemorrhage in 2014 and triple bypass in 2016 on lots of meds. The AC blew burning hot air at a red light on US1 long light I was the 3rd car back I couldn't move in traffic I thought I was gonna die that was for a few minutes it was 95 degrees out in hot traffic on asphalt no movement or breeze. I thought i was gonna pass out and in a panic. I had just started the Altima drove one block to light no AC.

The AC from brand new never blew cold quick once moving it would finally cool off. My Dodge truck starts to blow cold at the end of my street. Altima at red lights it wouldn't be very cool. I hear the compressor kick on it doesn't need Freon its full. The cooling fans kick on when AC is on. its very intermittent Now sometimes it doesn't cool while moving. 100% of the time it doesn't cool on start up and the compressor is on the fans are on. Seems worse as time goes by.

I'm still paying off the car its a 2013 26K miles on it should have a recall on compressor from on the complaints I see! looks new. There is other problems also. I will post here. airbag trouble light is on and driver side visor is broken. IF Nissan doesn't fix it it will be my last Nissan. Trade it in on a HONDA My Chevy impala went 12 years AC still worked at 120K mile MY 2005 DODGE 80K miles original AC is cold as ice.

- Lou E., Miami, FL, USA

May 162018

Altima SV 2.4L

• CVT transmission

AC is blowing hot air. Take it to the dealership they said I need a new compressor. I live in Arizona, with the brutal summer we have there and I don't have the extended warranty. I will never buy a Nissan again.

- Samuel L., Tolleson, US

Jun 012017

Altima LDV 2.5L

Living in Arizona May thru October is like what hell must feel like, When your A/C blows hot air it feels like you are living in hell. I have had nothing but problem after problem with this car. Right now I am only going to complain about the A/C. Called the Dealer and was told I need to have a diagnostic test on A/C the cost is about $160.00 are you kidding me!! Not paying that fee for something that is clearly not my fault. Thank God I purchased the Platinum Extended Warranty. 6 years /100,000 miles coverage, I believe that this will be covered. But I do have a deductible of 100.00. This will be my third time I have had to pay a warranty deductible this year alone, for other reasons I will be filing a Lemon Law Complaint. Taking signatures for a possible class action/recall is in order or at least it should be.

- LEESA A., Mesa, US

May 102018

Altima SV

I have owned Nissan for the last 25 years and I have never had to deal with failed compressor at a mileage below 30k. The cost is over $1k. the car belongs to my daughter who is a student and can't afford to replace the unit in the heat of Texas. Very disappointed with the 2013 Altima.There is no way Nissan should be is OK with that. I hope they will be willing to chip in and take responsibility for this widely known issue.

- Salah M., Fort Worth, TX, US

Oct 252016

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I had love for the 2013 Altima until the problems and recalls started stacking up. The ac went out directly after my last warranty and recall repair at the dealer in Walnut creek California. I feel They started treating me like a customer on the reject list after the dealership made me pay a deductible for warranty and recall repairs. I thought recall repairs were fixed for free? SO When it came to the ac i barely wanted to go back to the dealer and when i did he turned me away saying my warranty is passed. he never said we will check it out and see if its a recall issue or let us test it and call u. So i left and went to get it check out else were, 2 shops and a dealer later it ended up being the ac compressor. Consumer affairs at Nissan offered to pay 50% of the repair cost but i feel The Nissan Corporation should pay for it all since the car is only 3 years old and it was not Working 100% when i got it.The Ac is Covered by the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty but should be extended to 100,000 miles because it will go out again before 3 years or 36,000 if replace. Nissan has really Downgraded its car parts and from research i see most Nissan car & truck models and makes are lemons. Spread the word, DO NOT BUY NISSAN! tell a friend or family member ASAP!

- A M., Pittsburg, CA, US

Jun 012017

Altima

I reside in AZ and ever since the standard warranty expired, the AC has been suspect, works only when car is driving down the road. When the car had about 75,000 miles on it, I bought an extended warranty. Had the gear shift replaced and last month had the AC compressor replaced under the extended warranty. Unfortunately, the warranty was third party, refused Nissan parts, and still does not work properly.

Car is a POS in my opinion. I can't believe there is not a recall on the AC Compressor yet. They have them for a pin, nut or bolt but never a major problem like this.

- parrothd64, Tempe, US

Aug 052017

Altima SV 2.5L 4

• CVT transmission

2013 Nissan Altima, Blowing cool air when driving, sitting still it's warm air. Took it to mechanic and they diagnosed AC compressor...$920 parts and labor out the door to repair. Car is not paid for yet. Very disappointed in this kind of issue.

- Mike S., Blue Springs, US

Jul 262017

Altima SV

I just returned from being out of the country 9 weeks for work to discover that my garaged 2013 Nissan with 66,000 miles was blowing only hot air. Took it to the Nissan dealership to find out the compressor had gone out. I asked the service adviser how often does this happen with cars with relatively low mileage---he was evasive and refused to answer. I then find this website to discover that the 2013 Nissan Altima is the 4th worst car on the market. Lovely! My first Nissan purchase and I suppose now, my last. I wish I had sold it a year ago!

Update from Jul 29, 2017: Update: Even though the dealership I had given me a quote for $1,400 to repair the problem, I opted to not have the work done immediately. I called around to a few different mechanic places and found out the quote was pretty average. At one point, it was recommended to me that I call the corporate office at Nissan--1-800-NISSAN1--which I did. I filed a complaint with them and received a cased number. I was told that my case manager would call me back by the next business day, however they called me back within 2 hours. They asked me to relay my story to them, including the Nissan dealership and the price quoted to me. It turns out that my extended warranty was NOT expired and they informed me that it was all covered under warranty. They had already called the dealership and informed the service manager of the same.

When I contacted the service tech and asked me if he had spoken to the service manager yet, he said no. I then ask him, "since you collected my VIN, do you see on my record where this repair is covered by an extended warranty?' in which he replied, 'oh yeah, it's right here.' I told him that if he would have scanned down my record to see if I had an extended warranty before he called me, that would have been very helpful and I would not have wasted my day calling Nissan corporate.' So, my AC has been fixed for $0.00 so all is well for now.

- Susan K., Coppell, US

Jun 192017

Altima SV V4

• CVT transmission

2013 Nissan Altima has been blowing hot air when stationary, once moving it improved. Took to mechanic and was told my compressor is going out. This car only has 64,000 miles on it. Very disappointed.

- Cecilia W., Rockport, TX, US