8.1

$3,290

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (24 reports)
  3. performed cvt software update. resolved the issue (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Mar 182016

Altima SV 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

I brought in my 2014 Altima on 02/18, I had problems with my car stalling several times and jerking. They were unable to duplicate the problem and my car did not have an error code. Was told to bring back in if problem occurred again. I brought my car back in on 03/14 since I experienced the same issue, I was informed that my car did shudder while tech. was working on car, but was told to bring my car back in on 03/29 for further diagnostic since car is still not showing an error code. On 3/18 car had to be towed to Nissan's service center. "Rebuilt" transmission was put in and car was ready for pick up on 03/25. Seriously considering trading in.

- Jolie W., Walker, LA, US

Mar 152016

Altima SV 4

I have only had this car a year and a half. Bought it brand new. It shudders jerks, cuts off and does not accelerate after coming to a complete stop even if us mash the gas pedal to the floor. The dealership blew me off until one of the technicians almost got hit trying to test drive it. First they kept saying they could not find anything wrong. The transmission is gone. I wouldn't recommend to my enemy.

- Latisa R., Thomasville, GA, US

Jun 012015

Altima SL 3.5L

I am so disappointed in Nissan!!! And I will make sure to tell everyone I know, DO NOT purchase anything from them because their cars are far from what they use to be. I understand technology and the constant change required in new vehicles but putting the CVT in was a joke!

I loved my car at first!!! This car had everything I wanted plus the awesome pearl white paint, so my husband and I were willing to pay the hefty price of $36000 to buy brand new. Well, turns out that was a BIG mistake. Shortly after we purchased this, I noticed my car would start to shudder when I would go around corners or have to slow down then regain speed. It has also happened a couple of times while driving down the highway at 65-70 mph. I mentioned this multiple times to my dealership when I would take it in for my oil change but they have told me every time that it is nothing and they can't seem to find a problem.

Of course they can't find anything when they are totally incompetent! I'm sure some of that is because I'm a girl and "girls" don't know anything about cars. This may be true but some guys don't either. I may not know everything but I can work my way around a car better than most and so can my husband. We usually change our own oil but since I had 2 years maintenance free, why pay right? Wrong answer!

One time I took my car into Green Nissan and 2 days later, I noticed my car was whining when I would turn, especially in park. So we look under the hood, I have no power steering fluid even though the paperwork I had from my oil change showed it was full. Is it any wonder I have no faith in my local dealership?!?! My husband and I have complained multiple times regarding the issue with my transmission and here were are, about 8 months later and it continues to get worse. So this last weekend, I saw a salesman that use to work there and was discussing the problem I'm having and he suggested I call Nissan Consumer Affairs to see if they will do anything. He also warned me that Nissan is very bad about notifying customers when there are recalls. That's real nice, WTG Nissan!

So... Monday I call, tell them my issue and the women told me they would open a case. I get a call last night from this lady that tells me she has done some research and that there is nothing wrong with my car, that is how the CVT transmission works. I was LIVID! I asked her why it didn't do that in the beginning and she couldn't answer that. I also asked her about all the reports I have found on the same issue and her response was that it is based on the VIN. How does that work, you create all these cars on a line and randomly put VIN's on there so mine could have the same issue as one that's been fixed but my VIN doesn't match? Really Nissan, can't you come up with something better?

I then ask her what my options are and she said I could get a second opinion which means I have to drive 120 miles to the Missoula or 300 to a dealership in Idaho. Did I mention I was LIVID yet? So I mention that I was concerned because I only have 13000 miles left on my warranty and with traveling 40 miles a day for work and a 2000 mile road trip planned next month, my warranty will expire soon and then what happens when my transmission finally goes out? She told me she couldn't promise anything on behalf of Nissan but I could call back then and see if they could do anything to help.

I am so frustrated with the way Nissan is handling this! I just hope that the techs know what they are looking for when I take it to Missoula. Especially when I'm adding more miles and spending money out of my pocket when I shouldn't be. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

- Shalada B., Columbia Falls, MT, US

Mar 012014

Altima 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The CVT transmission has been noticable since we first got the car 2/5/14. Took it to the dealership and got the standard answer that they could not duplicate the complaint on test drive. I offered to leave the car for a week for someone to use and feel the problem but they did not accept, We now have 20,000 miles on the car and it continues to get worse. As I've told the dealership every time I take it in for an oil change, it feels like a belt slipping particularly after slowing then accelerating. I have asked to see the Nissan company service rep but have never been granted that request either. I guess I'll have to wait until it self destructs as it is a lease car that they seemingly don't care about. Your choice of "Pain in the ass" problem is an adequate description of this issue.

- douglasnc, Wilmington, NC, US

Dec 142015

Altima 2.5 SV 2.5L 182 Hp I4

• CVT transmission

This has happened AGAIN in this car. Transmission shudders and jerks. The dealership replaced under warranty, and if I come back one more time with the same problem, I'll be able to act under the New Jersey Lemon Law. However, I had heard stories from car owners with defective cars saying that the dealership refused to fix the problem with their cars so the owners could not act under the lemon law. Hopefully Nissan doesn't put me in that position...

- Ron A., West Berlin, NJ, NJ, US

Apr 302015

Altima 2.5 SV 2.5L 182 Hp I4

• CVT transmission

We leased this car in August of 2014. About 6 months after our purchase, my wife and I noticed the transmission slipping/jerking at lower speeds (about 20 - 25 MPH). We knew, from our past experiences with our 2002 Honda Odyssey and 2007 Nissan Pathfinder that this would lead to transmission failure, so we made an appointment with our Nissan dealer. They replaced the transmission under warranty. And, looking at other complaints posted on carcomplaints.com, transmission failure is also a common problem with these cars! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! THESE CARS ARE ONLY A YEAR OLD, AND THEY HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS? THIS IS MY SECOND NISSAN, AND I'LL NEVER BUY A NISSAN AGAIN!!!!!!!!

- Ron A., West Berlin, NJ, NJ, US

Jun 202014

• CVT transmission

I had heard great reviews on the 2014 Nissan Altima, so I drove one and really liked it, so I bought it. After about 1000 miles or so I had my cruise control on at 60 mph and my car started surging almost like it didn't know what to do. This was on a fairly flat road and it went away when I went up an incline and went away when I was going down a hill. I took it back to the dealer with my complaint and they topped off the transmission fluid and checked the diagnostics and sent me on my way.

The problem continued and I took it back several times foe the same problem and it would not replicate with them. Finally the manager took it for a week and he said he could feel it but that was normal. I got Nissan involved but they kicked it back to the same dealer. They said that I should try another identical vehicle to see that this was normal but there never seemed a 3.5SL in the whole wide world. No follow ups to date. It has 53k and still surges, jerks when I start to accelerate like starting a stick shift in 3rd gear and I will loose my shorts if I try to sell it now. I'm tempted to take my lumps just for my piece of mind.

- Gary R., Allendale, MI, US

Jul 012014

• CVT transmission

I am on my 6th Nissan and have never had so many problems until this vehicle. I purchased my 2014 Altima in November of 2014. At around 12,000 miles I started noticing shuddering/vibrations/slipping at lower speeds. Since this has happened, the transmission has been replaced twice. I had it home for about a month when I took it back for the 2nd replacement. Each time I have to drive with the tech while he records data for Nissan to determine if the dealer can even take it apart to look at it.

Today at 30,000 miles it is back in the shop again. This time they are telling me that it's not the transmission, but possible drive axles. I took it back because it felt like the same problem, but the tech hooked up his laptop to record data and nothing recorded. Needless to say I am very frustrated. I am fortunate enough that the dealership I go to has free loaner cars. I have to drive a little ways, but worth it. As the dealerships in my area want to charge me $35 per day for a rental - ridiculous! I am worried that there is still a problem with the transmission and will be trying to get out of this lease earlier than normal.

Just to make note - love the dealership! They always take care of me and never pressure me to return the loaner car sooner than needed. Just pissed at Nissan!

- kjusztin, San Antonio, TX, US

Sep 162015

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I'll start by saying that I really like my 2014 3.5 SL Altima. I have been experiencing the shuddering and jerking for about a year (62,000 miles) but finally decided to address it with the dealer after reading other complaints online. Armed with facts about the problem, I had a long talk with the Service manager. They called me back the same day that I brought it in for service and said that it needed a new transmission. The next day I was told that Nissan needed more data from the car to qualify it for a new transmission....the authorization was finally given and I'm waiting for it to arrive and get installed. So far, the dealership (Nationwide Nissan) is treating me good. I'm still waiting to see if the new transmission eliminates the problem....stay tuned.

- fthreat, Owings Mills, US

Jul 102015

• CVT transmission

My 2014 Nissan Altima was taken in to check the shaking and jerking of the transmission at 34,000 miles. The dealer checked everything as this is normal and just did a standard reset on the computer. The car has now 39,000 miles and I was on my way to work with my kids in the car and the transmission start freaking out, rpms go way up and way down and I'm on a straight road with cruise control set the car then just stops and I coasted to the side of the road. When I let the car set for couple seconds, started the car and put back in drive and got ten minutes down the road and rpms would go up but the car would not go. It was like the transmission was done. Tow truck had to tow the car to the dealer and I am waiting on a response to see how much it will cost to get fixed. I have a 2009 Nissan Altima that has no problems with 90,000 miles on it NISSAN you have lost a customer this car will be traded in as soon as it gets fixed.

Update from Sep 17, 2015: My Car is currently getting a new transmission put in and I will keep you updated on the end results.

- littleshep7, Robertsdale, AL, US

Aug 282014

Altima LS 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I just bought the car before going on vacation, my previous car was a Altima 2003 and was pleased with it. Started having the problem on our way home. It was like when driving a manual car and starting it in 2nd gear, jerking, then all was ok. Did this when driving between 30 and 40 klm/h. Brought to the dealer and they changed the transmission. 2 weeks later it started again, so back to the dealer I went. Had to leave it there 2 days so they could test it, they sent spec to Nissan Canada. Nissan Canada found nothing wrong with specs. October things are worse, so back to the garage and they change the transmission again, left the car with 7000klm and got it back with 7416 klm on the meter.

As the cold weather settles in, everything seemed fine. The heat is back and so are the problems. Brought it in last week for more tests and now they're saying that it might be a problem in the direction (rack and pinion) that's causing the trouble with the transmission. They're waiting for a part and we don't know when they expect it. We we're also told that we could not pull anything with the car, that that might be what was causing the problem, yet it's the same motor as the Pathfinder and that can pull 1500 kilos

They have been warned that we are going on vacation in 2 weeks and want the car ready. I'm starting to think that they want us to break down in the US so that it won't be their problem.

- Raymond C., St-Hyacinthe, QC, Canada

Feb 202015

• CVT transmission

I couldn't wait to get a new Nissan. I had my 1999 Altima for 15 years and I loved it. Going on it 16 years, I gave it up and wanted a new one because I didn't want it break down on me in nowhere land. I cried and gave it to a Nissan dealer for new Nissan Altima 2014 and guess what, its in the shop right now as I am typing this. The jerking of car made me very worried.

- Alinda M., Chicago, IL, US

Apr 012015

Altima S 2.5L

The transmission jerks into next gear when the RPM is between 1.5 - 2.0 at speeds of 60 -65 mph. Transmission also makes loud humming noise when driving down a steep incline with foot off the gas pedal. Taking into dealer on 4/20 for their testing.

- Bruce W., Frederick, MD, US

Mar 282015

Altima S 2.5L

Drove back home from a long trip, got about 1/2 mile from my house and stopped at a light. The car sputtered and stalled. I put it in park and started it again and it started just fine. As soon as I put it in drive again, it stalled. Am having it towed to see what the issue is. Has not happened before.

- Sonia R., Oxnard, CA, US

Mar 192015

Altima LX 3.2L V6

My car is an automatic. . .when going up an incline, the car acts like a standard that is in too low of a gear. Shudders, shakes and acts like it's going to stall. I don't have my car back yet, but according to service department Nissan is aware of the problem and they did an update to fix. We shall see!

- Connie H., Vienna, WV, US

Oct 102014

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

My car shudders and jerks at low speeds. I've had it back to the Nissan dealer 3 times and they can't replicate it (even though the first time I took it in I went out for a drive with the mechanic and it did it in front of him). Meanwhile, it's a big waste of time every time I take it in because they claim they can't fix when they don't know what's wrong with it. I've noticed others on this website have had the same issues. I used to own a Nissan Sentra and had no problems at all. Now I buy this way more expensive car and have nothing but issues. In addition to the shuddering, my stereo is now acting up and it turns off and re-starts when I don't even touch it. I love this car, but I will not be wasting my time or money on another Nissan and I've told everyone I know not to buy an Altima!

- Kristin Q., Greenfield, WI, US

Dec 052014

Altima SL 3.5L

Purchased car in May of 2014 and about 9,000 miles into my purchase my car started to jitter everytime I turn and/or go under 20 miles per hour. Took car into dealer and they had my car for 10 days. They had to replace transmission. Since my new transmission, my car has still and even worse now jitters. Still trying to work with Nissan now on the next step. I have owned 3 cars from Nissan, but now I will not purchase again from them.

- jredding24, North Las Vegas, NV, US

Jun 232014

• CVT transmission

2014 Nissan Altima surge and fluctuation in RPM between 20 and 25 mph. When decelerating, as soon as speed reaches 25, the RPM jumps (from slightly around or below 1000 rpm to about 1300 rpm). this creates an unintended surge and is risky in snow or rain - and not to mention hard on brakes!!

AS THE SPEED REDUCES BELOW 25 MPH, WHEN YOU LEAVE GAS PEDAL, EVEN ON A LEVEL ROAD, THE ENGINE RPM APPEARS TO FALL AT OR BELOW 1000 RPM AND THEN SHOOTS UP TO 1300 RPM. IT THEN STRUGGLES TO FIND THE CORRECT GEAR RATIO AND FLUCTUATES BETWEEN 1000-1500 RPM WITHOUT ANY INTERVENTION.

Update from Sep 9, 2014: Here is a video of the observed behavior. As you can see, the RPM jumps and fluctuates on a level road creating jerky behavior between 20 and 25 mph.

- sdmarathe, Columbus, OH, US

Jul 222014

Altima 3.5 SL

• CVT transmission

The transmission on V6 jerked and chugged at low speeds at highway speed, on and off of cruise control, going up hill, on the flats, on the straight way or on corners. No all the time ...just for no reason it would start.

Took back to dealer who had to hook up to computer duplicate problem to get codes before warranty work could start. Replaced torque converter still had problems (even slightly worst after repair) back to dealership and replaced transmission.

Update from Jul 9, 2015: Within 900 Kms the transmission was occasionally jerking and jumping. I reported this to the dealership and they said drive it for a while. At 4796 Kms the dealership put in a new torque converter. On the drive home the vehicle was still doing the same jerking and skipping. I called the dealership right away and they said drive it some more. At 6172 Kms I took the vehicle back and they replaced the transmission. For the next 1200 Kms the vehicle ran great then it started jerking and jumping again. This got progressively worse and at 10,000 Kms I called the dealership and they said drive it some more. On Sept 5, 2014 the dealership took the car and reported that they could not find a fault with the transmission even through it was VERY noticeable. On October 7, 2014 they replaced the transmission for the 2nd time at 10449 Kms and the dealership diagnosed the problem as Clear CVT deteriation

Today the 9th of July 2015, after numerous complaints that the Jerking and shuttering started again around 13,000 Kms and many tests and test drives Nissan Canada is again replacing the transmission at 27,00 Kms.

This will be the fourth transmission and a torque converter put into this vehicle in 27,000 Kms. (3 replacements and the original)

- seajay, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Nov 152014

Altima S 4c

My car shimmer, shakes and sputters. Gee whiz, this car is a 2014 with 7500 miles on it. I expect to be able to feel confident and safe but, I don't. You never know, will this car make it up this hill or is it going to quit. I am so disgusted. I was told, Nissan is working on the problem. In the meantime, I am struggling to pick up the nerve to drive it.

- Jeff I., London, KY, US