8.8

$3,890

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (41 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Aug 012018

Altima SL 4 cyl

Purchased this car as a certified used vehicle, which gave me the extended (100K) warranty, thank goodness. The transmission first failed at about 97K miles. I assumed the dealer would simply replace it with a factory rebuilt one, which is what I thought was the industry standard. They said they had someone on staff that was sent back to school to repair transmissions specifically. Since it was covered, what could I say but "yes". Well, about 15K miles later, it failed again. Now, the car is technically past the 100k warranty, but with some push from me about the previous rebuild failure, the dealer agreed to fix it, without charge. This time they ordered a factory rebuilt one, and got kind of defensive when I mentioned the previous in-house repair program. The new (third) rebuilt transmission has been great so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

- Robert B., Portland, US

Dec 062018

• CVT transmission

On Dec. 4, 2018 my 2014 Nissan Altima started to jerk and jump while giving out a whistling sound. I decided that on my next off day, I would take my car to the dealer to see what's going on. Well, it couldn't wait that long. On Dec. 6,2018 while on I-285 in Atlanta, Ga. my car stalled. (scared the death out of me), but I had to think quick and get my car out of the line of oncoming traffic. I had my 16yr old daughter in the car with me!

Once off the highway, my car started JUMPING (the car was literally JUMPING LIKE A RABBIT). As I attempted to press the gas, the car wouldn't move, it would idle up, make a loud noise, stall and then continue to jump again! I was about 2 miles from my home, so I let the car jump all the way to the house! Once I got the car home, I had no idea what to do! (this was the first car I HAD EVER financed and had it 3 yrs, purchased it with 35k miles on it, and in my 3 yrs hadn't even put 50k miles on it).

I called my Nissan Dealership, told them what had just happened and they advised me to have the car towed into the service center. I called my AAA to have it towed. The service tech called me the next day to advise that my transmission was GONE! I literally cried, couldn't believe what I was hearing! I said, but how is my transmission gone when I've only had the car 3 yrs, put less than 50k miles on it, I don't go anywhere but to work and back and I only let NISSAN maintain my car??

I was confused, so I asked, what do I do now with this car that I still pay a car note on but can't drive and can't afford to have it repaired. The Service Tech advised that maybe I should call Nissan Corporate of North America to see if they will cover any cost of the repairs because he see these issues everyday and Nissan is aware of the problems, that this isn't a dealership problem but a manufacture problem!

I called Nissan North America to file a claim and was informed that someone would call me back within 48 hrs. I received a call from a Guy named Jerome who informed me that he is looking onto my claim, he's in contact with the Service Center but don't have a decision on my claim just yet! Well, Jerome called back the next day to inform me that unfortunately because my car mileage was 84733k that I was out of my warranty of 60k and Nissan will NOT cover the cost of any repairs!

I asked Jerome why haven't these cars been taken off the road because my daughter and I could have been killed? Of Course, Jerome's entire conversation sound scripted!! I asked, what does he recommend that I do with this car that I can't drive but am still paying for? Jerome stated, "It's your car, do whatever you'd like with it!"

The following day I went back to the Nissan Service Center where my car was located, looking for help and seeking answer's! I advised that I've done some research and this is a shame on how Nissan is causing lives to be put in danger with these faulty transmissions. I spoke with the Service Center Manager (Ralph) trying to figure out what do I next. I asked Ralph what is the total cost of repairs, and if they can work with me at all? Ralph stated, it will be $3980.00 and he can't do anything other than what Nissan Corporate North America stated and that I have 5 days to get the issue resolved or he will start to charge me a storage fee for my car being there! I called Nissan North America back and asked them to reopen my claim.

I sent emails to the President, Vice President and CEO of Nissan North America, the new media and anyone who will listen! I got a call back from a guy named Patrick from North America in regards to my emails, Patrick stated that everything Jerome and Ralph said was correct, however; Nissan will now pay 70% of the cost of repairs as long as I let Nissan service Center perform the work! That left me at 30%($1200.00), that I didn't have simply because I am a single parent and it was so close to the Holidays. So, I tried for 2 weeks to trade the car in with Nissan and other Dealerships......but nobody wanted my car simply because it lost it's equity value due to the failed CVT Transmission!

I contacted Patrick back in hopes that Nissan would own up to their mistake and pay 100% of the repairs, considering that they know it's their problem! However, Patrick insisted that NISSAN will not pay more than the 70% bottom line! I sent another email to the President of Nissan North America with no response back at this time!

On Dec 22 ,2018 I contacted the Service Center back to give the "Go ahead" to repair my car. After 23 days of hell, going back and forth with all these different people within Nissan, I picked my car back up on Dec.29, 2018 after paying the 1200.00 for repairs! This has been a complete nightmare! #DoNotBuyNissan #NissanIsAScam

- tlmatl4u2, Atlanta, US

Apr 122017

• CVT transmission

Bought the car used at 60,000. First the fuel pump went out according to the dealership. I assumed it was the transmission based on the way the car acted. The car would randomly rev up to high RPM's in the middle of driving on the highway. Got the fuel pump fixed. About 2-3 weeks later the car started doing the exact same thing. BINGO Transmission was toast. I was told that CVT transmissions can only be replaced at Nissan dealerships unfortunately. So I'm sure you get a real fair price... Fortunately I had an extended warranty (that was about less than 10,000 miles from expiring). I've heard too many horror stories and now went through my own about stuff like this.

Hopefully this car lasts a long time with a new transmission and fuel pump. My only fear is seeing that this is a common theme for this car, that my transmission could be toast again around 180,000-200,000 miles. I drive about 20,000-30,000 miles for work every year so it won't take long to get to that range.

- josh1234, Chicago, US

Jan 042019

• CVT transmission

About five months ago back in August 2018 my husband was driving my 2014 Nissan Altima on the highway when out of no where it stalled. I didn't believe him at first, because I have never had any issues with my car. He explained that it just stalled but would start back up and then when he would shift it into drive, it would stall out again. We then took it to a shop and they could not replicate what it did with my husband. So, they said it might be a software issue and updated it.

Fast forward this past Friday on January 11th, I was at a red stop sign, when out of no where my car stalls. I actually thought someone had hit me because it just jolted to a stop so suddenly it felt as if someone hit my car. I then get it into neutral to drive it to the side of the road. I get a tow truck to tow it to the local Nissan dealership. Even the tow truck driver said he's never seen anything like it, and that he drove it off the tow truck no problem.

I get a call two days later from Nissan saying that it shows up as a transmission issue and that it will cost around $5,000 to replace it. No explanation to why a five year old car that has been perfectly maintained would need a new transmission. Of course the warranty is only covered at 60,000 miles so I had no way of coverage.

That day I did investigating on websites to find a recall or any information. What I found was mainly on this website, describing EXACTLY what occurred with my car and to lots and lots of people! I then contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and they created a case number for me. I just received a call today from them stating: "Nissan will not be able to assist you in any way." That was it, end of call. They would not go into explanation and would not suggest any other avenue to have this taken care of.

My frustration at how Nissan is handing this situation is at an all time high after receiving this call. They clearly do not want to take any responsibility for what is clearly a manufacturing issue with either the transmission or a software issue that is saying its a transmission issue. Really, who knows? And if that is the case, they are charging people thousands and thousands of dollars for transmissions that don't need to be replaced in the first place which is kind of my thought process.

At this point I want to seek legal action since they are not willing to take any responsibly for this faulty car (already has 7 recalls on it.) I cannot stand by and be taken advantage of when I've paid thousands for my car and then to be charged $5,000 on a newer car, when it's not even worth much more than that? I refuse to do that. I've even read that people who do get the replacement, then find the issue happen again to them. Which furthers my case into thinking its a software issue.

Fact of the matter is this now is leaving me in a situation where I don't even feel safe to drive, even with the replacement of the transmission. I don't feel safe having a car under a company who clearly doesn't care about the safety of their consumers and is willing to charge them thousands of dollars for an issue that clearly hasn't been investigated enough.

If anyone has any suggestions or resources to take further action please leave a comment.

- Jenna R., Commerce Charter Township, MI, US

Nov 032018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I AM EASY ON THE GAS AND BRAKES, AND DO A LOT OF HIGHWAY MILES AT NORMAL SPEEDS. THE TRANSMISSION SHOULD NOT FAIL AFTER 4 1/2 YEARS OF DRIVING. THE DEALER KEEPS TRANSMISSIONS IN STOCK!

- Tim T., Lakewood, US

Oct 252018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Bought the car in September 2018, with 28000 miles on it. One month later, last week in October I was just coming to a stop after exiting the freeway. The car was jerking then stalled in the middle of the road. Try restart the car and it would die when I shift. Scariest feeling being in the middle of the road seeing other cars driving around me! Finally got it towed to the dealer and found out was the transmission. It is still under warranty, so it is covered, but I am thinking about getting a different car now that I see this is not isolated. It is sad that these many cars have the same problem and NISSAN only gives 5 year, 60000 mile warranty. Nissan has the responsibility to fix this known issue.

- bigsnowman, Peoria, US

Apr 012016

Altima S 6

• CVT transmission

Since I purchased the car I had to change the transmission 3 times and had to get a new engine with the cost of over $5000.00. I was stressed out to the max because of such enormous amount of money I had to spend on repairs. I lost time from work and had to spend a lot of money on public transportation and cab services. I could not sleep at did not know what to do. I called the Nissan Cooperate office at least 5 times and they reported that they cannot help pay for the transmission and was not going to re-reimburse me. I find that to be ridiculous has I know Nissan is aware of the transmission problems customers have had and the amount of money they make annually. I am going to be cool about this stressful event and lost of money on many repairs I have made. I hope Nissan will do what is best and reimburse me for all of these expenses.

- Myriam A., Baldwin, US

Apr 282018

Altima S 2.5L

So my husband and I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima from Chuck Hutton Chevrolet, it has 65000 miles on it. Within the month of purchasing this car and put $3000 down for it, it broke down in the middle of the road on my way to work. I'm glad I wasn't hit by anyone and that my baby was not in the car because it just stopped.

Long story short I lost my job because I wasn't able to get back to work because I couldn't afford another $3700 dollars to replace the TRANSMISSION. I tried to get Chuck Hutton to take it back being that I only had the car for 30 days, they refused. I contacted Nissan and told them the situation, they had me tow it to a Nissan dealership to have it looked at, in hopes of them paying for the new transmission. After about a week they denied it, and now I owe Nissan dealership almost 200 dollars just for looking at it.

Here it is October and my car has been sitting on a Nissan lot since April and I'm still paying the $350 car note. This car had a sticker price of 14000 dollars!!! It's not fair to the consumer, that Nissan doesn't want to recall and fix these cars!

Someone please tell me how I can also be involved in a class action lawsuit for the 2014 Nissan transmission issue if one is indeed going on or about to start.

Update from Feb 12, 2019: Follow me on Twitter at LatoyaJ54877096 Let's use the power Of social media to get justice for our 2014 defective Nissan Altima bc Nissan is ignoring us all.

- Lataya J., Memphis, US

Aug 282018

Altima 2.5 S V4

• CVT transmission

2014 Nissan Altima with 116500 miles regulary serviced and 95% freeway/commuting miles with CVT that failed. Nissan corporation unwilling to help with resolution. Rep said they would document my complaint. Thanks!! Had to replace at the tune of $3450. Had a 2007 Sentra prior to it that the CVT failed twice. Nissan obviously has problems with their product and unwilling to stand behind it. I realize it was out of warranty but failure at that mileage is unacceptable and 3 transmissions in 2 cars. I see a pattern here.

- Clint B., Nampa, ID, US

Aug 292018

Altima S

I got my car back in January. All of a sudden it started jerking and then losing power. Then it cut off and left me in the middle of a busy hwy. Nissan said they won;t cover it because I'm 8000 miles over my power train warranty. But there is a recall on the cvt programming for the transmission.

- Kaylee W., Macon, GA, US

Aug 152018

• CVT transmission

June 2017, took my car into Nissan because of transmission feeling like it was slipping. I was getting some jerking of the transmission, along with delayed acceleration whenever I was at a stop. Transmission was under warranty, 55k miles but Nissan stated they couldn't replicate the issue and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to two days ago. Out of nowhere I had the same delayed acceleration at a couple stop lights. Out of nowhere when I turned onto a busy street, my transmission completely slipped. Revved up to 4000 RPMs but was only going 20mph could not go any fast. Parked the car and turned it off, issue resolved.

Took it into Nissan the next day, still with no issues while driving. But they're stating that my entire CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Probably needed to be replaced when it was still under warranty, now that its not, they want me to pay $4000 to have it replaced. This is ridiculous, they don't want to own up to their CVT transmission issues and they are just profiting from the replacements.

Already filed a complaint under NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) I'm hoping someone opens a class action lawsuit against them. They already have one out on their CVT for Sentras. We need one for Altimas!!

- Dahsia M., Henderson, US

Jul 212018

• CVT transmission

I had no major issues with my 2014 Altima except their rather frequent recalls for safety equipment.

One day, when I was on the road at a red light, the engine just shut off. I had to push the button to restart the car. Then, when I stopped again, the engine stalled, too. I was horrified. It was Saturday afternoon so luckily there were fewer cars on the road. I barely managed to get to the dealership. They say I need a new transmission. The mileage is just over 64,000. This is insane.

I contacted Nissan USA for out-of-warranty support. I am waiting for their decision.

Update from Sep 4, 2018: After a month of contacting Nissan consumer affairs, they say my car is fine to drive because the engine does not shut off again. I think they are intentionally covering up their transmission issue and denying their liability. For those of you who have the same transmission issues as mine (engine shutting off, fluctuating rpm, dropping down a gear, delayed response), consider joining the class action suit.

Update from Oct 11, 2018: I got a few messages from others. This website is funny because you can send a PM but cannot reply!! Anyway, here is another update for others who are in the same trouble.

After I got back my car, the engine did not shut off. However, I experienced usual symptoms about 2014 Altima transmission: shuddering, delay response, sudden hike in rpm, you name it. Then, about a month later, stepping on the gas made no response. I took it to the shop. Let's see what they have to say.

Update from Jan 14, 2019: Another Update. In sum, my car stalled in August of 2018. Nissan asked my local Nissan dealer to run tests and video the scene of the engine stalling when the car stops. They couldn't because the problem was intermittent. So, Nissan claimed my car was fine with no issues with transmission. Ridiculous. But my car finally stopped completely at the end of September. The dealer again contacted Nissan. Nissan finally decided to give me a new tranny and I pay the labor. I got back my car in November. Meanwhile, I also contacted law firms representing 2014 Altima owners (search on this site for law firm names). Unfortunately, I do not seem eligible because I bought it secondhand. If you bought a 2013-4 Altima as new or CPO and have the same issue as mine and others', contact them.

- Kwan L., Ithaca, NY, United States

Jun 112018

Altima s

• CVT transmission

My 2014 Nissan Altima is barely 4 years old and requires a new CVT transmission. I filed a claim with NISSAN USA and they made a decision to deny covering the cost for the new transmission with the wrong car mileage. They stated my car had over 127,000 miles on it when it was 117,000. Additionally the claims representative, Kasha, made a point to emphasize that it was still going to be denied despite the wrong information. I was then referred to her superior and the same occurred, stating it was still going to be denied. I am currently awaiting another response from someone in a higher position.

How can you put a car on the market with a life expectancy of 4 years and have the nerve to sell it to hard working American families for over $21,000? Then make no effort to reconcile the issue by taking responsibility for your faulty product. I'm not asking for a handout. I'm asking for a quality car in return for what I pay for it every month. I still owe over 8k for this car and am now expected to pay another $4200.00. NO ONE should PURCHASE A NISSAN. The corporation doesn't care how hard you work for your money nor about the quality of the product they put out. If they did they would take responsibility for this poor product.

- Crystal L., Beach Park, US

Jun 182018

• CVT transmission

I was nearly killed while on my way to work during morning commute on the highway when my 2014 Nissan Altima abruptly shut down. Although the car has 114k miles on it, it has been well maintained with all suggested maintenance from/at the dealership, and most miles are highway. Not that it should matter!! The car is 4 years old and still being paid for and now I have to dump 3,500.00 into it. How can any car manufacturer justify this technology??!! Lesson learned. I will do my homework with my next purchase and will NEVER buy another car with CVT!. I am absolutely sick over this and prior to this incident told everyone how much I loved my Nissan. I take it all back!! Knowing there is a major flaw in this technology, some sort of credit or help should be offered or stop using this crappy technology as its not worth the extra gas mileage you may gain. I thought if I took good care of this car that I would have it for a long time. Prior to this, I had a 2006 Honda with over 140k miles on it. I would probably still be driving it had it not been totaled when I was hit by someone. DO YOUR HOMEWORK WHEN PURCHASING YOUR NEXT VEHICLE. THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN OF CVT IS AROUND 100K MILES!! UNLESS YOU PURCHASE NEW CARS EVERY FEW YEARS OR HAVE THOUSANDS OF EXTRA DOLLARS HANGING AROUND WAITING TO BE SPENT, I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS FLAWED TECHNOLOGY. JUST ISN'T WORTH THE BLEEDING!!

- Joan S., Hawleyville, CT, US

May 182018

Altima 2.5L

I had just exited off of the highway and was approaching a red stop light. While slowing to a complete stop, the car jerked a couple of times and stalled. I had not had any previous issues with the transmission so this was new to me. I started it back up, put it back in drive, and it immediately stalled again. I was eventually able to shift into neutral and, with the help of a police officer, pushed it across the busy street and onto the shoulder of the on ramp.

I had it towed to a Nissan dealership who confirmed that the transmission had failed and would need to be replaced. They quoted $4,100 for the repair. Due to being within the 5 year warranty, and BARELY out of the mileage (Nissan extended the warranty to 5 years or 60,000....I was currently at a little over 62,200), I filed an appeal with Nissan. I am still waiting to hear back to find out whether or not Nissan will cover partial or the entire repair.

I have been very pleased with the service I've received from the service manager at the dealership. He guided me through the exact steps to take and told me who to contact in order to file an appeal and has been keeping me updated with the process. Having just bought a house a week before this, a $4,100 repair bill would be a major blow financially. I hope Nissan can make it right with this clearly defective transmission.

Update from May 26, 2018: Nissan has informed me that they will be covering 80% of the repair bill (which turned out to be a little over $4,300 in total). While yes, this situation was obviously a major inconvenience, I am pleased with the outcome. The service department at the dealership was very professional and understanding and they were quick to set me up with a loaner car while mine is in the shop. Having never been through this situation before, I feel they did a fantastic job helping me along the way!

- Scott H., Shakopee, MN, US

May 052018

Altima SV

I just bought this 2014 Altima 3 months ago, I have had it into the Nissan dealership 2 times before this happened.

Saturday morning I was driving home and luckily pulled in somewhere to grab something to drink. I pulled into the drive thru and the car died, if I hadn't stopped it could have been a serious accident on the freeway!! I started it back up with no problem but as soon as I put it into gear it died again. I attempted to put it in R,N and D and every time it would die. I had to have it pushed into a parking spot, and called Nissan.

I had it towed to them and they eventually called saying it was the Transmission. I don't understand how a company, that I loved dearly(owned 4 previous Nissans, not Altimas) could know about this issue and think its ok to sell these to people!

I assume none of them drive an Altima and chance putting their children in it, thinking its a safe car! I have worked too hard, and still owe way too much on this vehicle for it to have as many issues as it does. It only had 40K miles on it, there is absolutely no reason why I should be doing this much work to something with that less of miles.

- Autumn R., Charleston, US

Mar 152017

• CVT transmission

The car started stalling in March of 2017. Contacted the dealer where I bought the vehicle. They had me take it to a Nissan dealership to have the diagnostic done. Once it was completed Nissan said the transmission was bad and it needed changing asap! Said it would cost $4000 or more. The dealership said they weren't paying for the transmission to be fixed.

- Natasha C., Lithonia, GA, US

Feb 082018

• CVT transmission

Thought we purchased our last car with a 2014 Nissan Altima but apparently not. My wife was driving to work on interstate and the car just shut down after violent shaking & sudden speed bursts. Fortunately no one was injured! This purchase was the biggest mistake of our lives and we will never purchase another Nissan, new or used!! Nothing worse then a car that still smells new but will not run...sad state.

- Bill G., Burlington, US

Feb 212018

• CVT transmission

First of all, I have to thank God I am alive today, being that because of my CVT issue I was left stranded in the middle of a very busy intersection where I almost was hit by several vehicles including a semi truck. Not to mention I almost caused an accident from cars swerving around me.

I've only had this vehicle for 9 months. Purchased June of 2017. I purchased this car used it was at 59 thousand miles when I purchased it and didn't realize that the warranty would be expiring at 60 thousand. I maintenance the vehicle as needed & replaced new tires in January 2018.

I started to notice a little jerking and stalling on February 18th2018 . But it didn't start acting up really bad until Feb. 21, 2018 while I was driving to work. I was at a stop sign perusing to turn left when the CVT decides to shut down completely. It was the worst, scariest experience ever. I was panicking trying to get the gear to shift but it wouldn't budge. I cant dare to explain the fear I had or the image stuck in my head as I seen car swerving around me. I was in shock & didn't bother to jump out of my car.

I was finally pushed out of the road onto the dirt until CHP came for me. I then had to pay for my car to be towed & went home. I couldn't work due to a headache from that scary moment. I think that if Nissan has known of these CVT failures they should be responsible for anything that has occurred due to the failed transmission.

It ridiculous that Nissan would continue to use these transmissions knowing of their failures. Nissan needs to realize that peoples lives are at risk. What happened to me can happen to anyone, luckily it wasn't fatal. I believe that someone needs to hold Nissan responsible & i am seeking a lawyer that will file a lawsuit against there poor decision making.

- mmacias, Avenal, US

Dec 302016

Altima 3.5 V6

This was the second transmission to fail in my car and to be replaced, yes I'm on my THIRD transmission in my vehicle. This time it put my son and I in what I feel was a dangerous situation, I have filed a complaint with the NHSA. We were traveling on the expressway at approx. 70+ mph, while going up hill with the cruise control on the car suddenly revved up to over 6,000 rpm and the transmission failed, the car would not accelerate. Got over to the side of the road and the car would not move. We were near the top of a hill on a very busy expressway at 10:30pm in the winter. Because all the tow trucks were busy the State Highway patrol had to respond and help get us to a safe location on the highway.

- Kathy P., New Lenox, IL, USA