8.8

$3,880

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (38 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Nov 032018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I AM EASY ON THE GAS AND BRAKES, AND DO A LOT OF HIGHWAY MILES AT NORMAL SPEEDS. THE TRANSMISSION SHOULD NOT FAIL AFTER 4 1/2 YEARS OF DRIVING. THE DEALER KEEPS TRANSMISSIONS IN STOCK!

- Tim T., Lakewood, US

Oct 252018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Bought the car in September 2018, with 28000 miles on it. One month later, last week in October I was just coming to a stop after exiting the freeway. The car was jerking then stalled in the middle of the road. Try restart the car and it would die when I shift. Scariest feeling being in the middle of the road seeing other cars driving around me! Finally got it towed to the dealer and found out was the transmission. It is still under warranty, so it is covered, but I am thinking about getting a different car now that I see this is not isolated. It is sad that these many cars have the same problem and NISSAN only gives 5 year, 60000 mile warranty. Nissan has the responsibility to fix this known issue.

- bigsnowman, Peoria, US

Apr 012016

Altima S 6

• CVT transmission

Since I purchased the car I had to change the transmission 3 times and had to get a new engine with the cost of over $5000.00. I was stressed out to the max because of such enormous amount of money I had to spend on repairs. I lost time from work and had to spend a lot of money on public transportation and cab services. I could not sleep at did not know what to do. I called the Nissan Cooperate office at least 5 times and they reported that they cannot help pay for the transmission and was not going to re-reimburse me. I find that to be ridiculous has I know Nissan is aware of the transmission problems customers have had and the amount of money they make annually. I am going to be cool about this stressful event and lost of money on many repairs I have made. I hope Nissan will do what is best and reimburse me for all of these expenses.

- Myriam A., Baldwin, US

Apr 282018

Altima S 2.5L

So my husband and I purchased a 2014 Nissan Altima from Chuck Hutton Chevrolet, it has 65000 miles on it. Within the month of purchasing this car and put $3000 down for it, it broke down in the middle of the road on my way to work. I'm glad I wasn't hit by anyone and that my baby was not in the car because it just stopped.

Long story short I lost my job because I wasn't able to get back to work because I couldn't afford another $3700 dollars to replace the TRANSMISSION. I tried to get Chuck Hutton to take it back being that I only had the car for 30 days, they refused. I contacted Nissan and told them the situation, they had me tow it to a Nissan dealership to have it looked at, in hopes of them paying for the new transmission. After about a week they denied it, and now I owe Nissan dealership almost 200 dollars just for looking at it.

Here it is October and my car has been sitting on a Nissan lot since April and I'm still paying the $350 car note. This car had a sticker price of 14000 dollars!!! It's not fair to the consumer, that Nissan doesn't want to recall and fix these cars!

Someone please tell me how I can also be involved in a class action lawsuit for the 2014 Nissan transmission issue if one is indeed going on or about to start.

- Lataya J., Memphis, US

Aug 282018

Altima 2.5 S V4

• CVT transmission

2014 Nissan Altima with 116500 miles regulary serviced and 95% freeway/commuting miles with CVT that failed. Nissan corporation unwilling to help with resolution. Rep said they would document my complaint. Thanks!! Had to replace at the tune of $3450. Had a 2007 Sentra prior to it that the CVT failed twice. Nissan obviously has problems with their product and unwilling to stand behind it. I realize it was out of warranty but failure at that mileage is unacceptable and 3 transmissions in 2 cars. I see a pattern here.

- Clint B., Nampa, ID, US

Aug 292018

Altima S

I got my car back in January. All of a sudden it started jerking and then losing power. Then it cut off and left me in the middle of a busy hwy. Nissan said they won;t cover it because I'm 8000 miles over my power train warranty. But there is a recall on the cvt programming for the transmission.

- Kaylee W., Macon, GA, US

Aug 152018

• CVT transmission

June 2017, took my car into Nissan because of transmission feeling like it was slipping. I was getting some jerking of the transmission, along with delayed acceleration whenever I was at a stop. Transmission was under warranty, 55k miles but Nissan stated they couldn't replicate the issue and sent me on my way.

Fast forward to two days ago. Out of nowhere I had the same delayed acceleration at a couple stop lights. Out of nowhere when I turned onto a busy street, my transmission completely slipped. Revved up to 4000 RPMs but was only going 20mph could not go any fast. Parked the car and turned it off, issue resolved.

Took it into Nissan the next day, still with no issues while driving. But they're stating that my entire CVT transmission needs to be replaced. Probably needed to be replaced when it was still under warranty, now that its not, they want me to pay $4000 to have it replaced. This is ridiculous, they don't want to own up to their CVT transmission issues and they are just profiting from the replacements.

Already filed a complaint under NHTSA (national highway traffic safety administration) I'm hoping someone opens a class action lawsuit against them. They already have one out on their CVT for Sentras. We need one for Altimas!!

- Dahsia M., Henderson, US

Jul 212018

• CVT transmission

I had no major issues with my 2014 Altima except their rather frequent recalls for safety equipment.

One day, when I was on the road at a red light, the engine just shut off. I had to push the button to restart the car. Then, when I stopped again, the engine stalled, too. I was horrified. It was Saturday afternoon so luckily there were fewer cars on the road. I barely managed to get to the dealership. They say I need a new transmission. The mileage is just over 64,000. This is insane.

I contacted Nissan USA for out-of-warranty support. I am waiting for their decision.

Update from Sep 4, 2018: After a month of contacting Nissan consumer affairs, they say my car is fine to drive because the engine does not shut off again. I think they are intentionally covering up their transmission issue and denying their liability. For those of you who have the same transmission issues as mine (engine shutting off, fluctuating rpm, dropping down a gear, delayed response), consider joining the class action suit.

Update from Oct 11, 2018: I got a few messages from others. This website is funny because you can send a PM but cannot reply!! Anyway, here is another update for others who are in the same trouble.

After I got back my car, the engine did not shut off. However, I experienced usual symptoms about 2014 Altima transmission: shuddering, delay response, sudden hike in rpm, you name it. Then, about a month later, stepping on the gas made no response. I took it to the shop. Let's see what they have to say.

- Kwan L., Ithaca, NY, United States

Jun 112018

Altima s

• CVT transmission

My 2014 Nissan Altima is barely 4 years old and requires a new CVT transmission. I filed a claim with NISSAN USA and they made a decision to deny covering the cost for the new transmission with the wrong car mileage. They stated my car had over 127,000 miles on it when it was 117,000. Additionally the claims representative, Kasha, made a point to emphasize that it was still going to be denied despite the wrong information. I was then referred to her superior and the same occurred, stating it was still going to be denied. I am currently awaiting another response from someone in a higher position.

How can you put a car on the market with a life expectancy of 4 years and have the nerve to sell it to hard working American families for over $21,000? Then make no effort to reconcile the issue by taking responsibility for your faulty product. I'm not asking for a handout. I'm asking for a quality car in return for what I pay for it every month. I still owe over 8k for this car and am now expected to pay another $4200.00. NO ONE should PURCHASE A NISSAN. The corporation doesn't care how hard you work for your money nor about the quality of the product they put out. If they did they would take responsibility for this poor product.

- Crystal L., Beach Park, US

Jun 182018

• CVT transmission

I was nearly killed while on my way to work during morning commute on the highway when my 2014 Nissan Altima abruptly shut down. Although the car has 114k miles on it, it has been well maintained with all suggested maintenance from/at the dealership, and most miles are highway. Not that it should matter!! The car is 4 years old and still being paid for and now I have to dump 3,500.00 into it. How can any car manufacturer justify this technology??!! Lesson learned. I will do my homework with my next purchase and will NEVER buy another car with CVT!. I am absolutely sick over this and prior to this incident told everyone how much I loved my Nissan. I take it all back!! Knowing there is a major flaw in this technology, some sort of credit or help should be offered or stop using this crappy technology as its not worth the extra gas mileage you may gain. I thought if I took good care of this car that I would have it for a long time. Prior to this, I had a 2006 Honda with over 140k miles on it. I would probably still be driving it had it not been totaled when I was hit by someone. DO YOUR HOMEWORK WHEN PURCHASING YOUR NEXT VEHICLE. THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN OF CVT IS AROUND 100K MILES!! UNLESS YOU PURCHASE NEW CARS EVERY FEW YEARS OR HAVE THOUSANDS OF EXTRA DOLLARS HANGING AROUND WAITING TO BE SPENT, I WOULD STAY AWAY FROM THIS FLAWED TECHNOLOGY. JUST ISN'T WORTH THE BLEEDING!!

- Joan S., Hawleyville, CT, US

May 182018

Altima 2.5L

I had just exited off of the highway and was approaching a red stop light. While slowing to a complete stop, the car jerked a couple of times and stalled. I had not had any previous issues with the transmission so this was new to me. I started it back up, put it back in drive, and it immediately stalled again. I was eventually able to shift into neutral and, with the help of a police officer, pushed it across the busy street and onto the shoulder of the on ramp.

I had it towed to a Nissan dealership who confirmed that the transmission had failed and would need to be replaced. They quoted $4,100 for the repair. Due to being within the 5 year warranty, and BARELY out of the mileage (Nissan extended the warranty to 5 years or 60,000....I was currently at a little over 62,200), I filed an appeal with Nissan. I am still waiting to hear back to find out whether or not Nissan will cover partial or the entire repair.

I have been very pleased with the service I've received from the service manager at the dealership. He guided me through the exact steps to take and told me who to contact in order to file an appeal and has been keeping me updated with the process. Having just bought a house a week before this, a $4,100 repair bill would be a major blow financially. I hope Nissan can make it right with this clearly defective transmission.

Update from May 26, 2018: Nissan has informed me that they will be covering 80% of the repair bill (which turned out to be a little over $4,300 in total). While yes, this situation was obviously a major inconvenience, I am pleased with the outcome. The service department at the dealership was very professional and understanding and they were quick to set me up with a loaner car while mine is in the shop. Having never been through this situation before, I feel they did a fantastic job helping me along the way!

- Scott H., Shakopee, MN, US

May 052018

Altima SV

I just bought this 2014 Altima 3 months ago, I have had it into the Nissan dealership 2 times before this happened.

Saturday morning I was driving home and luckily pulled in somewhere to grab something to drink. I pulled into the drive thru and the car died, if I hadn't stopped it could have been a serious accident on the freeway!! I started it back up with no problem but as soon as I put it into gear it died again. I attempted to put it in R,N and D and every time it would die. I had to have it pushed into a parking spot, and called Nissan.

I had it towed to them and they eventually called saying it was the Transmission. I don't understand how a company, that I loved dearly(owned 4 previous Nissans, not Altimas) could know about this issue and think its ok to sell these to people!

I assume none of them drive an Altima and chance putting their children in it, thinking its a safe car! I have worked too hard, and still owe way too much on this vehicle for it to have as many issues as it does. It only had 40K miles on it, there is absolutely no reason why I should be doing this much work to something with that less of miles.

- Autumn R., Charleston, US

Mar 152017

• CVT transmission

The car started stalling in March of 2017. Contacted the dealer where I bought the vehicle. They had me take it to a Nissan dealership to have the diagnostic done. Once it was completed Nissan said the transmission was bad and it needed changing asap! Said it would cost $4000 or more. The dealership said they weren't paying for the transmission to be fixed.

- Natasha C., Lithonia, GA, US

Feb 082018

• CVT transmission

Thought we purchased our last car with a 2014 Nissan Altima but apparently not. My wife was driving to work on interstate and the car just shut down after violent shaking & sudden speed bursts. Fortunately no one was injured! This purchase was the biggest mistake of our lives and we will never purchase another Nissan, new or used!! Nothing worse then a car that still smells new but will not run...sad state.

- Bill G., Burlington, US

Feb 212018

• CVT transmission

First of all, I have to thank God I am alive today, being that because of my CVT issue I was left stranded in the middle of a very busy intersection where I almost was hit by several vehicles including a semi truck. Not to mention I almost caused an accident from cars swerving around me.

I've only had this vehicle for 9 months. Purchased June of 2017. I purchased this car used it was at 59 thousand miles when I purchased it and didn't realize that the warranty would be expiring at 60 thousand. I maintenance the vehicle as needed & replaced new tires in January 2018.

I started to notice a little jerking and stalling on February 18th2018 . But it didn't start acting up really bad until Feb. 21, 2018 while I was driving to work. I was at a stop sign perusing to turn left when the CVT decides to shut down completely. It was the worst, scariest experience ever. I was panicking trying to get the gear to shift but it wouldn't budge. I cant dare to explain the fear I had or the image stuck in my head as I seen car swerving around me. I was in shock & didn't bother to jump out of my car.

I was finally pushed out of the road onto the dirt until CHP came for me. I then had to pay for my car to be towed & went home. I couldn't work due to a headache from that scary moment. I think that if Nissan has known of these CVT failures they should be responsible for anything that has occurred due to the failed transmission.

It ridiculous that Nissan would continue to use these transmissions knowing of their failures. Nissan needs to realize that peoples lives are at risk. What happened to me can happen to anyone, luckily it wasn't fatal. I believe that someone needs to hold Nissan responsible & i am seeking a lawyer that will file a lawsuit against there poor decision making.

- mmacias, Avenal, US

Dec 302016

Altima 3.5 V6

This was the second transmission to fail in my car and to be replaced, yes I'm on my THIRD transmission in my vehicle. This time it put my son and I in what I feel was a dangerous situation, I have filed a complaint with the NHSA. We were traveling on the expressway at approx. 70+ mph, while going up hill with the cruise control on the car suddenly revved up to over 6,000 rpm and the transmission failed, the car would not accelerate. Got over to the side of the road and the car would not move. We were near the top of a hill on a very busy expressway at 10:30pm in the winter. Because all the tow trucks were busy the State Highway patrol had to respond and help get us to a safe location on the highway.

- Kathy P., New Lenox, IL, USA

Feb 172018

Altima S 2.5L

Regular maintenance, no problems then Transmission failed with no warning!

- smgreen, Houston, US

Nov 042016

Altima S

• CVT transmission

Bought this car new. Around 50,000 miles, the car just suddenly turned off on me at a red light. It would turn back on, but as soon as I stepped on the gas, it would turn off again. Knowing this was more than just a battery issue, I got the car towed to my Nissan dealership. Turns out the transmission died and they had to replace it. Under warranty, thankfully.

This car has many reports of transmissions starting to die around 50,000 miles and that is ridiculous. I like to run my cars into the ground - because I'm cheap and don't like car payments, but at 65k miles, I already want to buy a new one.. while this one is still working and has trade in value. Never a Nissan again. Ridiculous.

I had a Toyota for 150,000 miles previous to this - and never had transmission issues. My parents are going 300,000 miles on their 1999 Toyota - No transmission replacements or even repairs (past typical fluid maintenance).

I hope we get a lawsuit against this happening. DO NOT BUY NISSAN.

- kaa622, Phoenix, US

Jun 232017

Altima SV 2.5L V4

• CVT transmission

I was driving home from work one day and I noticed that my car started to shudder and shake noticeably when braking. The very next day, the Altima also started shuddering and jerking even more when accelerating from 0-20 mph. I decided not to wait any longer to try and figure out the problem, and so I called into work and started driving to my nearest dealership. As I was trying to accelerate from a traffic light in drive, the Altima would no longer accelerate, leaving me stuck in morning rush hour traffic. I put on my hazard lights and began calling a towing company. When I turned off the car, and turned it back on again, the car once again accelerated enough for my to pull into a parking lot. I was then towed to the dealership, where I received a rental until the service department could identify the problem. After two days, I became impatient and researched the problem myself. It turns out that Nissan actually published a service bulletin about this issue for the '13-16 Altima and Rogue models, stating the CVT may shake, shudder, bump or vibrate during normal vehicle operation, and that this is due to either a faulty valve body inside the transmission or the CVT needing to be replaced. I sent a PDF copy of the technical service bulletin (#NTB05-084A) to the Nissan dealership, and they promptly agreed to replace the transmission with a refurbished one.

I am now debating whether to purchase an extended warranty (as my power-train warranty will now expire in a year from now), or just get another car. Needless to say, I am no longer impressed by the quality and reliability of this car, and I'm frustrated that I have to even consider purchasing an extended warranty because I cannot trust the car. This will be the last Nissan I ever own.

- Raymond B., Houston, TX, US

Jun 142017

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Bought my 2014 Altima new in December 2013. Have taken it regularly for maintenance to dealer. Without warning while stopped at a red light, as I began to accelerate the car jolted and shut off. I actually thought the car behind me hit the back of my car. Took a few seconds to realize the car was shut off. Turned car back on and put in drive, shut off again. Continued this for about a minute until I realized that it was going to go anyway. Luckily I was not in the middle of the intersection but about 1000 feet away.

I had to call AAA and have my car towed to the dealer. I was given a loaner and called about 2 days later to say that the transmission was going to be replaced. Picked up my car about a week later. Drove off and and noticed a check engine light was on. Had to take my car back to dealer. Said it was the O2 sensor that needed to be reconnected. They fixed it right away. Although the dealer has been great, I am going to start looking for a new car. I don't trust my 3 year old car anymore.

- joami34, East Windsor, US