8.0

$4,380

Most common solutions:

1. replace transmission (8 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Nissan Altima:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

Dec 172018

Altima 2.5L

• CVT transmission

THIS CAR HAS A CVT TRANSMISSION WHICH NISSAN IS KNOW OF THE PROBLEM FOR SOME TIME NOW AND WAS EVEN FORCED TO PUT EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THEIR CVT TRANSMISSIONS FROM 2002 TO 2007. HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT COMPLAINTS ON THIS TRANSMISSIONS SINCE MY CAR WAS SERVICED BY NISSAN EVERY SINGLE TIME ITS BEEN IN FOR ANYTHING. THE TRANSMISSION IS SHOT AND THEY'RE TELLING ME THAT THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS YEAR TRANSMISSION. ITS THE SAME TRANSMISSION THAT IS SCREWING UP. I WILL NOT EVER GO BACK TO A NISSAN IF I CAN HELP IT. JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK

- Michael W., Oliver Springs, US

Dec 172018

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

2-year old Altima with primarily highway miles needs an entirely new transmission. Dealership said I should reach out to Nissa North America. Nissan reviewed the case for 3 weeks without any updates or questions, then says they will cover half of the replacement cost. They say that is the best they can do as a courtesy because it is over the 60,000-mile warranty. Dealership quoted the repair at $4,500, so $2,250 out of pocket for a 2-year-old car. This is ridiculous.

- Paul J., Southfield, MI, US

Oct 032018

Altima SR 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My 2016 Nissan Altima would just turn off while I was on the highway, or driving anywhere for that matter. It would just turn itself off and then on. I caught it and took it right away to dealer, but the dealership took forever to actually diagnose the issue and to fix it. I STILL DON'T HAVE THE CAR BACK. They said they had to replace the transmission assembly. This is unacceptable for an almost 2-year old car. The car had only hit 27,000 miles when these problems started.

I don't understand why Nissan keeps making awful CVT transmissions and don't even have a recall on them yet. THEY OBVIOUSLY CAN'T MAKE A RELIABLE CVT TRANSMISSION.

Now I have to try and trade my car in eventually so it doesn't totally fail on me when my warranty runs out. DO NOT BUY A NEW NISSAN. THEY ARE FRAUDS!!!!!!!!!

- Lisa S., Tacoma, WA, US

Nov 152018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Brought my car into dealership on 11/15/18 and told them that my car was bogging down, sputtering etc....they did a diagnostic for problems and lo and behold, it was my 2016 CVT Transmission which I now have found out there was a recall on but I was never notified. According to Nissan the 2017 now have a 3rd generation CVT transmission, but my faith in Nissan to notify customers in a timely fashion has diminished.

I am 4,000 miles away from the 60,000 mile power train coverage and was lucky I didn't ignore the symptoms.

What would have Nissan said to me if this happened at 60001 miles? Oh, sorry and you owe $4,000. I have owner 4 Nissan Altima's and was looking forward to a 2020...might have to rethink this....

- ilene, Debary, US

Jul 172018

Altima SV 2.5L

I brought my Nissan Altima SV November 11, 2016. I also purchased the extended warranty...Thank GOD! I drive from Pennsylvania to New Jersey everyday for work. My ride is 1 hour 20 minutes to work and the same amount of time from work. I put approximately 180 miles round trip. All miles is straight highway mileage, no city driving as my job is located on a major highway. I service my car at the dealership on a regular to make sure everything is ok.

On July 16, 2018, I was on my way from work. I had to make a stop so I took highway 22 in New Jersey that leads into highway 78. I was on NJ Highway 22 which happens to have lights. I was at a stop light and when I went to step on the gas to go forward, my car started hesitating, then would not accelerate. I turned the car off, then back on and it gave a jolt before I was able to drive; however, when I came to the next light, which was approximately 100 feet, it did the same thing.

I was able to pull off the road, turn the car off, and restart the car again and it drove until I went up an incline. The car would not accelerate, so I had to cut the car off and then cut it back on before it would move. I drove this car like this all the way into Pennsylvania. The next morning it did the same thing as I was exiting to go to the dealership. Once in the dealership, after the diagnostics, they said the transmission had to be replaced. I was pissed. Thank God for the extended warranty as it would have cost me over $5000 grand to fix. My car was ready for pick up Friday morning 7-20-18.

After reviewing the complaints, I see Nissan has not corrected their CVT transmission problems. This seems to be an ongoing problem year after year with this particular car. How is it that some dealerships can fix a problem and others can't! This problem was in their 2013, 2014, 2015 Altimas. You would think by 2016, they would have gotten it right. What good is beauty on the outside when the inside is messed up! There is a pattern with this car! Approaching 100,000 miles, the transmission has to be replaced. That's a BIG PROBLEM!!! As much money as these cars cost, sticker price $28K, they should last, longer than 100k miles! BTW, I got a rebuilt transmission with only 12,000 mile warranty. That warranty will expire in 2 months because of the driving I do. I love Nissan! This is my 2nd Altima. I had a 2005 Nissan Altima, which was car of the year! however, if I have another transmission problem, BYE Nissan! This is how you lose customers!

Also, why hasn't the mileage not moved from 12K/36K Bumper to Bumper to at least 15K/45K per year Bumper to Bumper as far as warranty is concerned? Everything has gone up over the past 20 years except the mileage when you purchase new cars? WHY??? Just Curious! Curiosity killed the cat, but it was satisfaction that brought him back!

- mscritique60, Macungie, US

Jul 032018

Altima 2.5L/S/Sv/Sl/Sr

I purchased the vehicle in November of 2017 and it had 44967 miles. This is July 2018 and the transmission has gone out. This is unacceptable.

- Alethea J., Macomb, MI, US

May 252018

Altima S 2.5L 4 Cly

• CVT transmission

60,000 miles factory warranty seems very low. Of course mine has 62,000 miles when it goes out. Most likely finished with Nissan cars or at least with the CVT.

- Jay B., Kevil, KY, US

Jan 072018

Altima SR 2.5L

• CVT transmission

This is the newest car I have ever owned. Least miles 14k and first with a warranty This was a gift to my wife for Christmas. She is afraid to drive it and I am sick I didn't look for this site before. It's the last car in the world I would have bought. I would have sooner bought a Pinto. ( with a full cage a LS 427 Chev and a6speed).. I looked at a blowup of the CV trans. and they look like a snowmobile trans with that pathetic belt. Between the CVT and the engine going into the limp mode as well as the throttle lag from a start this car has more problems then all the cars I've owned in the last 30 years and I've owned it for 27 days. Be praying for me, or cross your fingers if your so inclined.

- George J., Olympia, US

Sep 222017

Altima 2.5 2.5L

I'm a small business owner who purchased 8 plus nissans and I had problems with several of them not being able to hit 80,000 miles. I just bought a 2016 Nissan Altima and found out they had faulty transmissions. I just bought it 4 months ago and the transmission is dead. Contacted Nissan and it took them 21 plus days to get back with me. They called me and told me they know about the issue but there's nothing they can do about it. The transmissions are faulty and its time for us as a people to take a stand #Nissanexp or # No More Nissan. Contact me as soon as possible we are about to take a stand. automaniacs2474u@gmail.com.

- automaniacs2474u, Atlanta, US