9.3

$2,440.00

Most common solutions:

2. replace pads, master cylinder and booster (1 reports)
  3. replaced master cylinders and bled the line twice (1 reports)
  4. replaced pads, master cylinder and ABS hydraulic unit (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Murano:

May 012014

Murano LE

When taken to the dealer, no problem was discovered and brakes were normal again..Date was a guesstimate.

- , Roanoke, US

Jan 042018

Murano SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

The wife had been driving and the brakes did not work properly. It has a soft pedal and then sinks to floor. have talked with a few mechanic friends some say MasterCylinder, and one thinks ABS controller/pump, he recommended to try and brake on a rough surface to get pump to activate and do that like ten times. did that and ti's worked for a couple times then pedal went soft again. going to try a used ABS unit, the master cylinder just does not seem to be the problem. will update when I get it and install.

- , American Canyon, US

Jan 042018

Murano LS

• CVT transmission

I think the brakes with this car suck and someone is going to wreck and get killed. Who would have every thought going over a bump will cause your brake pedal to go to the floor on your next stop. Please don't purchase if you stay in a state that it snows a lot. Driving to work today it just snowed last night so the road is ruff and uneven due to the snow and guess what? When I went to approach the stop sign brakes went all the way to the floor luckily nothing was coming. This sh*t is for the birds.

- , Lumberton, US

Dec 052017

Murano SL 3.5L V6

Love my 2009 Nissan Murano. Besides gas oil, tires and brakes, it barely needed a thing. Around 102,000 miles (about two months ago), I had all new brake pads, rotors, and two new rear calipers put on. Figured I was done with brakes for 50,000 more miles. I've had no problems since the brake work was done. Once the weather turned cooler (and that could be a coincidence) my brake pedal suddenly sunk WAY in before I could stop. Once it started doing this, it did it for about a week or two. I re-bled all four breaks and everything seemed fine - no air what-so-ever in the system. Topped off the fluid level. and I've continued to have the sinking break pedal. Two days ago, a nice, relatively warm day (could be a coincidence) they worked fine all day. Thought it must be the Master Cylinder leaking. Talked to a mechanic buddy of mine . . . 5 minutes later he asks if I know about all the complaints with the Nissan Murano 2009 brakes! Geeze . . . no, I didn't know. I look around and see I'm not the only guy having these problems. Definitely a major concern! Don't want to lose my brakes. So far they seem to catch when I'm WAY DEEP in the pedal range. Need to figure this out soon. Don't want to replace the master cylinder if that's not the problem. Looking for input and guidance.

- , Findlay, US

Dec 152017

Murano

So I have the exact same problem with my 2009 Murano. Tried to slow down on some snow, totally normal road conditions, my ABS engaged, but the pedal went to the floor and did not return. The top 10% of the pedal gives me 10% braking power, the middle 80% of the pedal travel does nothing, and only the bottom 10% of the pedal, just before it touches the floor, actually provides any real braking. As a result, the reaction time and stopping distance is terrible. This will cause an accident at some point.

I have tried what many suggest: taking out the ABS fuse and driving with no fuse for a day, removing the battery leads and leaving it overnight, tapping on the ABS module with a rubber mallet while someone pumped the brakes... none of it is working. The brakes are stiff as a rock when the car is off and pedal is pumped, but as soon as i start the engine, the brake pedal goes to the floor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to fix this? My local dealer said it would be over $2500 to replace the ABS module - which is absurdly expensive considering the car is only worth around $11,000. I know the NHTSA is doing an "investigation" but how long until we actually see a recall?

Will bleeding the brakes get me back to normal, if only temporarily? IF I can at least get it back to normal, then i can sell it.

Thanks for any help or advice.

- , Stamford, US

Oct 062017

Murano LX V6

This was complete brake failure! Brake pedal on the floor board with no resistance at all. It felt like a rubber band snapping and then boom - no brakes! After blowing through a red light and nearly taking out another car, I finally put the car in Neutral and let it roll to a stop. I just feel this a defect. Nissan should own it before someone gets killed!

- , Arlington, US

Nov 052017

Murano S 3.5L V6

I have had the identical problems as all of you here: loss of brake pressure causing the pedal get down to the floor. After two weeks at Sheehy Nissan Dealer in Waldorf, Maryland, nothing was fixed. After bleeding the line, replacing master cylinders twice, the problem is still the same.

I filed a complaint with NTSB.

If Nissan Manufacturings don’t recall, this problem cannot brake (stop) them going downhill.

- , Port Tobacco, US

Oct 012017

Murano LE V6

I have never been happy with Nissan's service departments, over the past 30 plus years and 6 Nissans, having tried 4 different dealerships, not to mention private repair shops. Needless to say, it's hard to get reliable and honest car service in the greater metropolitan NYC area.

My brakes have gone soft, sporadically, 6 plus times over the past 2 months. Having read the blogs out there, no one seems to have a solution. My local car dealership 1st disconnected my call when I called to ask what I should do. On my second call they maintained my VIN was invalid and recommended I call Nissan at (800) Nissan1, to ensure I had the correct VIN number?!!!! I've registered this car using this VIN, this particular dealership has serviced this vehicle with this VIN. Crazy.

In conclusion, after talking to the nice representative at the Nissan 800 number above, I had to read between the lines, but he has assured me if I take my car in for service, using a case# he gave me, that Nissan would make sure my brake problem would be resolved.

When I called to make the appointment I was expecting to have to wait for an appointment. Nope! I got the first appointment the next day. It sounds like Nissan wants to avoid a recall on these vehicles, but also wants to ensure there will be no lawsuits due to faulty brakes!

I provide this info for others to pursue.

Update from Oct 24, 2017: Now I feel I've been had. The dealership claimed the master brake cylinder was "defective" . . . they supposedly changed it (I neglected to ask for the old part), but due to complaints out here on the web stating that the master brake cylinder was NOT the solution, it makes me think Nissan did something else to repair the problem, but slapped me with a master brake cylinder repair bill. You see, Nissan's 800 number had stated they would put in for the necessary repairs to be covered. Only after I authorized the repairs did their idiot 'regional specialist' call me and tell me he was declining this request because the car was out of warranty. I feel Nissan led me on, generated a repair bill and then declined to cover. I am escalating this and will report back here, as well as to someone in the media, as well as social media. I realize I am but a small drop in the bucket, but to me Nissan has misrepresented themselves every step of the way.

- , New York, US

Aug 202017

• CVT transmission

After breaking hard for a light my brake pedal was very soft and going all the way to the floor. It could not drive it to a Nissan dealership because the closest one is 45 minutes away. I took to a local mechanic. For $1,800 they are replacing all pads, the master cylinder and the booster. I am afraid after reading other complaints that this will not fix the problem. Master Cylinder should not have to be replaced after only 63,000 miles. This is clearly a safety issue.

- , Palm Coast, US

Jun 032017

Murano

On 2 June 2017, I was driving east on Jimmy Lee Parkway in Hiram, Georgia. As I was approaching the intersection of Jimmy Lee Parkway and Metromont Drive, I was three to four car-lengths from the SUV in front of me that was stopped at the red light; therefore, put on my brakes to stop.

The traffic was very light and moving slow due to the red light. However, when I put on my brakes, my brake pedal seemed to had slipped and went all the way down to the floor board. Regardless, my car continued to move – NEVER STOPPED. When I realized that my car was not going to stop, I panicked and braced my left hand on the steering wheel.

On impact into the rear of the SUV that was sitting at the red light, my left hand took the entire impact of the accident. Consequently, my hand is currently swollen to double its normal size.

The accident resulted in rear-end damage to the SUV stopped at the red light and extensive front-end damage to my 2009 Nissan Murano.

The police officer was not aware of my brakes. It was never discussed at the accident scene. As a matter of fact, he cited me for “….following too close…” – WHICH IS INACCURATE and WAS NEVER THE CASE. However, he instructed me to drive home slow with my blinkers on due to the damage to my front hood area.

As I was driving, I carefully and deliberately stayed at least 10-20 car-lengths behind the vehicles in front of me due to brake situation. Because, when I put on the brakes, the brakes continued to slip to the floor-board; but the SUV would ONLY slow down and not fully stop. I purposely drove slow enough with my blinkers flashing so as to be fortunate enough to have ALL green lights all the way home. When I finally arrived at home, the steep incline to my driveway stopped my SUV enough to stall at my garage door.

I have since learned that, on 15 May 2017, the United States Government is currently investigating why 2009 Nissan Murano brakes lose pressure and fall all the way to the floor-boards which has caused many accidents all over the country.

I have attached two articles concerning the investigation that was launched in May 2017.

What is the current status on the United States Investigation? And, what can I do to bring this EXTREMELY DANGEROUS situation with faulty 2009 Nissan Murano brakes to the attention of Nissan so that people’s lives will cease being in danger on our roads – with the potential to injury and/or kill drivers and pedestrians? When will Nissan finally be held responsible and accountable for putting faulty brakes in their 2009 Nissan Murano’s?

- , Powder Springs, GA, US

Jan 182017

• CVT transmission

I'm also experiencing a soft brake pedal on my 2009 Nissan Murrano with 72,000 miles. I had already replaced rear rotors and pads, master cylinder and ECU ABS actuator. Nothing has resolved the issue. I'm into this job for 1,700.Amity Nissan said it was the Master cylinder and Acutator both parts replaced and didn't fix the problem. I'm still fighting with them. Ive never seen anything like this very frustrating. Having my local mechanic do my brake booster tomorrow hoping that will fix the problem. The job is warrentied. I had confidence in my Nissan but not after this fiasco. I'm wondering if there is any solutions that anyone might have . Thank You

- , Bay Shore, US

Feb 032017

Murano S 3.5L

My Nissan Murano (2009) brake pedal goes down all the way to the floor and it takes a while for the vehicle to stop. This has happened twice in the last few weeks. I got the brake pads and brake oil flushed at Firestone. The brake pedals went down one time but the vehicle did stop. I am scared that this might happen again and if the vehicle doesn't stop, it will be a serious issue. Hope this will have a recall and the car manufacturer will fix the issue before something serious happens to anyone.

- , Houston, US

Jan 072017

Murano

2009 Nissan Murano loses brake pressure after hitting bumps while braking. Brake pedal goes soft and driver is required to push brake pedal 3/4 of pedal travel before brakes enact. We've owned this vehicle since 05/2015 and this is the 4th rime this has happened. Vehicle is in this condition presently. Once stopped the vehicle stays put. The symptom corrects itself between a few hours to 1-2 days. We're on day 3 now.

I've had a local dealer look at vehicle but symptom was gone on arrival. At their suggestion, they replaced the brakes. It's very sporadic as to when it happens or the severity of the bumps to cause issue or even the speed of travel. The brake fluid is clean and at proper level, no leaks, Rotors are in good shape, and no warning or ABS lights on dashboard. There also has been no codes thrown by computer. I removed and reseated ABS fuse but issue still remains. A quick online search reveals multiple owners having same issue since at least 2012. Although the brakes don't fail entirely, it can cause accidents when pedal travel requirements change upon braking. It may be a pre-cursor to a complete failure if not addressed. I've read about people who changed Master Cylinder and bleeding brakes only to have symptom return.

- , Piedmont, OK, USA

Oct 142016

Murano SL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

Brake pedal is soft, dealer replaced master cylinder, didn't fix issue. Now dealership says ABS actuator with a WHOOPING cost of $2400. Are you kidding me. I love my Nissans and this is my third but this has shaken my confidence in them and is going to be my last one!

- , Jacksonville, FL, US

Oct 022016

Murano S 3.5L V6

Twice now during normal driving the brake pedal has gone all the way to the floor while trying to apply the brakes. There was a total loss of braking. After pumping the brakes they returned to normal. Took the car to the dealer and explained the condition and they did a full brake exam. Ended up having the rear brakes replaced. Seemed O.K. until it happened again today.

- , Niles, IL, USA

Jul 242015

Murano SL AWD 3.5L V6 Dohc 24v

The brakes seemed fine and firm, then all of a sudden they were soft and we had to use the emergency brake to control the car to a safe stop. The brakes were replaced, but it still happens now and again, and then seems to react normal.

- , Camano Island, WA, USA

Aug 012015

Murano LX 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I have a problem with soft pedal brake on a Nissan Murano 2009, the SUV has been in 3 workshops including Nissan dealer in my country, the couldn't help me because they say that the hole brake system was perfect, and the only thing they could think of is the Master Cylinder.

I went back to a mechanic that already make it work after bleeding the brake fluid, he detected that the front brake jaws rubber seals where like inflated, we change them and so far is working good.

We have some issues now about the AWD lock, it seems that is not unlocking, when you turn the car it feels like braking just like the manual says so, hope we figure out what the problem is now.

Did someone fix your pedal problem?

- , Guatemala, Guatemala

May 212015

Murano S 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

Loss of brake pressure especially noticeable after hitting small bumps while applying brakes. Spongy feel. Will stiffen back up after pumping a few time, but recurs randomly. Also, pedal goes to floor at long stop light. No ABS light or other indication of ABS engaging.

After checking pads, fluid & bleeding lines, father-in-law said had to be the master cylinder. Local (non-dealership) mechanic confirmed same diagnosis. I left the car with him while on vacation. He replaced the MC but in his own testing, he was not satisfied that the problem was resolved (same spongy feel & loss of brake pressure.) He continued for a week to test & research the issue (codes, Nissan service bulletins, etc.), but could not find a satisfactory resolution of the braking problem. He finally suggested that I take it to a Nissan dealer. (A side note here... my mechanic did not charge me ANY labor... trusting me with the "honor system" if it's determined that the MC is bad! Who does that?! :)

(In the interim, my A/C went out! After inspecting and testing, My mechanic thinks that is also electronic-related after checking all other "usual suspects". The fan blows, compressor not kicking on, Freon fully charged - no leaks.). So I took the car to a local Nissan dealership. They cannot duplicate the brake problem (my guess is they haven't tried very hard).

Recommended front pads and turn rotors. False. That is not and will not solve the problem. Told them previous mechanic said it had to be sensor-related (Yaw sensor, ABS/Traction control computer, VDC...?). Nissan guy said they did not see anything like that in the codes (mind you my mechanic pulled 23 codes for various issues, including the Yaw).

I DO NOT want to continue to drive my car with un-reliable brakes! There has to be a solution - and Nissan should be addressing!

- , Jenks, OK, USA

Apr 042014

Murano SL V6

The Murano's brake pedal is normally very stiff, but lately, the pedal goes almost all the way to the floor and must be pumped to engage the brakes. The service foreman at the Nissan dealer can't reproduce the event and has no idea why it is occurring. I guess my trip to the mountains is on hold. He suggested that we replace the front brake pads (15% pad left) and replace the brake fluid even though the fluid is clear and level is at the very top.

Has anyone else noticed similar problems?

- , Covington, LA, USA