2.8

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Sentra:

Jul 032019

Sentra

Goes limp, delay when pressing the gas while in motion, applicable to both city street and highway. Based on information gathered, it appears the transmission cooler is not providing adequate fluid cooling when driving in high temperatures resulting in the transmission fluid to get hot and the car to go limp (stalled acceleration) which creates an unsafe operating condition. Various dates...

- O'fallon, MO, USA

May 122018

Sentra

2012 Nissan Sentra lost power at highway speeds with family in car. No response from gas pedal. Coasted to a stop on side of highway and had to wait approximately 30 minutes until car was responding to gas pedal. Not safe for anyone to be driving this car. Many complaints about Nissan's cvt transmission without a solution from Nissan. Car had approximately 85,000 miles on it at the time. Same thing occurred around 102,000 miles. My car is regularly serviced and cared for. It is parked in a closed garage every night.

- Bloomington, IN, USA

May 182019

Sentra

Blighty vehicle used at route 46, totowa, NJ in 2017. It has 76K miles and we just moved to Rhode Island. My 18 year old daughter driving by herself up I 95 while driving 65 mph had the vehicle decelerate several times down to 40 mph despite pursuing the gas to the floor. At one point with semi trucks all around her it dropped to 25 mph where she had to put the hazards on while these trucks whipped by her. She got here but was freaked out. My odb picked up error code P074 for a clutch solenoid issue with the transmission. Known issue to Nissan. How many of these do we have to report before someone gets killed to get this listed as a recall to fix the transmission? NHTSA you have a duty to protect us and order Nissan to fix this issue.

- Foster, RI, USA

Mar 112019

Sentra

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan versa. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. No warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer bedford Nissan (18115 rockside rd, bedford, oh 44146) where the transmission fluid was flushed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA

Dec 012018

Sentra

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Sentra. While driving various speeds, the vehicle jerked and stalled. Additionally, there was an abnormal whistling noise emerging from the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to Nissan of norwich (691 w thames St, norwich, ct 06360, (860) 892-6000) where it was diagnosed that the belt needed to be replaced and there was metal in the transmission, which needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 35185453. The manufacturer stated that they would assist with sixty percent of the repair costs. The failure mileage was 57,000.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Oct 092018

Sentra

Car could not change gear while driving had to take foot off the gas, when shifting gears from park it was very loose and slippery, car can no longer be driven it will only go into neutral. When the incident happened I was waiting at the light with my foot on the break and it wouldnt shift back to drive when I stepped on the gas.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sentra

transmission crap* reported the issue yesterday with the Sentra going into limp mode at any time without warning dropping from 70 mph to 10 mph. Codes P0744, P1722, P1788 transmission codes. P0744 means you have to buy a whole new torque converter solenoid unit as you cannot just replace the solenoid. Cost of the unit $1,116. The P1788 code is the step motor that is inside the transmission. Aamco will not even rebuild the cvt transmission. They told me cheaper to buy another transmission than to fix this one. Time Nissan is held accountable for cutting corners on their transmissions in order to make profit. They are held accountable for the 2007 - 2010 cars, time to add 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 - ? since cvt transmissions are junk. Daughter Sentra only has 103,000 miles on it and well taken care of. For a car to go into limp mode with no warning is waiting for a fatal crash. Luckily this did not happen to my daughter. Appears the extended warranty Nissan placed on 2007 - 2010 models experiencing the same problems my daughter has with her Sentra. She graduated college and now is faced with a 2000+ bill for a repair since she cannot afford a car payment yet. What a way to welcome someone to the real world after graduating from college 3 days ago.

Apr 072018

Sentra

When going highway speeds the acceleration drops and will not come back with the peddle to the floor, was almost rear ended. At a stoplight when taking off the car would not accelerate. This has happened several times. Researched and found the issue is the cvt transmission. Nissan has extended warranty to 10 yr 1200000 mile on this transmission. I called to schedule and was told my VIN is not covered. Why?

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Sentra

"cvt transmission issues" 2012 Nissan Sentra sr 2.0L with 103,000 miles on the vehicle and maintained adequately since getting the vehicle in 2013. For the last six months, I have been experiencing my vehicle loss of acceleration on only being able to go 10 mph max when my vehicle goes into limp mode. This happens to me on the interstate 64 westbound from richmond, va to harrisburg, va going uphill where I was going 70 - 75 mph when the vehicle loss acceleration and my speed dropped dramatically almost causing a wreck. This is due to being in the left lane and having nowhere, I could pull off the interstate readily available. To me, this is a significant safety concern as this is happening now after being driven for 30 minutes to an hour. Took the vehicle to midas where I had them run a diagnostic test on the car to see if there are any codes on the car since there is "no check engine light on." The technician came back with the following: 'tech found that the cvt transmission is having internal problems-vehicle us not safe to drive. Tech found code P1722 est vehicle speed signal, P0744 at TR sw function, P1778 step motor. Also, vehicle needs front struts and rear shocks - no control of steering wheel. it appears Nissan has had problems with the cvt transmission from their 2007 - 2010 Sentra and issued an extended ten year - 120,000 miles warranty. Nissan needs to extend the warranty to every year that Nissan has used the cvt transmission as they are unreliable and eventually will cause a fatal accident on the highways with their transmission going into limp mode.would like my vehicle added to the cvt extended warranty - 10 years + 120,000 miles since my vehicle is experiencing the same issues as the 2007 - 2010 vehicles. Occurred on interstate, highway, and city.

Sentra

"cvt transmission issues" 2012 Nissan Sentra sr 2.0L with 103,000 miles on the vehicle and maintained adequately since getting the vehicle in 2013. For the last six months, I have been experiencing my vehicle loss of acceleration on only being able to go 10 mph max when my vehicle goes into limp mode. This happens to me on the interstate 64 westbound from richmond, va to harrisburg, va going uphill where I was going 70 - 75 mph when the vehicle loss acceleration and my speed dropped dramatically almost causing a wreck. This is due to being in the left lane and having nowhere I could pull off the interstate readily available. To me, this is a significant safety concern as this is happening now after being driven for 30 minutes to an hour. Took the vehicle to midas where I had them run a diagnostic test on the car to see if there are any codes on the car since there is "no check engine light on." The technician drove the car for 30 minutes and experienced the same issue I've been experiencing. The vehicle went into limp mode, and he had to wait an hour before the car would accelerate again. The technician came back with the following: 'tech found that the cvt transmission is having internal problems-vehicle us not safe to drive. Tech found code P1722 est vehicle speed signal, P0744 at TR sw function, P1778 step motor. Also, vehicle needs front struts and rear shocks - no control of steering wheel. It appears Nissan has had problems with the cvt transmission from their 2007 - 2010 Sentra and issued an extended ten year - 120,000 miles warranty. Nissan needs to extend the warranty to every year that Nissan has used the cvt transmission as they are unreliable and eventually will cause a fatal accident on the highways with their transmission going into limp mode. Please look into this matter for all Nissan Sentra 2011, 2012, etc. This is a problem.

Apr 302018

Sentra

Cvt transmission failure no recall option. The transmission has been slowly failing over the last 6 months slipping no recourse but to replace the vehicle has less then 100,000 miles.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 052017

Sentra

Transmission failed with no warning. Vehicle would not move after braking while still in gear. Only 78,000 miles logged.5.5 years old. Exact event: Backing slowly out of a driveway (in reverse); braked at end of driveway to look both directions; resumed acceleration (in reverse) as I turned and nothing happened. Vehicle would not "land" in any gear (drive, reverse, low drive, etc). Had to be towed from location to my mechanic. My mechanic diagnosed the transmission as inoperable and needing replacement. Recommended I tow to a Nissan dealer for hopeful coverage by Nissan. Nissan confirmed need to replace at the cost of $4156.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Aug 262017

Sentra

Purchased 2012 vehicle from dealership in Jan 2014 and have found that the vehicle is having a common problem in this model. Vehicle is decelerating while in motion. The traction control and ABS lights came on so we took it to mechanic who said we needed to repair brakes, so we fixed the brakes as needed. Lights did not go off so we returned it to dealer who then informed me that when hooked up for the diagnostic test, a code returned saying there was a problem with the transmission. I described that the vehicle was slow on takeoff. Travels about 3-4 mph during takeoff, causing backup in traffic, and potential serious rear end accident. Technician stated that Nissan acknowledged the problem and had extended the vehicle warranty to 60,000 miles. My vehicle has 50,000 miles so I was glad to hear, so I took it back to dealership for repairs. I was informed that I was out of warranty because warranty begins on date vehicle was manufactured, in this case Jan 2012, so out of warranty by 9 months. I argued that I had not owned it from the date it was manufactured, and how much was the repair. Cost is $4500 I do not feel that as a consumer we should incur this costly repair if Nissan has been made aware of this issue on this model vehicle. They should honor the defect detected and repair vehicle before there is a injury to persons because vehicle decelerates unknowingly at any given time, making the driver a sitting duck at intersections and takeoffs.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 052017

Sentra

While parked, vehicle starts but will not shift into drive, neutral or reverse. $798 to replace "shifter kit." Vehicle is less than 5 years old and with 75,000 miles

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

May 162016

Sentra 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Nissan Sentra. The contact stated that the gears failed to shift from park into the other gears intermittently. The vehicle was scheduled for an appointment with a dealer (clinton auto group in clinton, ia). The manufacturer was notified of the failure and issued two technical service bulletins, but there was no manufacturer recall. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 09/20/17

- Camanche, IA, USA

Apr 142017

Sentra

After driving for 3+hours, the car begins to deaccelerate and you cannot go any faster while on the highway; very unsafe. Quoted over $3.5K to fix transmission. Car should last longer than 80K miles! scared to drive it now. At one point, Nissan covered the transmission for 10 years or 100,000 miles--should definitely go back to this as the cvt is not safe! contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs to no avail...

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Mar 252017

Sentra

Vehicle stopped pulling in traffic almost got rear ended very unsafe Nissan says internal failure cost to repair 3800 dollars vehicle is not repaired scared to drive it.

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Feb 052017

Sentra

Purchased a brand new 2012 Nissan Sentra 5 years later my transmission goes. The Nissan dealer said it would be $3,600 to fix!! the car has 71,000 miles and the warranty ended at 5/ 60,000. After researching, transmission issues have been documented in older models but was supposed to be fixed. Coincidentally mine has the same issue.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 212016

Sentra

Vehicle refused to accelerate during prolonged uphill drive in 95F+ weather. Vehicle speed was reduced to below 50 mph and no amount of accelerator depressing increased speed or acceleration. Vehicle had to be pulled over for 10 minutes before it would accelerate normally again. No notice of engine overheat or malfunction was registered on the the dash. No indicators visible.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Apr 242015

Sentra

The gear on my car would not shift into "park" when I parked in a parking spot after driving around the city for 20 minutes. I shifted the gear into neutral then tried again but it still wouldn't work. After struggling for 7 minutes, I reversed out of the spot then drove the car around the parking lot and attempted to park the car again but the gear still wouldn't shift into park. After struggling and growing concerned and frustrated 5 minutes later, I repeated the process but the car still wouldn't shift into park. Ten minutes later the gear finally shifted into park when I parked the car again. The key cannot be removed from the ignition of a 2012 Nissan Sentra unless the car is in "park" and turned off.

- Arlington, TX, USA