1.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Xterra:

Dec 072018

Xterra

Sudden loss of power while driving between 10-15 mph. Immediate loss of brakes, acceleration, and power steering. Vehicle was in motion on the 405 fwy/sepulveda pass area during morning rush hour in stop-go traffic conditions. Was able to pull to side of road, and shut off vehicle. Waited 1 minute and vehicle restarted with no further issues on drive to work. From a review of online resources this looks eerily similar to issue outlined in prior recall issued by NHTSA listed under ntb10-137. This is serious and dangerous, and could easily result in loss of life!

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 062017

Xterra

The valve assembly and engine control computers failed. The vehicle will not start. The repair estimate is $3761.

- Dana Point, CA, USA

Dec 152016

Xterra

When outside temperature falls below 40 degrees Xterra will not start. Vehicle is stationary and not parked in a garage. Battery was replaced 11 months ago trying to fix the same problem. No other major issues with vehicle ever. Vehicle just towed yesterday dealer will not be able to diagnose until Monday.

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Feb 062016

Xterra

My ECU on my Nissan Xterra was supposedly shorted due to a loose or damaged cable. With my initial inspection of the vehicle, the cable was not loose, yet I still had problems. The issue happened when I had parked my vehicle to run an errand. When I returned, I started up my vehicle and attempted to drive. There was no power and the engine would not accelerate over 5 mph. Not wanting the vehicle to breakdown on a busy road, I backed up and parked the vehicle. I attempted to restart the vehicle, but this time the starter would crank, but would not turn over. After attempting to start it a few times, I disconnected the batteries and reconnected the batteries. Still, the vehicle would crank and not turn over. I called a tow truck, and they brought the vehicle to Firestone. Firestone told me that the battery cables had shorted and destroyed teh ECU/ECM. I was quoted 1500 for a piece of equipment that should last the life of the vehicle. The vehicle is only 5 years old. This sounded like a very intensive process, so I had the vehicle towed to Nissan. Again, they said it was the ECU/ECM. Nissan told me that the cables, the battery and the ECU needed to be replaced. Nissan has had past issues with 2010 vehicles shorting out and destroying the ECU's. I believe that it is Nissan's faulty electrical systems or poorly constructed ECU's that is causing the damage. For such an expensive piece of equipment to be rendered useless by having an imporper battery connection seems problematic and potentially unsafe. It is problematic, due to teh history of Nissan's cables becoming corroded due to their battery position. Likewise, there have been many consumer complaints that the battery terminals are poorly made, resulting in vehicle failure. This can be dangerous, for if the battery terminals fail, it can cause the vehicle to stop functioning, even when it has been started.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Xterra

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Xterra. During cold temperatures, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the emc module needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Waynesville, NC, USA