Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Pontiac G6:

Mar 222013

G6 6-cyl

The electric power steering assist motor / module locked up almost causing a wreck. A real safety issue, that G.M.C had recalled to fix the problem, but they would only fix part of problem after saying they would fix all of it, so the car still has the problem. I just bought the car and had not made my first payment, when the power steering went out!

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 092013

G6 4-cyl

While driving around a 25mph curve, power steering failed without warning, causing loss of control at the end of the turn. Because of the loss of control, I hit a guard rail. No injuries or airbag deployment.

- Romeoville, IL, USA

Jan 262013

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that when he started his vehicle, the power steering did not activate. He had to start the vehicle several time before the power steering activated. After the power steering was activated the steering wheel began to shake violently. While driving at various speeds, the power steering would failed intermittently. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 118,453.

- Lynchburg, OH, USA

Nov 062012

G6

Cid light chimes indicating power steering and check gas cap. Took car to dealer requires module to be replaced cost $600. Spoke to Pontiac my VIN was not identified as part of a recall because the recall was from a specific plant that built the steering column. I would think that all specifications were provided and built the same way. I have been reading a lot of the other complaints with regards to the power steering on your web sight and don't understand why this isn't being addressed by Pontiac. I believe Canada issued a recall why haven't we (usa). I was told that I can pay for the repairs and get reimbursed if there is a recall. I can't afford nor do I think I should pay to get an important yet defective piece of equipment replaced in the vehicle I purchased used. It cost $99 for the assessment that is not refundable. I see that the is a recall that you are requesting to expand in regards to the Pontiac G6 perhaps the power steering or should I say manual steering since that is what my vehicle is at the present time.

- Jeddo, MI, USA

Jan 292013

G6 6-cyl

My power steering went out. Warning sound came on and "power steering" illuminated on my screen. I had to drive the car about 50 miles like this. Took it to my mechanic and he told me it was an electric assist power steering failure and that I needed to take it to the dealer for repair and that these cars had a faulty steering units and they should replace for nothing. The dealership told me the repair would cost approx $600 and that the mileage had expired for this extended warranty. I am 20K miles over the 150K cut off. No one notified me that this was faulty or I would have took in for the repair before the cut off.. faulty is faulty no matter how many miles the car has!!!!!!!!!!! this is no way to treat customers!

- Jackson, GA, USA

Feb 012010

G6 6-cyl

The steering started to make a pop/ clunking noise. And occasionally the power steering alert goes off. This has been going on for years now. And still happens. I continually hear more reports of this issue and concerned nothing is being done. I have had several mechanics look into this issue and none knows what exactly what is wrong and why it's happening. I've also read about high dollar "fix" by GM mechanics just for the issue to come back within a year. We need a investigation and a recall done about this before serious accidents or fatalities happen!

- Westerville, OH, USA

Oct 222007

G6 6-cyl

I've received but can't locate documents indicating that the steering column in 2006 Pontiac G6 has problems. The steering column freezes up and I can't turn my steering wheel when I'm driving and has almost caused accidents. This has been a big issue and dangerous, in fact everyone refuses to drive my car due to this issue. It's especially bad during the fall, winter and spring searsons, not so much during the summer. I have my grandkids in cars and am so afraid they will be injured.

- Vista, CA, USA

Jun 172008

G6

In the middle of driving I lose powering steering. I have talked to someone about this, but they said that they couldn't do anything since the car had just passed the mileage that was set. This problem was a consistent problem before the mileage that was set. I had no idea what was going on and since it went away after I turned the car off and back on I thought it was no big problem. It then again happened the following month after that incident while I was driving on I95. I then did a google search on the problem and found that there was a recall in affect since 2007 and this is when I bought the car. GM is refusing to fix the problem that they are responsible for causing. Now I have a car that is I can't get fixed just because they did a poor job in putting the information out to the public effectively about the fault. I do not feel that I should have to pay for something that happened during manufacturing process.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Feb 192007

G6

So when I first received my Pontiac, I loved the car, but then right away as I would turn I could hear a clicking noise. Took it back and they couldn't hear it at the time of service or what ever the incident was. Over the years, I was back and forth with the matter and now it has obviously gotten worse. Then the power steering warning light came up where my radio is and no check engine light so I figured that it needed more fluid. Well, there is no reservoir on the car any where, I had 2 mechanics looking every where and nothing. And recently outta no where as I am driving it just completely locks up on me!! not only is this very dangerous, but extremely scary when I have my 4year old daughter in the car!! so I went on a Pontiac web site and the forum said to make a complaint because Pontiac doesn't believe this is a big enough safety issue to recall it! while I think it is!!

- Sacramento, CA, USA

May 022012

G6 6-cyl

There was a recall on 2005-2006 G6 however GM indicates that my vehicle was not affected. After reading bulletin 10183A dated May 12, 2012 I contacted GM and took my 2006 G6 in for a diagnosis. I was informed that I would have to replace the assist motor module before they could tell me what else was wrong with my vehicle. My Pontiac G6 has experienced loss of powering steering, check engine light is illuminated on the dash. This vehicle loses power steering within the first mile of driving. Like vehicles that were recalled for this condition I to must turn my vehicle off and restart the the ignition to regain steering. The vehicle pulls completely to the left if you were to lose control of the steering wheel and there was an oncoming vehicle there would surely be an accident. I keep hoping that I don't get reared ended while making a right turn or hit another vehicle causing front end damage or perhaps injury. There were 15 warnings with my G6. The cost to replace the motor module first quote was $749. I was later given a discounted price that GM thought to be fair at $560. My vehicle is driven by a young driver. This vehicle as I was told by the dealership is not safe to drive so I should be careful. I tried to ask the GM district specialist who determines the affected VIN numbers and he did not have that answer.

- Grant Townhip, MI, USA

Dec 272012

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, a grinding noise was emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel seized. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder, shutdown, then restarted but the failure persisted. The failure recurred several times and the vehicle was towed to a dealer where the contact was informed that the steering column and modem needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Clevland , OH, USA

Jan 092013

G6 4-cyl

Power steering locked up on me. I just got done drive over 3000 miles in the last couple of weeks. Apparently this was an issue with this car, but I never received the letter about this recall.

- Middletown, RI, USA

Jan 062013

G6 6-cyl

I bought my Pontiac G6 2006 from a used car dealership in Dec. 2011. I had some pull in the steering when I first bought it. I had my car check for alignment issues, the rotors check and brakes checked. All were ok. Was told by mechanic it was nothing to be concerned about. 5 days ago my steering wheel started shaking real bad when braking. Sunday Jan. 6,2013 for the first time my power steering light came on and steering went out while I was driving. Was extremely hard to steer. Luckily managed to pull over and turn off car. I turned off my car waited a minute and when I turned back on my car I had my steering back. I could of had a serious accident and I have a teenage driver who also drives my car. It occurred again on mon Jan. 7,2013. Steering was ok then just out of nowhere steering stops working again while driving. I contacted GM dealer and they said it was not on recall. And that they only have power steering assist covered up to 150,000 miles. I noticed there was recall on the 2005 Pontiac G6 power steering. I also noticed that there are alot of complaints over the same issue I have on the 2006 Pontiac G6. I am wondering why nothing has been done.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Aug 202008

G6

My power steering column went out while I was trying to turn into my apartment complex and I almost side swiped another vehicle. I lost all power steering. I went to the dealership and got the problem fixed for $700 and with in the time of the part warranty it went out again. It is now 4 years later and it just went completely out again. I know for a fact that there are hundreds and hundreds of 2006 Pontiac G6 owners that have experienced the same problem. This could end up being fatal for someone in the right situation. Also when you call to speak to GM about the problem they brush it off as if they have never heard of it before which can not possibly be the case if there are so many people complaining of the same problem.

- Manchester, TN, USA

Dec 262012

G6 6-cyl

My wife was driving on the freeway doing about 67-70mph to work when she started to fell the steering wheel shake then it started to pull left. I have checked tires, wheel lugs, an suspension components. Its been about four days now. Really bad at slower speeds an she scared to drive the car. So I drove it today an it scares me really bad I can't even think about puttingg my kids in this car its really that bad please help !! everything is true:(

- Greenfield, CA, USA

Dec 262012

G6 6-cyl

My 2006 Pontiac G6 steering wheel moves back and forth by its self. When I'm driving the power steering stops working and becomes very hard to steer.

- Cameron, WV, USA

Nov 092012

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the power steering failed, causing the contact to merge out of their lane. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the contact was informed that the failure could be related to a module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 87,000 and the current mileage was 88,500.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

Nov 302012

G6 4-cyl

Last night on two occasions my power steering stopped working and the lights on my dashboard went off as well as my headlights. The power steering warning light and battery light came on. Once while pulling into a parking spot I almost hit another vehicle and then again while pulling onto on coming traffic. My car wouldn't turn and there was a bus coming my direction. I could have easily gotten into a serious accident. This problem is very dangerous and scary. I will not be able to drive my car until this problem is solved. Please help!

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 272012

G6 6-cyl

2 days in a row I have been pulling into parking spaces when all of a sudden my power steering stops working, the power steering light comes on, and a alert chime sounds. Pontiac has recalled other makes/models for this exact problem, but the 2006 G6 was not included in this recall. My car is becoming dangerous to drive because of this defect. There are plenty of reports of this online. Why is Pontiac not being required to recall these faulty cars" 2 months ago I contacted Pontiac because my car was leaking fuel from the gas line. This was happening because of a faulty plastic part in the fuel pump. Again, Pontiac had a partial recall for this exact same part, and the exact same problem on other models, but no recall for the 2006 G6. Since leaking fuel is a hazard to my family I was forced to get this fixed, and Pontiac did not reimburse or help with the cost. Again, why is Pontiac not being required to recall these faulty cars that are dangerous to the families who are driving them"

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jul 152010

G6

The contact owns a 2006 Pontiac G6. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph the steering became difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the warning chime began to sound. The contact stopped the vehicle on the shoulder of the road and shut the engine off. After restarting the vehicle regained power steering. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The contact stated there was a manufacturer recall for the power steering. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the VIN was not included in the manufacturer recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Euclid , OH, USA