Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix:

Sep 012013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I bought the car August 2013 and it seems like the cooling system has the issues. The engine light as well as the low coolant light have always been on even though there were sufficient coolant. I saw there was a recall regarding the issues back in 2008 or 2009. I called them today and they told me the recall has been closed. I checked the car fax and there was no recalled done on this car. Every time when I am driving, I kept looking at the engine temperature. Every time when I am driving, I am worry there will be a burning smell. It is a such metal burden for me. I wish I could buy a newer car, but I am a medical student and I cannot afford too much for the car. Please let me know if the recall is still open.

- Kirkland, WA, USA

May 292014

Grand Prix 6-cyl

As im driving the vehicle stalls and turns off..then I hv to put it on neutro and turn it back on then it turns on like if nothing and stops again. It shuts down while im driving on freeway busy streets everywhere and I almost got hit straight on cause the car just turn off and stopped in the middle of intersection.

- El Paso, TX, USA

May 052014

Grand Prix

Last Monday I was going to the ball field to watch my nephew practice baseball. I pulled in, shut my car off and went to get the stroller out of my trunk for my daughter. I started to see smoke, and then I started smelling it also. I hurried and got my daughter into the stroller and then saw the smoke starting to get heavier. I popped my hood and opened it and it was in flames. I tried to get water but I didn't have none. I then called 911 and the fire squad came and put the fire out. I had no clue at the time why in the world my car caught on fire I was just excited that neither my daughter or I were harmed. Unfortunately I only have liability on my car so there was nothing I could do for it. I decided to search google that night and see if this had happened to others before and there I found out that there had been a recall on my car for engine fires. I had no clue there had been a recall done in 2009 for my car. Was wondering if someone could help me out with my situation.

- Crittenden, KY, USA

Feb 272014

Grand Prix

While driving, there was smoke coming from the engine compartment and onlookers were flagging down the car. When I got out of the car and call fire rescue the car caught on fire from the front engine part and then through the whole car. GM has already been notified and looking into the claim.

- Miami Gardens , FL, USA

Nov 202013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My Pontiac Grand Prix 2002 caught fire in my driveway a mere 10 minutes after I got out of the vehicle. 5 days later I received a letter stating that there was a recall on my car for engine compartment fires. I contacted GM who took responsibility for the recall and they refused to compensated for the damage the fire did to me car. The fire was due to the exact recall that GM sent me in the mail. They neglected to notify me, until my car had already been totaled from the damage. They now say my car was "out of warranty" and refuse to help. If its "out of warranty" why did they said me a notice saying they would repair the recall free of charge. If they take responsibility for the recall how can they not take responsibility for the damage that the recalled part caused? I could have been in the vehicle, my house was a mere two feet from the car and the fire and could have burned down.

- Manville, NJ, USA

Mar 172009

Grand Prix

Can not start up again after shut down have to wait till cars cools down.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Jun 152013

Grand Prix 6-cyl

After ten minute drive from work to home, parked the car & 5 min. Later was informed by a neighbor that the car was on fire! I did not smell burning or anything unusual when I parked it. The flames were coming out of the air intake on the hood and burning plastic was dripping off below. My small fire extinguisher settled down the flames, however by the time the fire department arrived the fire and smoke had become larger than before. The car is now totaled and although I had previously received a notice for a earlier recall, and taken the car in to the dealer, I never received a notice for the fire issue. The representative at GM claims division said since the car was more than ten years old (despite the fact I bought it from the Pontiac dealer more recently) I had no recourse. After very little research I found this same scenario all over the internet and assume it will only become more common as these cars continue to age. Hopefully a class action lawsuit will emerge as those people who lost their investment in their vehicle continue to grow.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Oct 032012

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times and on some occasions, the vehicle overheated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 114,000 and the current mileage was 120,051.

- Durand, MI, USA

Dec 232012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

On 12/23/2012 at 7:15pm we just arrived home & parked our 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix in our garage. About 3 minutes later my daughter went into the garage & came to get me telling me our garage was filled with smoke. Our car was on fire. I tried to release the hood but it did not release. I tried to start the car to drive it out of the garage it turned over but didn't start. I tried to put it in neutral. The gear shift moved in neutral position but the car would not release. The doors automatically locked. My brother in law and family just happened to come in the middle of these events. He hooked a chain to the car and drug it out of our garage with his 4X4 truck. The drivers window was broken to regain access to the car and try the hood release again. The hood would still not release. A pry bar was used to force the hood open. Buckets of water were continually thrown on the car during this entire event. Once the hood was open the fire was put out. The car is a total loss.

- Huntington, IN, USA

Dec 062012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Parked car and turned it off in drive way. Smelled smoke and got out. Car fully engulfed in minutes. Called 911 and local vfd put out fire. Total loss.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Dec 022012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

When parking car, discovered smoke coming from under hood. Opened hood to discover small fire on top of engine, moved away from vehicle and called 911 and watched as entire engine started on fire and burned entire engine compartment.

- Sergeant Bluff, IA, USA

Sep 202012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

My car was parked at a walmart for approximately 15 minutes when I was notified over the intercom to report to the service desk. They informed me my car was on fire and they had notified 911. When I got to my vehicle the engine compartment was engulfed in flames.

- Atchison, KS, USA

Jun 082012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

As I pulled into my garage, I noticed there was a lot of smoke coming from the engine compartment. When I opened the hood, I found the engine cover was on fire, the foam on the under side of the cover was melting and dripping onto the hot engine. I took the cover off and put the fire out without damage to the electrical or spark plug wires. I did follow through on the recall several years ago when it was reported that the oil could catch fire on the reflector guard on the front of the engine, that is gone, but this seems to be made out of plastic on the top of the engine, sliding into a hole at the rear and held in place by the oil cap. Is it safe to run this without the cover" will the engine catch the insulation under the hood on fire" I have owned this since new and have taken very good care of it, still in very good condition with the exception of this issue.

- Independence, KY, USA