8.5

Most common solutions:

2. replace dashboard (10 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

Mar 092017

Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl

My car has a melting dashboard and I went to Toyota about it and all they said was the recall expired and there's nothing they can do about it. How does this make any sense for you guys to put an expiration date on a product that YOU guys messed up on? When it's sunny out, I can barely see past my windshield and it severely lessens the value of the car. I would just like this to be repaired. If I ever crash because I can't see past my glaring windshield, Toyota will be held responsible.

- sammyd775, Philadelphia, US

Jul 052012

Camry SE 2.5L

The dash and steering wheel are sticky and shiny. The dash puts a horrible glare on the windshield. It is peeling off and everything sticks to it.

- Marchell A., Altoona, US

Apr 012018

Camry

We purchased this car three years ago and were so excited to purchase another Toyota/Lexus, as at this point it is about all we will own. HOWEVER, no one mentioned to me that the Toyota Camry was a part of the dashboard "warranty extension", which is a ridiculous way for Toyota to make sure something doesn't show up as a recall....I got a notice for my Lexus and promptly had it replaced. I NEVER got any kind of notice regarding the Camry being a part of the "warranty extension". Now that the Camry dashboard is melting, cracking and falling apart, I called Toyota, only to have them tell me sorry, it is no longer covered. WHAT? How can you decide when something is going to fall apart?? So now we are not only screwed as far as getting it fixed, we are also screwed if we want to sell it because it looks like hell. Whereas I would have recommended Toyota before, that has gone out the window. I will make sure to tell anyone that asks my problem with not getting the dashboard fixed and not recommend purchasing a product from a company that doesn't stand behind their product, class action suit or no class action suit, "warranty extension" or no "warranty extension". How pathetic...

- Laura A., Beaufort, US

May 242018

Camry SE 2.4L

dashboard melting

I just purchased my 2008 Toyota Camry on May 19, 2018. I've noticed the dashboard melting by the 3rd day after trying to "clean" what I thought must've been oil residue from the car having been cleaned. The dash now has lint smeared in it's stickiness. The glare and touch is awful. I just called Toyota who informed me I'm about 2 months out of the window to have this issue fixed. I believe that as long as this car is still being sold that Toyota should stick to being a reputable company by continuing to fix this issue.

- Kendra T., Melbourne, FL, US

May 072018

Camry LE V6

I noticed my dashboard having a shiny glare on hot days making it difficult to see out of my front window while driving. I went to clean the inside of my dashboard last week 5/20/2018 and the towel I used to clean it with started sticking pieces to the dashboard with its lint. I never had this issue before. I went to touch the dashboard and it was very sticky to the touch. So now I have permanent lint and a gooey sticky dashboard as well as a driving hazard because of the glare. This brings the car value down and goes against Toyota's impeccable safety and quality standards that I expected when buying the vehicle. Please extend the warranty on my vehicle and help me fix this issue on the car. I don't have the money to pay for such a repair out of pocket and shouldn't be forced to do so.

- Heather K., Sebastopol, CA, US

Aug 312017

Camry LE

dashboard melting dashboard melting

Not sure what is going on with this problem, but it is not normal for a car dashboard to be having this problem no matter how long it might be in the sun. I have had other cars and this has not happened. On this application, I was advised to put a date this happened but not sure when it started taking place. I do know that it is becoming a safety hazard when the sun hits it while driving. I do not do a lot of driving anymore, so like I said, not really sure when it started happening.

- Charlotte H., La Porte, US

May 062017

Camry 2.4L

Right behind the dash the plastic has been melting. At first I thought it was sap and I rubbed it off but it kept getting worse. Now the whole dash is this shiny, gooey material that is impossible to clean. What's worse is when the sun hits it there is a terrible glare and I can't see anything when it reflects off of the windshield. I suspect it also releases some kind of chemicals that have been making my windshield oily because it never stays clean. I don't smoke or anything so there's no reason for my windshield to be that oily.

- Robert N., Pflugerville, US

Aug 072017

Camry LE 2.2L

Cracks and sticky. Is there any solution to repair or replace the dash?

- Michele K., Sardis, US

Nov 162016

Camry 2.5L V4

I need Toyota to accept responsibility for this problem and replace a new dash under warranty

- Mohsen R., perth, Australia

Apr 112014

Camry SE 2.4L

It is melted and there is nothing I can do to clean it. Its hard to find dashboard covers for this as well. I would like this fixed!

- joelcwilson, Biloxi, US

Nov 032015

Camry Altise V4 2.5L

The dashboard has become sticky like glue and no one is able to touch or clean it. Very bad experience with this car

- Jatinder K., Sydney, Australia

Jan 012014

Camry

Given run around from dealer for over 3 years. Always tell me that they are too busy to fix or they have too many to fix...3 years. Shouldn't I have been on some sort of waiting list. I'm at the point where I have contacted Toyota directly and I am waiting to hear back. I am about to contact local news stations and BBB to try to get this taken care of. Since extended warranty issued by Toyota runs out in May of 2017 to get this fixed. Its their screw up, not mine. I should not be stuck with melted dash on a car. What if I wanted to sell it, who's going to buy a car with melted dash...?

- Carol H., Cape Coral, FL, USA

Nov 302015

Camry LE V6

Terrible reflection from sun during day, street lights at night. Have been waiting for Toyota to come up with solution.

- Pat S., Va Beach, USA

May 222013

Camry

I went to replace my dashboard for CLASSIC TOYOTA-SCION 8510 Tyler Blvd, Mentor, OHIO 44060 in 07-18-2016 ... But there is no response from them until today. I asked Advisor RYAN F. KALCHER for how long do I need to wait for the DASHBOARD and he said, "it might take a year". And now I am still waiting for their call......But I am not sure how long that gonna take.... MAY BE A YEAR....????

- mikefrank, Cleveland, OH, USA

Aug 202016

Camry LE 3.2L

I am here in Tampa FL on a project. I was paying $751 for a rental car and decided to buy a used car instead to reduce my monthly expenses. I bought Toyota Camry LE 2008 for going to office and comeback everyday. I noticed the Dashboard was very shiny and in sunlight reflecting from dashboard and was bothering my eyes. I bought sunglasses to protect my eyes. Dashboard is very sticky like a sticky glue. Used Car Dealer told me that there is a recall on this dashboard and I don't need to worry about anything. I t will be replaced free, but I took the vehicle to Toyota dealer after I bought the Vehicle for oil change and no one mentioned anything about recall. I have been buying Toyota vehicle since 2000. I bought two brand new vehicle and two used one in sixteen years, never seen anything like this in Toyota vehicles. I don't know if there is any recall on 2008.

I will appreciate, if someone can let me know about the recall on this dashboard.

- shaur, Tampa, FL, US

Sep 072015

click to see larger images

dashboard melting dashboard melting dashboard melting dashboard melting

I am originally from the Midwest and moved to Florida a test and a half ago and since I've moved south my dash has become very tacky and scratches easily. I can't even clean it without causing more damage. Not only is it unhealthy but gross and devalues the car. I recently learned about the defect but can't reach anyone to see if I qualify for a replacement.

- Wendy C., Atlantic Beach, FL, USA

May 012016

Camry ES 3.2L

A few months ago I started noticing the extreme reflection coming off my dashboard and noticed how shiny it was. Thinking that my wonderful husband dressed my interior (Armour all) never thought to touch it. Well it got worse and at one point I decided to touch it---YIKES, it's a sticky mess. I tried wiping thinking something he used is damaging my dashboard, the stickiness wouldn't budge. So I decided to check recalls, because this can't be melting from the sun could it? Well to my amazement it was in fact a recall/warranty enhancement, so I called Toyota and was told that I would have to schedule a service inspection and they will determine if it were caused by heat or humidity. Well shoot what else would be causing it? I noticed where my inspection sticker is placed on my windshield that part isn't sticky, I guess since its sorta a barrier between the glass and dash it didn't cause melting. But I definitely can tell when my car is sitting in a parking lot at work, when I get to my car the dash is HOTTTTTT and a sticky mess. So I have an appointment this Saturday as that is the only day I can take off. Will update after they inspect and take pictures. Hopefully its not going to cost me anything.

- Michelle D., Mechanicsville, VA, US

Aug 012016

Camry G 2.0L

The dash board is very sticky and easily scratched

- Keat Cheng T., Bayan Lepas, Malaysia

May 012016

Camry

dashboard very sticky as if its melting. cant even clean it

- Jonkneeica M., Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Camry LE V6

I would like the dash replaced. It is ridiculous that so many have this same problem.

- m. wendy, Fort Myers, FL, USA