7.5

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Toyota Camry:

Jul 152019

Camry 4-cyl

There are two issues with my 2018 Toyota Camry with 10,250 miles and under warranty. (1) one is a knocking sound that a Toyota dealer I took it to said is an engine problem and they have pulled the engine but they have not figured out what the problem is yet. This problem was missed when I took it to another Toyota dealer for the 10,000 oil change on July 30th, and expressed concern about a noise I thought could be a muffler noise.. this engine could have failed and only lucky for me it didn¿T while I was driving. This vehicle should be on the recall list for this engine problem and for the (2) transmission powertrain problem. When I pull out into major streets from a side street, I have to do it very gradually and cannot accelerate quickly because it will miss gears. This also could be dangerous when trying to pass other traffic on busy highways of one lane in each direction. Consumer stated she does not wish the investigator to make contact with the automaker at this time of the investigation.

- Tempe, AZ, USA

Aug 012018

Camry

When slowly accelerating from about 20 miles per hour to about 40 miles per hour and around 2500 revolution per minute, the engine and/or transmission shakes and/or stall.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052019

Camry

Vehicle is shuttering at stop signs and has a major lag in acceleration which has lead to some close calls merging onto the freeway and pulling into traffic.

- Oregon City, OR, USA

Jul 282019

Camry

In motion: Today 7/28/2019 while pulling out in traffic the car would not accelerate and I looked down in the gear shift drive and neutral was lit and the netrula was flashing. Next, the check engine light appeared, and the dash start flashing star inflation malfunction and see a dealer immediately. I just purchased. My granddaughter was in the car this was very dangerous and scary.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jul 032019

Camry

2018 Camry SE, slow to take off when stepping on gas after a stop or slow down mostly noticeable on city streets. Very hesitant & gas must be pumped in order for transmission to catch up. Almost involved in accident when coming off exit ramp & onto highway. Car wouldn't accelerate & other drivers were at speed limit behind me. Gears shift almost like a manual transmission. Gas pedal can be difficult to push at times as well.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 202017

Camry

Takata recall. Whenever I engages the brake or slow down and try to continue driving the car hesitates and jerks and it does this from day 1 that bought the car

- Bunnlevel, NC, USA

May 012019

Camry

Defective transmission: 1: car hesitates to speed up from a full stop or while in motion. 2: RPM's go over 3000 before car reacts (2-3 seconds delay), dangerous specially when taking curves or merging into traffic (highways, fast traffic roads). 3: I feel a "hiccup" like movement while in motion (sometimes). 4: car hesitates to shift or shifts whit excessive power. 5: downshifts and loss of acceleration (it happens erratically dealer have replaced the vehicle transmission, but the problem persist, now they are going to replace the vehicle computer and if the problem persist they will replace the transmission again. It seems like they don"T know what the problem really is. Until now this are the symptoms I'm experiencing with my 2018 Camry 4-cyl, certainly something I wasn't expecting from a Toyota product. The unpredictable behavior of this car is dangerous, I never know when is going to response as it should do or when I'll have to floor it so it can rev up and finally move.

- Humacao, PR, USA

Sep 202018

Camry

The contact owns a 2018 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that rodents entered the engine compartment and ate the electrical wiring. The wiring attracted rodents and other animals. The contact had the vehicle previously repaired for the same failure, but rodents ate the wiring again. The vehicle was taken to Toyota of ridgecrest (321 N china lake blvd, ridgecrest, ca 93555, (760) 375-4401) where it was diagnosed that there was rodent damage. The dealer stated that the failure was not their responsibility. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 6,700.

- Caliente, CA, USA

Jul 022018

Camry

This vehicle has a major delay/hesitation when hitting the gas to accelerate. When I am attempting to accelerate or pass another vehicle, it takes 3-5 seconds before the engine reacts. It is dangerous when attempting to pass another vehicle in multiple lane traffic - the chances of being rear ended because of the hesitation are high. I have addressed this issue with a dealer and they continue to tell me that the vehicle doesn't have the issue that I am experiencing - it most certainly does! I am fed up with the lack of action to remedy this dangerous flaw.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Oct 182018

Camry

The contact owns a 2018 Toyota Camry. While parallel parking, the rpms increased to 6,000 and the engine revved as if it wanted to accelerate. The contact quickly depressed the brake pedal, shifted into park, and powered off the engine. The vehicle was restarted and was able to drive normally. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the same failure occurred on four different occasions. The vehicle was taken to ed morse delray Toyota (located at 2800 S federal hwy, delray beach, fl 33483, (888) 469-2898) where no failure was found. The dealer accused the contact of depressing both the brake and accelerator pedals at the same time. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer. The manufacturer provided case number: 1811150364. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012018

Camry

1. every time I back out of my driveway my brakes squeak very loudly. 2. the transmission never knows what gear to be in while driving and will clunk in and out of gear while in motion. 3. has a terrible burning smell of plastic and oil like when the car engine is hot. 4. drive side cabin has a constant antifreeze smell while running the A/C 5. the engine has a horrible load knocking noise while running. It sounds like a very old car. 6. I don't know what's wrong with the acceleration of the car or if it was designed this way but the 3-5 sec delay is dangerous I have complained about each one of these items to the Toyota dealer in gastonia nc at the 5 mile, 10mile and 15mile service and each time the dealer just tells me its fine and that's normal.

- Shelby, NC, USA

May 232019

Camry

Car engine knocks after warming up. Knocks goes away and comes back. Loss of power and noisy driving. Occasionally engine shakes at startup. My wife drives this car all the times and she complaint me several times in her words that car is not smooth and I keep ignoring. I have started driving this car after her complaint to make sure nothing is wrong or car is safe. I have recorded several videos of engine knocking having car parked in my garage. Secondly gear shifting is very abnormal. Sometimes shifts down for no reason and sometimes takes longer to shift down while passing and stays in lower gear for long time about 5-7 seconds even upshifted using lever on steering wheel. I could not record abnormal shifting operation due to safety reason during driving. I am just not sure how long this has been going on but I noticed this week ago after my wife complaint.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Mar 012018

Camry

I purchased my Toyota 2018 Camry SE with 4 miles on it. Almost immediately I noticed that the car has major problems accelerating. While resuming driving, from a stop sign or red light and merging on to a highway, when I press the gas pedal the car has a major delay in acceleration. It makes a loud revving noise like a sports car when I put my foot on the gas, and the car does not take off when pressing the gas pedal. It is a major delay.its very slow, and you barely move while the car is making a tremendous and embarrassing amount of loud noise. In order to try and avoid being hit by oncoming traffic, I press the gas pedal to the floor, and at this time I don't know what will happen. Its totally random. I could take off out of sync with pressing the gas too quickly, or barely move at all. This is hazardous. I have complained to the service department twice at the Toyota dealership, that I purchased my car with no resolution. The dealership said both times, that they test drove my car and said nothing was wrong with the car. Please do a recall on this car for our own safety.

- Rocky Point, NC, USA

Jun 012018

Camry

From the first week of driving, there became a terrible and annoying hesitation of 3-5 seconds when accelerating. Since this is a V6, it accelerates great, but I realized after deceleration and then accelerating again, there was a long delay before the engine would ¿catch up¿ with the idea that we wanted to go again. Upon complaining to service, they said it takes several hundred miles for the computer to learn how each individual drives. Again, after several hundred miles, the same occurrence, and it seemed to even get worse as I sometimes spin the front tires (on ice and snow and wet roads) once the car's computer actually accelerated. Once the dealer actually ¿reset¿ the computer which made things worse because the ¿learning¿ mode started over. Several times I complained and finally one of the master techs admitted this is because of the drive-by-wire system that replaced the mechanical foot-pedal direct acceleration. He said it's also complicated by the 8-speed transmission, that when decelerating, the trans upshifts to maybe 6th or 8th gear, and once the driver accelerates again, the drive-by-wore system, which is already delaying acceleration from the drivers foot pressure, has to then up shift several gears ¿immediately¿, this causing a lurching (and sometimes tire spin). Toyota acknowledges the ¿problem¿, but says since other similar cars do the same thing, that it's ¿normal¿. I disagree. It's is a fault, a design defect, and it should be investigated and repaired. Toyota has become service-lazy in recent years and refuses to fix design flaws, forcing their customers to deal with faulty cars.

- Andrews, NC, USA

Apr 132019

Camry

I just bought a Camry SE 2018 and everytime from takeoff to a stop pedals or transmission feel rougt is like the car dont move if you gonna take off I need to press the pedal so hard to get the car move to pass the others cars the same thing I dont feel safe in this car I have a 2017 elantra at that Hyundai handle better than the Camry so aceleration is rought I just have two days driving and I know thats cant be like that. So that happen when the vehicule is in motion after stop when pressing the gas pedal after stop when going to drive again hard aceleration and car wasting to much gas Camry has 43K I bought it use and that happen the first day I bought I was thinking maybe is me cause I have a Hyundai but I drove before a 2014 Camry and is not like that

- Bronx, NY, USA

Apr 082019

Camry

The contact owns a 2018 Toyota Camry. On various occasions, the contact heard an abnormal knocking noise coming from the engine while driving. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired, and the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 21,600.

- Deoto, TX, USA

Apr 022019

Camry

Defective transmission: 1: car hesitates to speed up from a full stop or while in motion. 2: RPM's go over 3000 before car reacts (2-3 seconds delay), dangerous specially when taking curves or merging into traffic (highways, fast traffic roads). 3: I feel a "hiccup" like movement while in motion (sometimes). 4: car hesitates to shift or shifts whit excessive power. 5: downshifts and loss of acceleration (it happens erratically) 6: I heard a soft metal-to-metal "knock" sound when I lift my foot from gas pedal while in motion. Until now this are the symptoms I'm experiencing with my 2018 Camry 4-cyl, certainly something I wasn't expecting from a Toyota product. The unpredictable behavior of this car is dangerous, I never know when is going to response as it should do or when I'll have to floor it so it can rev up and finally move.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jan 032019

Camry

Takata recall: When accelerating and deaccelerating the vehicle I noticed the transmission shifts really rough and makes the car jerky like it's going to stall out. Do not feel safe at all with my brand new car driving this way. I¿ve had the car for 7 months and want to get rid of it as soon as possible for this rough ride experience!

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Sep 282017

Camry

Lag and hesitation when going to full throttle on the gas pedal. It hesitates for a second and then finally grabs on to accelerate. It has done this since I purchased it but was hoping it would work itself out eventually, but this hasn't happened. Toyota did a tsb software update for the 4 cylinder but not the V6.

- Tulare, CA, USA

Jan 162019

Camry

8 speed transmission the transmission performs poorly, regularly stalling between shifts, causing a lag in acceleration. It can't seem to pick a gear, leaving the vehicle stalled briefly, while the accelerator is depressed. Once, at a large intersection, in a high traffic area, from a stop, I attempted a right turn. The car stalled, while I depressed the accelerator, causing a mild panic, as I was confronted with an 18 wheeler attempting to turn into my lane. The car eventually accelerated, getting me out of the way, in a harried and frustrated huff at the poor performance of this new car. The transmission does not mis-perform upon every single shift of the gears, but there will be mis-performance occurring on every single trip taken in the car.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA