6.3

Most common solutions:

2. add oil (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid:

Aug 042016

Camry Hybrid Hybrid

I have been noticing my car burning excessive oil for over a year. I did not know that it was a Toyota wide issue. I have been taking my car in to various car maintenance places for oil changes and mentioning the problem but no one told me there was a technical service bulletin issued regarding this problem. I do not take my car to the Toyota dealer for general maintenance because it is too expensive and not convenient. A friend of mine found there was an issue and a warranty enhancement and also this website. I have called a local Toyota service department but they said that I am within the warranty buy years (less than 10 years) but over my miles (154,000). They suggested I call the Toyota motor company directly. I called them on June 15, 2017. They will not repair it since my car is over the mileage coverage of 150,000. I told them that I never received a letter for the warranty enhancement. The lady I spoke to could not tell me when the letter was sent out or to what address it was sent. She also made a comment that I do not bring my car into Toyota to get serviced. .

Today 7/12/2017 I called again. I told them that I had taken my car to Toyota numerous times and I was never told of this issue. She said that I wouldn't have been told unless I had noticed it and told them. I should have asked her then why was there a letter allegedly sent then but they didn't tell me at the Toyota service department . My car is burning a quart of oil a week. They refuse to fix it. I asked to speak to her supervisor. I am scheduled to receive a call back within a day.

- , Ellicott City, US

Jan 122017

Camry Hybrid

At the last regular maintenance appointment the mechanic said that there was less than a quart of oil in the motor, and that I should report this to Toyota, and may need to consider having the engine rebuilt. He said that this is a known issue with this year Toyota Camry Hybrid, and is related to the installation of defective piston rings at the time of manufacture.

This 2009 Camry Hybrid has been serviced regularly (5000 mile intervals) by expert Toyota mechanics since new. Prior to this, the car has never consumed oil, had any significant issues, and has never been abused. The majority of the miles on this car have been accumulated on major highways at relatively constant speeds. My previous two vehicles (both Honda Accords) went well past 200,000 miles before I sold them, with no issues.

- , Hillsborough, NC, USA

Mar 312016

Camry Hybrid

An auto technician told me this is a very common problem (in fact Honda has a recall for the exact same issue) due to the oil viscosity being too thin and allowing the heat to build up. He indicated that (and bear with me here, I'm no mechanic, so some of what I describe is in layman's terms) there are rings around the piston heads that sit in a groove....these rings are supposed to be able to expand and contract. When they expand appropriately, this keeps the engine from burning too much oil by not allowing it to pass the piston head. However, due to overheat, these rings seize in the groove, thus not allowing for appropriate expansion; therefore, allowing excess oil to bypass the piston head and "consumed" (burned up) by the engine (excessive oil use). He recommended changing to a different oil viscosity (i.e. 5W20, etc.).

- , Armada, MI, USA

Sep 112014

Camry Hybrid STD 4 cyl

I have to carry around oil in my trunk so I can refill it.

- , Philadelphia, PA, USA

Apr 012015

Camry Hybrid

My 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid started using an alarming amount of oil earlier this year, after we hit about 85,000 miles. When it got to the point where I had to run the car over to Jiffy Lube between oil changes to add oil, I took it to the dealer. They changed the oil (for which they charged me $90) and started their "engine oil consumption test" and told me to return with the car in 1,100 to 1,300 miles. Well, I checked the oil dipstick after just 3 weeks and found the oil level was down by half.

I called the dealer in a panic and was told not to add oil or touch the dipstick again until the 1,300 miles ran out, even if the car oil light came on or the engine froze up. The service manager told me that if the engine froze up, Toyota would tow the car to the dealership for me and replace the engine. This is crazy. I don't have any such promise in writing from Toyota, and in any event, my extended warranty expressly says that "in the event of a mechanical failure, You must take immediate action to protect the vehicle from further damage." I don't know what to do.

Now that I've taken the car to the dealer for this problem, an entry has been added to its service record (which shows up on Carfax) reflecting that I had the car tested for excessive oil consumption. So I can't sell my car for what it should be worth. And from what I'm reading here, I can't get it repaired by Toyota, either, unless the oil over consumption is extreme enough to damage the engine. Toyota should not get away with this.

I just paid off the car and have both a Warranty Enhancement (for "replacement of parts related to Excessive Engine Oil Consumption") and a platinum extended warranty to 100,000 miles, but I don't think either is going to do me any good here.

- , Oak Park, IL, USA

Jan 012015

Camry Hybrid LS

My oil pressure light started coming on. Checked oil and fluid was extremely low. There is no way a car should lose that much oil between oil changes. Did some research online and found out I'm not the only one with this problem. This would be a huge problem for toyota if this became public. I'm sure they will fight if with everything they have. So disappointed, I paid all this money for a "reliable" car and this is what I am stuck with. Think I will go with a Honda next time.

- , Castro Valley, California (CA), USA