Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Prius:

Oct 232003

I have always had problems with the brakes on the Prius, but the dealer keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with it. Yet you first hit the brakes on they are ok, but if you have to hit them hard - no brakes...yet the dealer can't find anything wrong with it. "the computer doesn't show anything wrong" I guess I will have to kill someone before I can get them to listen and fix the problem. The last 12 years have been a nightmare......why can't we get them to recall this" I seen so many people you complain about the same thing yet nothing is done"

- Shamjon, NC, USA

Jun 012005

Prius 4-cyl

While decelerating and driving over speed bump/raised cross walk, brakes feel like they release and the car surges forward. Has happened on a regular basis when similar conditions exist (pot holes, or anything that might cause loss of traction on 1 wheel). Dealer insists that this is "normal" for anit-lock brakes. Really just a matter of time before it results in rear-ending someone due to unexpected surge.

- Framingham, MA, USA