8.4

$290

Most common solutions:

2. replace bulbs (22 reports)
  3. replace ballast (2 reports)
  4. replace lighting control module (1 reports)
  5. replaced hid headlights. no outages since (1 reports)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Apr 072018

Prius

Problem with headlights going off started several months ago, but now it's a daily occurrence and happens in the dark! Today it happened twice. Really surprised Toyota doesn't take care of this as it's definitely a safety issue and they've known about it early on. Death or injury is sure to occur.

- Bethaney M., Freeport, MI, US

Feb 082018

Prius

I had this problem several months ago with the lights going off, flickering. I replaced the bulbs and i was good for about 5 months. Now the same problem is happeing again. It was already a very expensive fix. It is dangerous driving around and all the sudden both lights go out or one is out....I never know what to expect and don't know what to do to fix it.

- Julie S., Hilo, US

Jan 202018

Prius LS

I bought this 2007 Toyota Prius used and was not informed by the seller that there was a problem with the HID headlamps. While driving, the right headlamp will periodically flicker and/or cut out. I received one ticket regarding this problem. I discovered that turning off then on the headlights resets it to be on. After researching the problem online, I discovered that this is a known issue with Toyota and that there was a class action lawsuit. Replacing the bulbs for this model are very expensive and this problem should not be occurring. I would like to know how to get this problem resolved. It is very dangerous to be driving at night and have a headlight flicker off....

Thank you!

- Edlynn T., West Coxsackie, NY, US

Dec 012017

Prius Touring

Driving at night last night, the low-beam lights would randomly go out. Flicking them off and on usually made them come back on, turning the brights on and off didn't seem to help. Very unnerving, and we got pulled over by a cop.

- Kenneth F., Washington, US

Oct 082017

Prius

2007 Toyota Prius has had an intermittent problem where the passenger side headlight would go off. If I turned the lights off and back on the light came on. This has been an ongoing issue. I've been pulled over by police 2x because a headlight was off. When I turned the lights off and back on the officers haven't given me a ticket. I had my mechanic try to troubleshoot the problem but he couldn't find a problem. Now the driver side headlight is doing the same thing. This is definitely a safety hazard. I searched the internet to see if others have this problem and there's lots of complaints with this issue.

I thought there must be a recall on this by Toyota. My 2007 Prius is obviously not under warranty. I took it a Toyota dealer in Kansas City and they charged me $475 to replace 2 headlights!!! They said there isn't a recall.

- flotown1, Florissant, US

Oct 272017

Prius

6 months ago right headlight went out. Had both headlight bulbs replaced. Now both headlights only work on high beams. It's not the bulbs, what's going on. This is very dangerous! Need a solution for this situation.

- Audrey B., Delavan, US

Oct 052017

Prius Limited

The high intensity lights just went off, both suddenly while driving two nights ago. Last night, again both lights went out. It is scary and incredibly dangerous. I took to the local Toyota leadership yesterday and the lights appeared to be working. Lights may come on intermittently but then abruptly go off.

- Mary B., Clancy, US

Feb 212017

Prius LX

The headlights turn off randomly even after replacing new bulbs. It cause the danger to drive in the dark.

- Ming-Yuan C., Lexington, KY, US

Sep 012017

Prius

It is so annoying! Enough so that I almost never drive it at night.

- deb02013, Kirkland, US

Jul 202017

Prius

Purchased the vehicle for our teenager and she hasn't been able to drive it in the evening for fear of suddenly being behind the wheel of a car driving in the dark! Willing to pay for new HID bulbs...even though the dealer was charging over $600 to do so!...but this didn't fix the problem. Now, we have to go back and start from scratch trying to figure out exactly what needs to be done.

We understand from others that this is NOT an isolated incident. Toyota, how about standing behind your product?

- Laura F., Oak View, US

Jun 232017

Prius

Just bought a used Prius, very nice overall. Top of the line package. Immediately noted one of the "marker" lights wasn't working, bought a bulb, but lamp was working when I went to replace it. A few days later was told my headlight was out. When I arrived at the auto parts store to replace it, I noted it was working again. Since, I have noted it has been on and off very randomly, in my case always (so far) on the passenger side. It appears turning it off and back on again allows it to work (for a while????).

- waltkinsey, Winston Salem, US

Feb 092009

Prius Touring 1700cc

Both headlights went off intermittently, sometimes at the same time. Toyota sent out a recall but the dealership would not take care of them at the same time because it didn't show up for them when I brought the vehicle in. I ended up going to the dealership 3 times to fix the issue. Once for each headlight and once to show them when the other one wasn't working but I didn't have the time the leave the vehicle so I asked them to notate it in their records.

- Catherine L., camas, WA, US

Mar 312017

Prius

Drivers side headlight turned off intermittently, would go back on when I turned the headlights off then on, finally went out entirely after a few days and our local dealer replaced it. Can I just rant about Warrenton Toyota? This is the second Prius we've had from these model years (we love the car except for this!) and for the third time no one in the service department "had ever heard of this problem" wide eyed blank stare. Thank goodness for google or I wouldn't have heard of the lawsuit. We got suspicious on the last car when both headlights went out in the same week. Warrenton Toyota just said must just be two bad $159 bulbs! This time when I asked how long they are supposed to last I was told you never know, it's just like light bulbs in your house. I guarantee a $159 bulb in my house would last longer than these bulbs do.

- Carolyn W., Casanova, US

Mar 132017

Prius

Received a violation ticket a few months ago. The street lights were very bright and I had not noticed that the headlights had gone off, but was stopped by a police officer. I just assumed at the time that I had inadvertently forgotten to turn them on!

Have noticed this happen a couple of times recently and this was brought to my attention while driving a couple of nights ago, by the driver and passenger of a car in the next lane as we were stopped at a traffic light. I had definitely turned on my headlights and we checked this again as they turned on and were fine until I was driving on the freeway and noticed that they had turned off again.

Came home and had my spouse check if the headlights were turning on and off with the switch and they seemed to work fine.

Took it to the dealership and was recommended to have the HID lamps replaced with new ones. Spoke to the Toyota Consumer hotline representative and was informed that there was a settlement regarding a similar issue several years ago: www.hidsettlement.com and www.girardgibbs.com/prius.asp (websites not available at this time). Tel: 800-746-3614 was also given to me, which was continuously showing a busy tone :(

This definitely has been a very annoying and frightening experience! I will get the HID headlamps replaced as recommended by the dealership. They say they have checked all the other electrical and computer connections thoroughly. I sincerely hope that the new replacement headlamps will solve this issue.

- Vidyut L., Redwood City, CA, US

Jan 012016

Prius 1.5L

• CVT transmission

My Toyota has a lighting problem, the light will randomly turn off. I live in a very rural part of the country and it is very dangerous.

- James H., Hampstead, NC, US

Jul 052016

Prius

At first it was one headlight that stopped working. I replaced that headlight. Then both lights turn off intermittently while driving. I can be driving on a winding canyon road at night (those who live in Los Angeles know what I mean), and suddenly the lights go off. I then turn the light switch off and on again, and the lights come back on. This has happened as many as four times in a 10 mile drive.

- Aviva H., North Hollywood, CA, USA

Oct 122016

Prius Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

How does one fix this knowing that it is intermittent. I am not going to buy a new bulb just in case - the bulbs are unreasonably expensive.

- mantcan, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada

Mar 152016

• CVT transmission

Ongoing problem with Prius Headlights, very dangerous. Changing bulbs does not help, this is an electrical problem that Toyota seems to have never addressed with a recall. Started at 50,000 miles, still ongoing at 195,000 miles, despite new bulbs.

- bonvivant, Keansburg, NJ, USA

Dec 022016

• CVT transmission

Worried about the cost of unnecessary citations at random roadside police stops for inoperable headlight.

- R H., New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 262016

Prius V6

This seems to be a common complaint and yet there has been no recall that I'm aware of. It's extremely dangerous to be driving on a dark road at 60+ mph and have your headlights suddenly go out. We are taking it into the dealer ASAP because we don't feel safe driving it at night.

- davidw@lisco.com, Fairfield, IA, USA