8.0

$1,620

Most common solutions:

2. partial engine rebuild, pistons, gaskets, rings (11 reports)
  3. replace engine (9 reports)
  4. dealership said it's normal (5 reports)
  5. rebuild engine (5 reports)
  6. partial rebuild of pistons, gaskets, and rings (3 reports)

Jan 012017

• CVT transmission

There is an obvious problem with the 2010 Prius and its oil consumption. What's the point to saving fuel if you are just burning through oil at a rate of a quart every 600 miles.

- Chip D., Tuckahoe, NJ, US

Dec 012016

Prius

It is painful and scary because you never know when the engine oil is burned out and will cause engine failure while driving.

- Shengli W., Windsor, ON, Canada

Dec 302015

Prius

Call Toyota Corporate and they said there was nothing they could do since it was past it's normal warranty, nothing about my extended warranty that would have covered it.

- Garry G., Decatur, IL, US

Jun 132017

Prius III

• CVT transmission

So as an avid Prius Lover I found it had to publicize this issue. My car has used at least 1 quart of oil per Thousand miles driven for at least the past 18 months. Now we are to the 1 quart of oil consumption per every 300 to 500 miles. Toyota says if it happens before 36,000 miles of use they would deal with it. Now it is sorry Charley! In addition there is a cylinder 3 misfire code that re occurs. Now @ 286,000 miles. As a point of reference My 2001 Prius accompanied me on 345,000 miles and even at that age only used only 1 quart per 5,000 miles.

- John M., Spencer, NY, US

Jun 062014

Prius Level 2 1.6L

• CVT transmission

Excessive oil consumption, quart every 500 to 750 miles!

- David C., New London, US

Jan 012018

• CVT transmission

My 2nd largest complaint on the 2010 Prius... First (which might be related) is a extremely loud knocking noise on cold start; I am aware it is normal for cars to start rough when it’s really cold - but never would I expect my Prius to sound like a Mack truck starting up. So now we’re just over the 100k mile warranty and BAM the car starts drinking oil... in the beginning I got the empty light (and dry dip stick) so I filled her up and took it in right away to make sure someone didn’t leave a filter loose. Everything checked out, so I asked them to do everything possible to clean the engine; ran me a few hundred bucks.

Get home and less than 4K miles later the light came on again - dip stick dry Again! Back to the dealership we go. “Oh we’ve been noticing this a lot sir, but to be honest it’s acceptable to burn 1.5 quarts of oil per 1k miles”... I now keep oil in the back of the car and check the dip stick frequently like one of my old beater cars.

Used to love Toyota, came from a family of Toyota owners and I love technology - so the Prius has always been a vehicle I wanted to own; prior to these two major issues I was still going to purchase another Prius in the future because every car company is going to have bugs in a new generation first year model. My opinion of Toyota has now drastically changed and I no longer plan on purchasing this brand. I know other owners experiencing the same issue with newer models, and to have a company tell me 1.5 quarts of oil is acceptable to burn every 1k miles is just ridiculous. BUYERS BEWARE!!!!

- Warren B., Saint Robert, MO, US

Mar 012016

• CVT transmission

I took this into the dealer when I noticed the oil level was down after 1500 miles. They ran their "test" and said it was normal to lose a quart in that number of miles...have NEVER had this happen on any other car with much higher mileage (have a VW Touareg with 270k miles and it doesn't consume even 1/4 quart in 8kmiles!!). Concerned about both the pollution from the burned oil...and the impact this is having on the catalytic converter.

- Kevin K., Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

Dec 012016

Prius 2 4

• CVT transmission

The Prius burning through one quart every 1000-1200 miles is a pain-in-the-ass. My elderly mother uses this car as primary for driver Dad and herself to doctor's appointments etc. As savvy as Mom is about stuff, her hands are so fragile that the act of lifting the hood ( heavy for my Mom) and then trying to twist the oil cap off, harder still, and what about the plastic cover? If she has to add oil she will have to use a funnel..more fine-motor-skill which is hard on her hands; she is not strong enough to remove the plastic cover so access to the oil fill-hole is difficult which is why she is forced to use a funnel. The local three Toyota service departments are pleading ignorance to the second warranty fix.

- Quentin D., Jemison, US

Oct 092017

Prius

I haven't even paid this car off and now they tell me I need a new engine?! The service techs at the dealer where I bought it were very nice and apologetic but "there's nothing we can do. It happens sometimes." WTF?!

My extended warranty expired at 100k - I am now at 109k. I invested in a Toyota as opposed to a cheaper vehicle so that I could drive it for 200k. Now I have to replace the engine or the car... or check the oil every time I stop for gas.

Will never buy another Toyota. If I want a car to need a new engine at 100K, I'll buy something much cheaper next time.

- Mari D., Arvada, CO, US

Aug 012015

Prius

Bought certified used 2010 Prius with 1warranty and 800.00 bumper to bumper additional warranty with 55 k on it at purchase.

Changed oil at dealership per recommendation. Orange light came on and dealership said I was down 3 1/2 quarts. Never told my my oil was low on visits so I didn't worry about it. Its a Toyota, right? Using a quart to 1000 miles at 105 k when problem discovered. Dealership and Toyota warranty said it was normal and refused to pay. Offered to tear down engine AT MY EXPENSE if the problem wasn't a warranty issue. At 130 k started making major engine noise at start up. Now its blowing oil and using a quart per 400 miles and looks like the engine will need major/ repair or replace at 150k. This is a joke.

- Eric S., Pottstown, USA

Mar 032017

Prius

Noticed that the engine oil light was coming on as I took sharp turns. So checked the oil. Down 2 quarts. Brought it in to dealer . They ran test on it and said it was common for Prius to use as much as a qt. of oil every 600 miles. I hit the roof!!!. They pointed out that it is in their manual. They are correct.The solution they gave me was to replace the engine. Ended up having to check the oil and add on a continual basis. Took a long trip with the car. The vehicle died on me at the farthest point (of course). Had to have the vehicle towed back at a cost of over $600. Took the car to my mechanic. Found out the intake manifold was almost completely blocked with carbon deposits from the burned excessive oil residue being recirculated back through the egr valve then into the engine. I have corresponded with Toyota but since I am not a resident of the 8 states that have filed an injunction against them requiring Toyota to extend the mileage warranty for this issue I 'm out of luck. Getting rid of the car this Spring

- Paul H., Evansville, US

Jan 102015

Prius IV 1.8L

2010 Prius IV purchased new at Toyota Dealer. Majority of services done at Toyota Dealer with exception of some oil changes. At 110,021 mi. I brought car into to Toyota Dealer re: Rattle Noise on Acceleration from complete stop and display shows, "CHECK OIL PRESSURE".

Toyota Service advised rattle noise was because my vehicle was low on oil. I informed the service writer, I've been keeping up on my oil changes. He advised to start changing oil every 5000 miles rather than the 10,000 miles I was initially instructed since it uses full synthetic oil.

At that point I started to monitor the oil consumption. I noticed my oil was low at approximately 112,000 miles. So I added a quart since my next oil change was not due yet. My next oil change was at 115,381 miles.

So I called Toyota Customer Care whom advised there were no recalls at this time. At 156,948 miles I passed the Over Consumption Oil test. Where I was informed the Prius is only burning 1/2 qt every 1100 miles which was normal, since Toyota claims it is normal to burn 1qt every 500 miles. I called Toyota Customer Care and was informed there are no recalls and not enough complaints regarding the model year. So I am forced to monitor and add oil between oil changes.

Note: My 2001 Mitsubishi Galant does not burn oil and it's a daily driver!

- 2010priusiv, Ca, US

Nov 282017

Prius 1.8L

For some reason my oil is being consumed very fast. I has needed another oil change after another 3 months from the previous oil change. My mileage was 120,885 3 months ago and now I'm needing another oil change at mileage 125,515. THATS ONLY 3 MONTHS APART AND 5,000 MILES APART. SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!! THAT'S FROM SEPTEMBER TO NOVEMBER 2017. OIL CHANGES ARE BETWEEN EVERY 6 MONTHS OR 10,000 MILES

I had scheduled oil appointment due to stating on dash board for oil maintenance required. They told me I didnt need an oil change since I was just there 3 months ago. They informed that it's every 6 months or every 10,000 miles. THEY DID NOT CHECK MY OIL, IF SO, THEY WOULD OF REALIZED IT NEEDED MAINTENANCE. I informed them that I'll be driving to Florida to go on a cruise that same week. They said to request one when I returned. Needless to say my wife and I missed our cruise due to our car braking down due to LOW OIL PRESSURE!!!! NOW A MONTH LATER AFTER DECEMBER I'M NEEDING ANOTHER OIL CHANGE.

- John S., Herrin, US

Jan 222018

Prius 1.8L

JUST A MONTH AGO IN DECEMBER MY CAR BROKE DOWN IN FLORIDA DUE TO LOW OIL PRESSURE. MY WIFE AND I MISSED OUR CRUISE. WE HAD GOTTEN AN OIL CHANGE IN FLORIDA AND CAME BACK HOME VERY UPSET AND FRUSTRATED. ONE MONTH LATER AFTER AN OIL CHANGE AND 5,000 MILES, NOW JANUARY 2018 I'M NEEDING ANOTHER OIL CHANGE.

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A RECALL ON THIS ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!

- John S., Herrin, US

May 012017

Prius

I have been going back and forth with Toyota for the last year regarding excessive oil consumption on my 2010 Prius. I initially reported the problem while my vehicle was under its 100,000 mile certification warranty coverage. They ran an oil consumption test and told me that they found that the car did not consume extra oil. (Paperwork showed it was filled with 5 quarts, the car does not require 5 quarts, therefore I am assuming it was overfilled in order to pass the test). I then stated to the dealership that I disagreed with the findings due to the fact that I was constantly having to add quarts of oil between oil changes. They told me to call the corporate customer service number and open a case which I did and if the problem continued it and they found out what was causing it, the repairs would be covered under the certification warranty coverage because I had reported it before the coverage had ran out. After more than one attempt, I could not get anyone from the corporate customer service number to call me back so I gave up and continued to notify the dealer every time the vehicle was in for routine service. I repeatedly told the dealership that the car was still using excessive oil and not throwing any type of oil light until there was nothing left on the dipstick and even at that, the only inidication we ever receive from the vehicle is a 2 second flash on the dashboard that says low oil pressure when take a sharp turn or quick stop, other than they there is no indication the vehicle it out of oil. They continued to tell me that they didn’t see anything wrong and the mechanics never reported that the oil was low during oil changes. Fast forward until around March or April of this year when I had the dealer replace a rear bearing and complete the usual oil change during a visit… within a week or so later there was an issue with my intake manifold. They then replaced the manifold and within the next few days I was completely out of oil. (They stated it was down over 3.5 quarts) I immediately brought the car right back to them, they said there was no way since they had literally just done the oil change. They finally ran another oil consumption test and found it to definitely fail the test. They stated that they would send the findings over the warranty department asking that the “short block” be replaced under the warranty coverage (due to faulty pistons and such). For almost the next 2 months I continually went back and forth with them they kept saying they were waiting for an answer and had not heard back from the warranty department. So after about 6 weeks I was finally told by them that the warranty department cannot do anything because they (the dealership) never opened an initial call with them when the car was under the certification coverage to report the excessive oil consumption problem. My service adviser at the dealership then told me to contact Toyota's corporate customer service number again which I did. They apologized for the year long run around I had been given from the dealership. They told me they would escalate the issue to the customer relations manager at the dealership, since I was not getting anywhere with the service department, they had asked for them to make the repair under the warranty cover or at the dealerships cost. The dealership then responded that they were not willing to assist in any way with the repair. The customer service manager proceeded to tell me that there was nothing he could do since the warranty call was never opened (by the dealership) when I initially reported the problem. He also continued to tell me that he has owned a hybrid and they use lots of oil, its normal. That I should just keep adding oil on my own. I asked for a quote to do the repair and he told me that he did not have one but I would be looking at $2000 for them to even start looking at the engine to try and find the problem. He also stated that there was no records of me reporting to problem so I was pretty much stuck with it, even though the corporate number could see all of my service records which indicated that I have reported the problem since May of last year. I then called back the corporate customer service number since I was initially told they could escalate it again if the response I received was unacceptable. When I did call back, the representative I had been working with was unavailable, so I left a message for her with the case number and everything. She returned my call 4 days later and left a message so I called back and said I was returning her call, I was told she was unavailable and that she had left a note in the record that she did not know why I was calling. That rep then proceeded to tell me that he didn’t understand why the dealership had told me to call them in the first place there is nothing they can do. He stated he could see on the records that the dealership responded saying they admit that there is a problem with excessive oil consumption but they will not be providing any type of help because the problem is no longer under coverage. He also stated that they are just the manufacturer they cannot control what their dealerships do, they cannot make them do anything if they choose not to. I asked to speak to his manager so I could find out what my other options were and he refused to give me to anyone. He said my problems are with the dealership there is nothing they can do to help me. After all this running in circles and wasted hours of time I am now stuck with a vehicle that clearly has an excessive oil consumption problem with absolutely no help at the dealership or from the manufacturer.

- Angela D., Milford, NH, US

Feb 112016

Prius Hybrid 1.8L

I BOUGHT MY 2010 TOYOTA PRIUS 4 USED IN 2014 WITH 56000 MILES ON IT. I HAD THE OIL CHANGED BY A LOCAL TOYOTA DEALERSHIP EVERY 5000 MILES EVEN THOUGH THEY SAID IT COULD GO TO 10000 BEFORE CHANGING.

AT ABOUT 100000 MILES THE DEALERSHIP TELLS ME AFTER CHANGING MY OIL THAT IT WAS LOW SO I STARTED CHECKING IT EVERY 500 MILES.

FOUND OUT IT WAS USING A QUART EVERY 1000 MILES SO I COMPLAINED TO THE DEALERSHIP ABOUT IT AND THEY SAID OH THAT IS NORMAL FOR THESE CARS ( THE PRIUS )

I DID SOME ONLINE RESEARCH AND FOUND THAT THERE ARE MANY MANY OTHER PRIUS OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM THAT ARE BEING TOLD THE SAME THING. THIS IS NOT NORMAL!!!

BY WHAT I HAVE READ TOYOTA INSTALLED SOME BAD PISTON RINGS ON SOME MODELS WITH THE 1.8L ENGINES AND PROBABLY OTHERS BECAUSE CERTAIN CAMRYS ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM.

- ridgely, White Pine, US

Nov 012017

Prius 2zr-Fxe 1.8L I4

I bought the car used at 2013. I do a lot of the maintenance myself and I follow the manual to the dot. I am technical and the maintenance isn't really a big issue for me. Last night, about 6,000 miles after my last oil change (0W-20 Full Synth), I noticed the car threw out a "Low Engine Oil Pressure" warning. This only happened when I brake. I checked the oil dip stick, and it read nothing! Zip! I had to add 2.5 quarts of oil to get it to read again. I am afraid that the seals are leaking at 146,000 miles.

I thought that this would happen to me, but Toyota, your 2ZR-FXE needs fixing!

- Jason Z., Azusa, US

Dec 022017

Prius II 1.8L

I bought a certified used 2010 Prius from a Toyota dealer in April, 2013. The car has been doing well until last few weeks. When I turn a sharp corner, a short beep short and the yellow warning light on my dashboard will flash. It went off so fast and I could read the words. It keeps on happen so after a couple weeks, I decided to go to pay a visit to my dealer. Without even opening the hook, the service adviser told me that my engine is burning oil. He needs to add 3.8 quart of engine oil, despite the fact that it was only 800 miles after my last service at the same dealer.

I asked for a quote to repair it. He quoted $4,950 because they need to rebuild the engine. I asked him about the trade in value and he said it is $0 because of the engine problem. Obviously there is no way I am going to spend so much money on a 7 years old car.

This is my third Toyota and never have this problem. I now realized Toyota car is not as reliable as I thought so I probably will go buy a new Honda in the next few weeks.

- acmchan, Overland Park, US

Jan 102017

Prius

HAVE TO ADD OIL ABOUT EVERY 1,100 MILE. EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION. NOT A GOOD SITUATION.

- Allen J., Naperville, US

Oct 102015

Prius 4

I'm not an auto geek or a computer geek so this has gone on for several years till it "clicked" that I have a problem with my Prius. I thought only 1964 Chevy's burned oil. It never dawned on me that my relatively new Toyota might be doing this. But, for a long time the "Low Engine Oil" message started coming on when I turned corners. I would get the oil changed (always on time and at the dealership) and it would go away. Then, in the last 10,000 miles or so, I checked the oil, found it low, put in one quart, then another, then another in order to get it to register. I was amazed. It's not leaking. It has to be going somewhere else. Some place it's not supposed to be going. My next step is to talk to the dealership or yell at them.

- Stan E., Albuquerque, US