5.4

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

May 302019

Prius

I have a 2016 Prius with approximately 20,000 miles that was pursued new from the dealership in Nov 2016. At around 10:30am, I was two blocks from home, driving on a residential street (25mph) and decelerated to approx 10mph as I approached a red stoplight at the oncoming intersection. Cross traffic was moving but there were no other cars in the lanes left or right of me and/or approaching my car. I heard a very faint click/popping sound coming from the upper right upside of the windshield and immediately pulled over to examine the glass. I found a very small star shaped ding, less than a millimetre wide about 3-4 inches from the top right of the windshield. I then called my insurance agent who stated a small ding like that could definitely be fixed by a glass shop and would be covered in full by allstate. I decided to just go back home and look online for somewhere nearby I could take in my car. I drove back, parked my car back into my underground temperature controlled space. I wasnT able to get a same day appointment so stayed in until 5:30pm when I left to go to dinner. I was shocked to see that the small ding was now a large diagonal crack from the upper left corner, to just past midpoint of the windshield. Because of the crack, the windshield can not be fixed. I was told that replacement and recalibration will cost approx just under $1000, which I will end up paying out of pocket because my insurance deductible is $1000. Has now been 8 days since the initial ding and the crack has continued to elongate. It is now 2/3 of the length of the windshield. I have owned eight Toyota vehicles, three of which have been new priuses. This is the first and only car where anything like this has ever happened. It appears that many other 2015-2016 Prius owners have experienced similar problems with their windshields too. Toyota must address this safety issue,

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Mar 012019

Prius

With no impact whatsoever, and the car parked and stationary for more than 15 hours, I woke up this morning to find a crack in the front windshield. This crack is in the lower, middle section of the front windshield, generating up from the base of the windshield, and veering towards the left. There is absolutely no feeling of an impact (I.e. scratch, dent, ping, etc.) on either the outside of the windshield or the inside of the windshield - it appears that the crack is embedded in the glass itself. I have contacted my local Toyota dealer and will be bringing it in for their inspection this week. However, in my online research, it seems that there have been a number of 2016 Toyota Prius' that have had this mysterious front windshield crack occur - enough to make me wonder if there is something wrong with the factory-provided windshield, and that would possibly warrant a recall. Thank you for your consideration.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 032018

Prius

There is something wrong with the windshield design of the car. I had debris or road gravel hitting the windshield twice in last 2 months and got a crack on windshield in 2 occasions. I was driving car at 65 mph on highway in both instances. I also realize a flaw with wiper design that the wipers do no clear the full wind shield. This reduces visibility specially winter when there is lot of salt and snow on roads.

- Rocky Hill, CT, USA

Nov 052018

Prius

The windshield on my 2016 Toyota Prius cracked for no reason. I parked my Prius in a covered parking garage. When I returned to my car later, there was a large crack in the windshield (over a foot long), and the crack curved down to the bottom of the windshield. I donT know what caused the windshield to crack all of a sudden. There were no signs of debris or impact. I believe the windshield maybe defective or was set on my car improperly in the factory, which caused stress on the windshield which led to the large crack.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Sep 032018

Prius

In motion on a highway. Windshield got hit by a "rock" and had a small star. Within days it has grown to cover the entire windshield in several different patterns. Windshield is total loss and needs to be replaced.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Aug 312018

Prius

My windshield had a very minor chip which resulting in a crack across the windshield. This seems to be an disproportionate damage to the windshield suggesting a structural design defect.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Aug 242018

Prius

While driving from tucson to phoenix on us route 10 at around 65 mph on the way to southern California on August 24, 2018, in 100 degree F. heat, a crack began in the lower drivers side of the windshield and was a foot long within seconds. By the time I reached home at 5:00pm, the crack had grown horizontally to more than two feet in length. I have avoided washing the windshield with cold water, or at all, and if the crack has lengthened further in the more moderate temperatures, I have not noticed. There is no obvious sign of a rock impact. When the sun is a the wrong angle, there is a distractingly bright glare from the crack.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jul 182018

Prius

Owner of a 2016 Toyota Prius 3 with advanced technology package: I'll preface this that I'm satisfied with most/if not all other aspects of the Prius (except entune...). however, it seems there is a definite issue with windshields cracking. I was driving on the freeway at the start of roadtrip when I heard and barely saw a rock/pebble hit lower left drivers side section of the windshield. I instantly saw 1-2 inch diameter crack/chip appear. Over the next few hours I saw it grow and expand. Reading up on this it seems I'm not only one who's experiencing this issue. I don't know if its just the design or glass is under some higher stress. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the cameras and sensors, one has to go to Toyota service anyway to get the camera recalibrated. Oem glass does not appear to be cheap either!

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jun 282018

Prius

Small rock chip caused windshield to crack all the way through across the entire windshield. Ive been driving since I was 17 and never have had a windshield crack from a small rock chip, even the shop said he has seen a lot of this generation Prius coming in for replacements. Toyota has made a sub par windshield that isnT able to withstand anything. This glass is thin, and very unsafe. Now my windshield is cracked all the way across imparing my visibility.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Jun 032018

Prius

While driving, with no other vehicle within 100 yards, an approximately 12 inch long crack appeared from the lower passenger side windshield. I did not have the radio on and did not hear or see anything strike the windshield. When I arrived at my destination I inspected the crack and saw no chip or other evidence that something struck the windshield. After a few hours I came back to leave and noticed that the crack had grown even longer. I assume from being parked in direct sunlight, although it was only about 80F degrees. I have always been proud of Toyota's durability and have owned everything from the Prius to the Tundra. I've even gotten many of my friends and family members to switch to Toyota. I now have to wonder if Toyota has started to "cheap out" like many other manufacturers. I am especially disappointed at the fact that this appears to be a "fit and finish" defect. Either the windshield must be cheap and thin, or the quality of workmanship must be lacking. A quick google search revealed that this is a disproportionately common problem with the new 4th gen Toyota Prius and that the windshield has been back ordered. To add insult to injury, the new Toyota safety sense sensors must be re-calibrated with the replacement windshield, which can add up to $500 to the total cost of repair! I cannot recommend the new 4th gen Prius if it comes with such a defective windshield. This is certainly a safety issue and is a very expensive repair. I wish I knew about this problem before buying!

- Selma, IN, USA

Apr 022018

Prius

Windshield has cracked in drive way for no reason. Now has spider webbed across windshield obstructing my view. Called to repair and found out many people are reporting the same problem. Even after they fix and replace new windshield I=its cracking again. New windshield is $600plus install and re calibration im looking at $1300. Please help us customers because windshield is defective!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 152018

Prius

Small rock hit windshield on passenger side while driving on I 25 interstate from rio rancho towards Santa Fe....overnight crack developed and spread 6 inches or so...subsequently crack quickly spread across center of windshield to drivers side.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Feb 092018

Prius

While at highway speeds I was struck by a rock. Windshield cracked. Had to have it replaced. Costly and now I am told it will cost another $400+ to have it calibrated. I am now reading that the Prius is prone to windshield breaks and the cost of recalibration is both expensive and the dealers don't like doing it so the time to get it done is excessive. I now worry if safety features are compromised and it is dangerous to drive.

- Arcata, CA, USA

Feb 032018

Prius

Windshield cracked while driving down the highway

- Sedgwick, KS, USA

Dec 202017

Prius

I had previous problems when I first bought my Prius where I received 2 cracks on my windshield within a week of owning the car. I never heard a rock hit my car. I reported it here and Toyota called me to replace my windshield so they could keep my old one for quality control. I was fine with this but just today I go out to my car and see a 6 inch crack that started from the bottom of the windshield that wasn't there before and I didn't hear a rock hit it either. I feel like my Prius windshield problems will never ever end

- Swanton, VT, USA

Dec 012017

Prius

A small chip in front windshield and develop a large crack quickly

- Santa Clara, CA, USA

Sep 242017

Prius

Vehicle was stationary sitting in driveway. First crack started and continues to spread. Second crack started 3 weeks after the first. Windshield replacement supposedly on backorder. The car is typically parked in a parking garage during the workweek and either in my driveway or garage. The car is not even 2 years old. To replace windshield also means having to recalibrate for side and back up mirrors to function properly which is just as costly as having to pay for the windshield.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 282017

Prius

While in motion on a highway at 65 mph the driver's side front window shattered. Most of the pieces of the glass fell onto the driver's lap, but pieces also landed on the passenger's side and in the back seat behind the driver. It is unknown why the glass shattered. No object was found in the car that could have shattered it.

- Leland, MS, USA

Oct 052017

Prius

I had very small windshield crack while I was driving on 10 frwy covina ca, I didn't notice anything hit my windshield was very hot day just heard ting and I shaw crack but within a day was very long about 2ft crack.I took longo Toyota at el-monte they said it don't cover by dealer or Toyota company so they give me $1265 est. Cost to fix it.it was my 2016 Toyota Prius miles 17K only and under factory warranty another problem with 2016 Prius is body color popup so easy it just comeup so so easy look like they just paint so easy... I have so bad experience with Prius car feel like I just wast my 30K for just piece of sh*t

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jun 122017

Prius

I had a very small pebble hit my windshield while driving slowly on a residential street. The initial impact caused several significant cracks running lengthwise and widthwise across my windshield instead of just staring or pitting as traditionally occurs. This is my third Prius and I have never experienced a windshield responding this way. It appears online that this has become a very common problem and it is extremely costly since they currently do not have an aftermarket available. As well as requiring $600+ recalibration. I am extremely disappointed in Toyota. I am concerned that I am going to pay $1500 to get this fixed (since my insurance uses my deductable) only for it to break again due to a minor instance (as many have complained online). My understanding is that the new windshield is thinner/ lighter for mpg. Is this not covered on some sort of warranty or recall? I'm very upset that this has occurred and have always been extremely loyal to Toyota, im at a point where I just want to drive with it cracked to avid having to fix future cracked windshields.

- Tacoma, WA, USA