7.2

Most common solutions:

2. replace windshield (3 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Toyota Prius:

Jun 012017

Prius

A tiny pebble flipped up and hit the left edge of the windshield, starting a crack that slowly advanced rightward across the windshield. I was told there are no after-market windshields for this car and had to pay $900 to replace it. Seemed strange, but now less than three months later, it has happened again. I will be filing a second complaint about this next.

- , Fair Oaks, US

Aug 242017

Prius

Without any known object striking it my two-month old windshield developed a crack, noted in the morning when I got in my car. I have not been driving on gravel roads.

The crack is exactly in the same place and exactly the same shape as the crack two months ago.That one cost $900 to replace, so I haven't yet replaced this windshield.

Very interestingly, a friend who was meeting me in a parking lot walked up to another car identical to mine, thinking it was mine, but it was someone else's, and that car had an identical crack on its windshield too. It's clear there is some severe design or manufacturing defect on these windshields. I can't afford to buy a new one every 2-3 months.

- , Fair Oaks, US

Jun 212017

click to see larger images

winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily

I bought this car used, drove about 1K, and then a very tiny pebble hit it to start crack about half inch, but after that, about 2 inches per day getting worse. Toyota should recall the part. Thx

- , Allen, TX, US

Aug 082017

winshield cracks easily

A small rock hit the windshield causing a crack not more than the size of a quarter. Thought we could get it filled in, but then overnight it spread into a long crack across the windshield. I believe the window is too thin and lightweight. Side window had a crack from a rock too. This is too much. Think a design flaw was made here.

- , San Francisco, US

Jun 122017

Prius 2 Hybrid

click to see larger images

winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily

Our 2016 Prius 2 sedan windshield was struck by a small rock cast laterally across the freeway from several lanes to my right, as one would skip a stone across water, traveling about 55mph. unforeseeable, unavoidable act of chance, kicked up by another car's tire. Initial damage (see photo series) was two unsightly but repairable craters in the outer layer of glass. Within minutes / before an epoxy repair was possible, two cracks grew at an alarming rate. A smaller crack went vertically, and a fast and large crack ran horizontally. Within a day it spanned the entire driver’s side. The crack reflects and refracts light into the driver’s eyes, and is thick enough to obstruct vision even in dim light. Our primary travel is east in the morning and west at night, so the obstruction of vision is an active danger as we are typically oriented on the sun.

I was advised by three different glass services that not only is there no aftermarket windshield available, but that there was an unknown wait time to receive one from the only available source, Toyota. There is no integrated technology and I was quoted replacement costs of $800-$900, not covered by insurance.

I have reviewed the forums, nhtsa site, and a prominent complaint site, and excessive cracking appears to be a frequent flaw, both from debris impacts and when owners report "spontaneous" cracking. Our glass shops stated they saw this problem more frequently on toyotas than on any other car. Given the cost and frequency this problem is reported, I am hesitant to replace the windshield until I get a reasonable response from the dealer, as it otherwise seems likely to recur. This is not a one-off problem. Dealer won't return calls. Glass service still has no ETA on replacements.

We would like to understand why this problem is so common. Is it a design flaw? manufacturing defect? maybe its an inevitable consequence of airflow on an aerodynamic vehicle? whichever it is, people should know it's a risk. If the windshields are this weak and prone to failure, we aren't really coming out ahead with a fuel efficient vehicle... I'd rather have a bow wake and lose a couple MPGs, and have a safe vehicle. :(

- , Smyrna, US

Aug 172016

Prius 4D HA Hybrid

Windshield cracked for the second time. Never heard the rock hit but found the point of impact the next day. Crack was horizontal across 2/3rds of my windshield.

Apr 282016

Prius 4D HA Hybrid

A Small pebble hit my windsheild, you could barely hear it hit and cracked it. Safelight fixed it.

Jul 062017

click to see larger images

winshield cracks easily winshield cracks easily

My windshield cracked for the fourth time. Never heard the rock hit. I have to replace this glass now with 3 big cracks. I've been afraid to replace it. Glad I didn't after the second crack. I could have put 3 windshields in this car and it only has 16,900 miles. There is a real design flaw in the shape of the glass or toyota made the windshield too thin to save weight for the hybrid. These windshields cost $1300 to buy outright and nobody makes an aftermarket that I can locate.

Jun 062017

Prius 4D HA Hybrid

Same windshield cracked for a third time. Heard the rock hit this time. I even saw it hit, just a small pebble. I was driving 55mph in the far right lane to avoid traffic.

Aug 112016

Prius

My windshield is constantly getting hit with pebbles and now have three cracks in the windshield. I afraid to get it replaced because it would be a waste of money with it constantly being hit with pebbles. I don't know if it is a design fault or what is the problem? This is my first Prius and really like the car except for this.

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Mar 032017

Prius

After I have my new Prius for two month, I was hit by a small tiny stone to the front window, then it started crack. I went to the Toyota then they said I need to pay 200$ retest of the cost will be covered by insurance.

After two month with new window, it was hit by small stone again, I can't avoid small stone in the highway. It start crack again. Then I went to dealer to talk with them. They said if the stone was hitting edge of the window then the crack will happen easily. They suggested for me to change my window after winter. Therefore, I was waiting for May to come. Two weeks ago, I noted there was another crack starting happen with my window. I strongly believe they have a big issue with there design. Because in Sweden, there will be always small stone in the highway flying around.

I had BMW before, and when I hit by stone nothing happened.

This problem need to be reported and get attentions from Toyota.

- , SOLNA, Sweden

Mar 012016

Prius

I bought the car brand new and within a week of purchase,I had huge cracks going over the entire windshield and I immediately took it to the dealer I bought it from and they claimed that it was a rock that hit it but I never heard any rock hitting the windshield when I was driving it. I reported it to Toyota and they did nothing about it. I will never buy a Prius ever again

- , San Antonio, TX, US

Mar 152017

Prius 2 ECO

winshield cracks easily

Had the car for just about a year. It appears that a pebble may have hit the windshield, I can't be sure, though it may have also been a thermal issue. In any case, I noticed a small crack - long and thin, not circular like a stone - which increasingly got bigger literally every day of driving. After only a few weeks the crack is about 10-11 inches long.

This is completely and utterly unacceptable to me. A large stone hitting it and making a big circular crack that eventually spiders out? Yes, that's just bad luck. But this is clearly poor glass. There is no acceptable reason this crack should have started and it certainly shouldn't be getting half an inch larger nearly every day. This was quoted as a $900 repair at minimum and I have no faith based on other similar complaints found elsewhere on the internet that I won't have the same problem again.

I called the dealer and they informed me that this would not be covered under warranty in any case, but I will continue to report it to them and to Toyota until this gets properly addressed. I have been a loyal Toyota customer for 15 years, now on my 4th Prius, but if they don't back up the quality of every part of their vehicle - especially one which this level of expense - then my next car will not be one from Toyota.

- , Thorndale, PA, US

Jun 082016

Prius 4 Touring

• CVT transmission

One very small pebble hit the windshield showing no damage until the next day...2 ft long crack that separates. Cheap glass that's expensive to replace. Toyota should recall theses windshields.

- , Cedar Park, TX, US

Jul 012016

Prius 4 Touring

Bought the car in April. Within 2 weeks a pebble on the road hit the windshield resulting in a fast spreading crack. Because it's an OEM part it took several weeks to get a new windshield in to replace it. That was early May. By the end of May, a second tiny bit of road debris hit the windshield resulting in the same problem, fast spreading crack and long wait for new windshield. That windshield was replaced on June 29. On July 1, same thing again, tiny impact and fast spreading crack. My old 2010 Prius had these kind of pebble impacts all the time, never replaced a windshield - this is not just bad luck, this is poor quality glass

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA