7.8

$2,040

Most common solutions:

2. added oil (42 reports)
  3. rebuild engine (19 reports)
  4. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (17 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (7 reports)
  6. have to replace vvti line (4 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Toyota dealer.

Jul 022019

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

Just checking oil level every 5 days, 1/2 quart. Anyway I'm expecting to buy another one brand new next year.

- juanlimon, Los Angeles, US

Nov 302015

RAV4 Sport V6

I purchased my Toyota Rav4, and the following month, my oil was low, and needed to be replaced. So, all this time I continue to pour oil, and continued to check my dipstick frequently, so that I would not burn the engine. I continue to take my truck for periodic oil changes, and in between would put oil. this was a nuisance, and thought this was unusual, but never was told by anyone about the oil EXCESSIVE consumption problem, with Toyota trucks. I finally took it to a different mechanic, and said well lets try a heavier oil maybe that would solve the problem, But, it continued. So, I tried a different mechanic, and said this was not usual and it would need to be fixed, and cost approx $1500 to $2,000. I called the Toyota Factory, and spoke to Frank T., and said this was not a RECALL, but an extended warranty problem, but it was expired. They would not help me. He said if I had taken the vehicle to Toyota Dealership for service, and told them about the problem they might have helped, I told him not everyone can afford to have their car serviced at a Toyota dealership, and I was not aware of the problem with Toyota's. So, basically I have to fix the problem, and pay for it myself.

- Leticia T., Huntingtn Bch, US

Mar 252019

RAV4

I bought this for my daughter as a high school grad gift for collage. I love Toyota and know they have a great reputation and have owned many. i knew even though this was a 2007 it would get her safely thru school. She called me from the side of the freeway with flames coming out .... blew up engine due to no oil. We change the oil every 3k and have never been told it burns oil, never had any on the ground. I trusted the Toyota brand and have been so let down. I am a single mom and now I'm out 6k with out the cost of repairs. So disappointed in Toyota brand... I thought they were better than this.

- Dawn T., North Branch, MN, US

Jan 012017

RAV4 Sport 2.4L

Last oil change interval was about 2,100 miles. It took four quarts and retrieve only two of used oil.

- Ed Daniel R., San Juan, Puerto Rico

Sep 122018

RAV4 4 cyl

September 12, 2018 at oil change, oil did not register on dip stick. It was over 3 quarts low. Oil is changed every 3000 miles, not had this excessive loss before. Use Full Synthetic MaxLife Valvoline OW20 API SN. At oil change, changed filter and oil, and have checked weekly from 9/12/18-10/25/18.

Results:

112,658 mileage at oil change 9/12/18

114,900 mileage 10/25/18 most recently checked

I have added 3.2 quarts of oil in approximately 2000 miles of driving.

On 9/29/18, Toyota admitted to me the engine was defective (was a problem with the way the piston rings work). This causes excessive oil burning. The extended warranty was 10 years/I believe 120,000 miles. The car is passed that in years, not miles. Toyota Direct in Columbus offered to fix the problem for approximately $3000.

- Charles S., Westerville, US

Oct 182018

RAV4

I had known that my Rav was using oil, but being single had not paid much attention to how much till recently. In July I had an oil change and went out of town. When I got back didn't think about checking it until first of October. I was almost 4 quarts low with no oil light coming on!! I was so lucky as to not have seized the engine (use to have a boyfriend who took care of this stuff). Then I started checking weekly. I just checked and it used 1/2 quart in 276 miles! I tried to see if there were recalls on this but couldn't find anything. Then I found this site and there are 154 complaints regarding this issue! This is unreal. My vehicle only has 138,000 miles on it but looks like I need to plan on getting rid of it before I wind up having major problems. Shame on you Toyota, I thought you were better than this!!

- Jackie L., Poplar Bluff, US

Aug 012017

RAV4 Sport 3.2L V6

Toyota knows the issue and they should send out a recall to fix this issue years ago.

- Michael Vuong C., Flower Mound, TX, US

Aug 132018

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

Since I bought this 07 Rav4 I have been down oil, seems it loves to burn oil and I have never had a vehicle burn 2 quarts of oil at a time and this is before it is due for an oil change. I had just taken a trip and checked it and would not even drive for fear it would run out of oil and burn up my engine. I never had to check oil as much as I do this Rav4

- Debra K., Springfield, US

May 152016

RAV4

Bought the car used 5/4/16 and just read title 118k miles. One owner. Got oil change Goodyear said watch your oil level. It is low. SO I started watching. At first I added 2 qts. between oil changes. This car had 2 recalls. One suspension, rear seatbelts I took in to Toyota Dec. 2017 to fix 2 recalls and told them my car is burning oil like crazy now. They informed me of the warranty enhancement. I was past deadline by months.(expired 5/30/17) or 150k miles. I was not notified even though the notices went out from (per recorded Toyota conversation 12/204 thru 5/30/17. I was informed if I had my service at Toyota they would have told me. I called Toyota and spoke with call center and then to supervisor saying I was never notified. They informed me (AND I SCREEN SHOT THE WHOLE CONVERSATION ON MY CLOSED CAPTIONED PHONE...(I have severe hearing loss) SO I HAVE WHOLE CONVERSATION) that they were not obligated legally to notify me. I was 7 months past expired and under 150k.

- Anita W., Memphis, US

Apr 012016

RAV4 Limited 4

I have always taken care of all my car with regular maintenance and oil change every 3,000 miles. What a PITA now when I have to constantly get looking at my oil light and asking the gas station to check my oil. I need this problem fixed.

- Alicia G., Fair Lawn, NJ, US

Jul 152015

RAV4 2.4L 4-cyl

Took to dealer when I had to add 2 qts. between oil change. Dealer performed oil consumption test and pronounced it acceptable. It now uses 1 qt every 400 miles!!

- Linda E., Gualala, US

Mar 012018

RAV4 4 cyl

I have had 4 toyotas - this is unbelievabe! I am adding 1 1/4 qts of oil for every 1200 miles- toyota needs to FIX this on these they know it is a problem!!

- Lisa W., Palisade, CO, US

Mar 012018

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

My 2007 Rav4 was consuming a lot of oil 2 yrs after i bought it. The oil light would come on and when i would go to a garage it was always bone dry. I would always have to check the oil. Then i had a new gasket cover installed along with an oil change. That was 3 months ago. Now, the oil light came on again and it was bone dry. I am going to call the dealer and ask them if they have any idea why this is going on and if they are aware of all the complaints. I did see online where the problem lies with defective Piston Rings. So, I will get on that now.

- Millie S., Westminster, MA, US

Nov 062017

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I have liked my 2007 RAV4 Toyota until this problem. Other than the paint on the wheels bubbling and peeling, which I felt was rather minor, I was very satisfied with my vehicle until I starting noticing the check engine oil light coming on just a couple of months after an oil change. At first I thought maybe the oil was not topped off after the oil change. But, after this happened the first time, I checked the oil level which was good. Then this next time the check engine oil light came on again before I had put on 2000 miles. I talked to my brother-in-law about it and he checked a website and saw this was a common problem that Toyota refuses to recognize. Now I am hesitant on purchasing another Toyota. I have since found others that own older models of the Toyota Camry having the same problem which indicates to me that this has been an ongoing problem that Toyota has yet to fix.

- Marge P., Middleburg Hts, US

Jul 032017

RAV4 Sport

I bought this car in July of 2017. I have to check the oil every week. It is very annoying. I want to know why this car uses so much oil. I have to drive around with bottles of oil in my car & worry that I am going to run out of oil. I don't think I would ever buy a Toyota again.

- Grace M., Plainview, US

Dec 122017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I purchased this used auto from Best Auto Mart, Dec. 12, 2017. It was a one owner with a clean Car Fax 129,000 miles. On arrival to my home via tow truck drop off from the dealer. I got into the auto to drive to an inspection center so that I could register etc. I drove the car for 15 minutes and the engine light came on, oil light, ems. etc.

I pulled over called the dealer and a tow and sent the auto back. The dealer stated he would repair the issues including the cruise control. The auto was once again returned to me by tow. I get the car take it for inspection and it passed. However, later the oil light comes on. I take it to a oil change facility and low and behold NO OIL in the engine, just a drop before the engine would have blown.

So I call the dealer again. He stated; I refuse to fix another thing on that car. My 30 days warranty is not up. So I call again and a man stated he was out of the country and I would have to wait till he came back. Guess what? He is back and is still not answering my calls.

Now I call Toyota because I had them check the car and they told me it had call backs on this model and year some they could do and I would have to call Toyota to get permission for the call back on the oil consumption problem. Now Toyota spokespersons. CEO's or supervisors stated it should have been done by the last owner and they will not repair it now.

Now I have a 5 year payment for a car I can't drive unless I keep putting oil in it every 350 miles. It is $8.00 a quart. I am so disappointed and mechanics tell me it was a recall and the Toyota CEO says its not.

I am elderly and handicapped on a limited social security as well as single. So tell me what to do. I am so upset and Toyota should fix the problem because they knew it was a problem and still is in the 2007 limited Rav4s. Now someone told me the other day to call the state police for safety as it may be an issue..

Good God what do I do? Any advice anyone? The dealer should take the car back or Toyota should fix the problem? Someone pleas help me. Oh yes and I called Toyota again and they explained there is another call back on this car, it never ends.

- Roseann Z., Revere, MA, US

Feb 082017

RAV4 Limited 2.5L

Noticed more than average oil use in my 2007 Toyota RAV4. Oil consumption is about 3 to 4 quarts between oil changes. Took the car to Toyota and informed them of the oil consumption, their response was "that's normal" and they offered no other help or solution. I learned from YouTube about the oil issue on the RAV4 and did some research and found a TSB bulletin for the problem but no recall.

- Michael S., Gilroy, CA, US

Nov 072016

RAV4 Vvt-I

Hi, I take my car to norwalk toyota but they never said anything about my car problem until the warranty went off. That's when they said 'your car is burning too much oil, you need to change the pistons, and your warranty is no longer covering the cost'. I wonder what can I do? Because this is B.S and I should not have to pay for this repair. They waited until my warranty ran out to tell me the problem.

- yuneez2000el, Norwalk, US

Oct 042017

RAV4 Sport

My husband and I are always on top of this but there are times when we forget to buy oil from AutoZone and we end up using the other car that we have. We love this RAV4 because it's so sporty and agile.

- mfpt, Mechanicsville, US

Nov 012017

RAV4 2.4L

At least adding one quart a week. Sometimes if forgotten (thank god for the idiot light) it is down at least two and a half quart. I'm no scientist but that's not good for the motor.

- dwskidw, Harwich, US