6.0

Most common solutions:

1. full replacement of sunroof (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Toyota RAV4:

Apr 282017

RAV4 SE 2.5L 4-cyl Hybrid

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

sunroof blew out sunroof blew out sunroof blew out sunroof blew out

Was driving on the highway at highway speed ~70mph, with no one in front for 100 yards, nothing above, and no one behind me. High winds and a storm front in the area meant that there was a ton of microclimates and pressure variables. Pretty sure that a very minor manufacturing defect in my sunroof glass combined with either subtle warping from the high winds and changing pressures caused the sunroof to explode outward. This appears to be something that happens.

Toyota Service Center wanted me to say it was a debris impact and report it to my insurance, but there is simply no way it was a debris impact. I've been in cars where both side windows and windshields have been shattered by being struck by something. The sound was completely different this time. It was a POP-bang not a CRASH-bang. The dealer service has passed it up to Toyota Corporate to determine whether they will cover it. They had better.

Update from May 23, 2017: Toyota stepped up and covered the cost of full replacement of the sunroof (after I wrote to the General Manager at the dealership and he forwarded my complaint to corporate).

- , Boulder, CO, US