Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

Oct 162013

• 1,000,210 miles
Vehicle was traveling at 65pm all of a sudden the trac control light and vsc light came on, was unable to control the truck due to the steering wheel getting light. Pulled over and stopped called Toyota customer care they states we are own our own with that problem.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc trac, trac off, brake, and ABS lights on as the same time for the last couple months. Sometimes the car straddled a little bit when I drove on freeway. I checked the code, but there are no code. I tried to looking for help online, but I am surprised, there were a lot of Toyota Sequoia owner has the same problem like mine.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Sep 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

A week prior my vsc trac and vsc off lights came on but nothing else occurred. Now out of nowhere my vehicle will make an audible sound and start rumbling and pulling to the right and slowing but won't allow me to brake. This can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 30 seconds. Sometimes the picture of the car with the skid marks will light up (even on dry roads) other times the ABS light will come on. Once the beeping and vibrations stop, the vsc trac and vsc off lights remain on until I turn the car off. I drive 30 miles each way to work daily. This is very dangerous and scary as I have no idea what triggers the episodes.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Sep 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Car was going 20mph on dry pavement. All of the sudden the vehicle stability control (vsc) activated causing the vehicle to shake and slowdown. When the vsc is engaged car is unable to accelerate. This happen on multiple times with car going 20-40mph. On roads with high traffic with cars behind me and the sudden activation of the vsc, causing my car to suddenly and abruptly slow down, almost cause the car behind to rear end my vehicle. On one occasions, my children were in the car. On many internet forums, many Sequoia owners are experiencing the same problem. This is a very dangerous defects that Toyota needs to address and fix asap.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The skid control light and warning alarm comes on while driving for no reason, car pulls to the right, unable to come to a stop with brake, car shakes, very unsafe!!! once the warning alarm goes off the vsc and trac control lights come on. From what I have been able to locate on the internet this is a common problem that was recalled for the 2003 model. Toyota needs to recall for the 2002 model also.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 232011

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc/trac activation and system warning lights came on while the system intermittently activated, locking up/letting go of the right rear tire while on dry level pavement and driving forward. I took it to a shop, which found a problem in a steering sensor, "the computer" and possibly a wheel sensor. They suggested that the system be disabled until it could be troubleshoot in more detail. I had them disable it so that it could be driven without the danger of a wheel locking up on the highway. It is still disabled, with dash system warning lights on during operation.

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jun 082009

Sequoia 8-cyl

My wife was driving down a paved road on a dry day and the vehicle swerved to the left accompanied by horrible grinding noises and beeping sounds and the vsc/trac lights on. It was very scary. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer. It worked for a few miles and then it happened again the same swerving to the left w/ the grinding noises. The vehicle is unsafe to drive. I researched it on edmunds.com, carproblemzoo.com and the Toyota forums and it seems to be a common problem. When will Toyota fix this problem? I love the truck but it is unsafe to use.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Aug 132013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I am having problem with my Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 052013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vehicle vsc and trac is auto-engaging during a drive without cause. The vehicle will jerk to a side, and a grinding noise will occur until the vehicle comes to a stop. Braking is slow and takes much longer to stop the vehicle. Electronic beeping is also heard throughout. Vsc and trac lights come on and stay on after the incident until the vehicle is turned off.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 092013

Sequoia

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vcs system warning light illuminated as the steering, brakes and acceleration failed. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 151,000.

- Midlothian , VA, USA

Jun 102013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving on dry, straight highway when vsc light and trac light come on and beeping started. Vehicle starting trying to engage 4WD I think...lots of grinding in the front end and steering shaking. Went on for about 2 minutes then stopped. Vehicle not easy to control when this happened. Has happened multiple times since. Taking to mechanic this week. Not safe for wife and kids to be driving.

- Amity, OR, USA

Jun 032013

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vsc lights and traction lights have been randomly coming on since we purchased the Sequoia in 2005 with approx. 80K on it. They typically go off on their own and do not cause any issues. Now the slip indicator light comes on, flashes and beeps while locking up the ABS and making it impossible to move until it comes to a complete stop. We have been fortunate that this has only happened at low speeds and not caused any accidents yet. It apperars that this is a wide spread issue with a combination of parts starting with the vsc computer, yaw sensor and steering angle sensor. Hopefully Toyota will take care of this due to the overall safety concern.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 142013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I pulled into traffic and all of a sudden the truck lost power as cars swerved around me and a violent grinding noise started. A skid control light started flashing. I could feel the grinding on the brake pedal. After a few seconds, the truck beeped and 2 more lights came on. The "trac off" and "vsc" came on. After that the truck drove normal. This has happened multiple times now! I no longer feel safe on the road as this seems to happen at any moment. I have read all about this problem on the internet. Many Sequoia owners have had these same problems. Why will Toyota not fix these problems"?? what has to happen for them to feel responsible?"

- Ellenton, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Trac off, vsc trac lights came on as the rear wheel locked up for a sec. Loss of power, vehicle pulled hard to the right almost causing collision with 18 wheeler on highway.

- Belton, TX, USA

May 162013

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving on a highway around 10:30pm, and all of a sudden I hear grinding noise and vsc/trac light goes on. Reduced speed because I felt as though I may lose control of vehicle. Vsc/trac light stays on, then goes off. Less than 30 minutes later, I hear beeping noise and vsc/trac light comes back on. This same incident has happened a week ago, where I pulled over the side of the road thinking it was a flat because I felt like I was losing control then too, but no flat. Trac control issue then too (hearing grinding noise). Concerned because it seems I may lose control.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 252013

Sequoia

Driving at 75mph and inexplicably lost vehicle speed. Engine was running but would not respond to foot feed, I.e. press down on accelerator and little to no increase in rpms from idle. Dealer replaced throttle position sensor.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Mar 232013

Sequoia 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle, an alarm started going off and skid control light on dash was flashing and then motor lost RPM, the vehicle shook as if all the tire where flat, this happened for about 30 seconds, while I tried to get out of traffic and off the road, then the vsc lights came on in the dash, then the vehicle smoothed out and ran normal! after looking at all the forum online for this problem, it apparently is a huge problem with these vehicles and after calling Toyota about this they claim that this problem does not exist, as all the forum we read said that Toyota would not except responsibility for this safety problem! therefor we filed a case to Toyota, hoping they could help us out! because this happens on the road it is hard to have it identified by a mechanic and a computer! we cannot with this economy in anyway afford the extreme high price of Toyota service work, I feel my family could be in great danger!

- Inglis, FL, USA

Feb 102004

Sequoia 8-cyl

I own a 2002 Toyota Sequoia, SR5, 4WD. I have the same safety issue that was fixed with the recall (4/28/2010) for the 2003 Sequoia vsc system. I am afraid to pull out into traffic at stop signs on slippery roads. The vsc system reacts and the truck will not move because I cannot accelerate. At times I am in an intersection and the vehicle will not move.

- Webster, NY, USA

Mar 162013

Sequoia 8-cyl Diesel

My wife and I were on the way South I-405 from work to go to the church. I made exit at fairview, and then left on baker street. I felt the steering wheel was very heavy and uncontrollable. The car crashed. There was no other car involved. My breast and head are in pain right now.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Mar 042013

Sequoia 8-cyl

Traveling home at normal speed the vsc/trac lights came on and the vehicle began vibrating and making a grinding noise. After stopping on the side of the road, I turned the vehicle off and on to possibly reset the vsc/trac. It seemed to work briefly but it started to do it again. We attempted to take the vehicle to the store and the problem started again. We noted audible alerts and the vsc/trac lights illuminating, grinding from what seemed to be the passenger side front tire. He had to pull off to the side of the road; however, found it difficult to control the vehicle. The speed was estimated at 35-40 mph, dry conditions with no obvious road conditions or issues. This problem had been noted several time randomly over the past two years, but has seemingly been resolved by turning the vehicle off and back on. This was the first time that the issue has persisted, and the increased difficulty in steering.

- Carleton, MI, USA