Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

Nov 112011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Driving at 60 mph the vsc lights came on and the vehicle went to the right by itself.I slow down, and then the skid traction lights came on and a loud noise was coming out of the front....I think that if I was driving faster I could of have an accident...the same thing happened yesterday...

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Jul 152010

Sequoia 8-cyl

To start, I want to stress that I do not understand why there is no recall for this problem. The vsc trac, ABS, skid control and brake lights all came on and stayed on as of the above date. Prior to that date, the vsc trac and skid lights would come on for no reason, but would go off upon turning off and restarting the car. When the lights came on and stayed on, I read the owner's manual and based on that information, was worried the brakes would not work, so I called the dealer. When I spoke to someone in the dealer's repair shop about the problem before I brought the car in, he said that the warning lights meant that my ABS system was gone and it would cost $2,000 to fix. He said that it was not covered by warranty or a recall. So, I took it to the nearest auto repair shop to my home, that I had used previously. They checked the warning lights with the computer diagnostic and could not find anything wrong. Then, I took it to the dealer, and they checked the warning lights and said that the problem was low voltage with the battery. I had recently bought a new battery, so I took the car back to the first place, which checked the battery and said it was fine. So I received conflicting messages from the dealer. However, since other owners with my year/model Toyota have had safety problems with the same issue and Toyota has the same problem with the 2003 model and they have issued a recall, I believe it is a safety issue. I can't understand why no recall has been issued for the 2002 year. Please look at all of the complaints about this exact issue from so many consumers (and I'm sure plenty of others who did not take the time to report it) and act before someone is seriously injured or killed!!!!!!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 052011

My 2002 Toyota Sequoia has a defective sensor for the vsc, brake system. I see where the 2003 Sequoia is covered, but not the 2002's. please tell me why this is the case, when the same problem is occurring.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 092011

Vsc light, trac off light and check engine light all came on at the same time. I took vehicle to autozone and they checked the computer with the result error 5 cylinder misfire, for the check engine light, the other 2 warning lights they could not give me any advice on.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 102011

Sequoia 8-cyl

In stop and go traffic at launch vehicle ABS engaged without warning repeatedly with loud grinding noises and the ABS light, traction light and vehicle stability control light all came up. Stopped vehicle, turned off engine, waited a few minutes and all lights were gone upon restart. However this problem worsened considerably and more often through the October and November 2011 months, to the point of occurring every time the vehicle is driven as the date of this writing, December 3rd 2011. New worsened symptoms now include flashing vsc (vehicle stability control) at launch from a stop, which cuts engine power and compromises accurate steering. Sometimes the ABS, trac and vsc lights come up immediately, sometimes only after repeated intrusive activations of ABS/trac/vsc. All these warning lights also stayed on once for two entire days after leaving the vehicle rest overnight. All these dangerous random interventions of the ABS/trac/vsc electronics started after the front rotors and pads were changed by a professional mechanic (A1-unity body, 1420 howe St in vancouver, bc, Canada). The vehicle was federally and provincially inspected for Canadian importation by the same mechanic before these problems started to happen. It was deemed to be in exceptional mechanical and working condition for its age and mileage. However the vehicle is now longer safe to drive because of this ABS/trac/vsc defect, despite it being otherwise perfectly drivable. Toyota must issue the same recalls that they posted for defective trac and vsc for the 2003 year Sequoia models for the 2002 Sequoia models. Sequoia vehicles haven't received any hardware or software updates as far as ABS/trac/vsc systems are concerned between 2001 and 2003, proof being that subsequent model years from 2001 all experience the same defects for the same reasons. 2001-2002 Sequoia vsc recalls need to be issued now!

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc/ABS/skid light comes on intermittently, at differing speeds, at random intervals, accompanied by grinding noise and braking action. During some of these random occurrences, especially when driving at highway speeds, the action can pull the car quickly and forcefully to the right and on a few occasions this has almost resulted in loss of control. I read on edmunds.com and other sites (including www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-Sequoia/76829-file-complaint-NHTSA-regarding-vsc-ABS/) that this is a well-known, and well documented problem! why haven't you mandated a recall for this dangerous situation"???!!! I'm concerned that my wife may be driving down the interstate and the problem will suddenly and violently pull the car to the right, and she will hit another car or lose control and crash. How many crashes, injuries, and, heaven forbid, deaths, will have to happen before you act"

- Spotsylvania, VA, USA

Jul 142011

The vehicle is a Toyota Sequoia 2002 2 wheel drive, and I have had three incidents so far. The first time was driving in the high way at a steady speed of 65 mph when the car all of the sudden jerked to the left and a beeping went off and the track off and vsc track came on. The problem is that there is no warning at all and it just happen in a matter of seconds. My concern is that I use this vehicle just when my family is with me. I wonder if accidents with fatalities need to occur before somebody do something about it.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jun 272010

Sequoia 8-cyl

2002 Toyota Sequoia vsc/ traction control system started to malfunction in June 2011 vehicle has 128,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and they said that it needs a new yaw rate sensor @800.00dollars. Also that there is a chance that this doesn't fix the problem the SUV may need an ECU at a cost of an additional $900. That's crazy!!!! this has happened at all different range of speeds. Happening more often lately and seems very dangerous when activates and makes the vehicle unstable.

- Grovetown, GA, USA

May 122011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Vsc/trac lights are on, engine light is on. Toyota dealer tells me this is a common problem with 2002 Toyota Sequoia but there's no recall. The internet is filled with Toyota Sequoia owners, 2003 model, dealing with repeated fixes for the vsc/trac lights and engine lights that come on after 111,000 miles.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jul 032011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I was driving down the highway and out of no where I started skidding and my steering wheel started shaking. There was nothing on the road, the weather was hot and dry, and I wasn't switching lanes. Simultaneously the "vsc trac" and "trac off" lights came on. My first instinct was to apply the brake, and upon doing so the ABS kicked in. I pulled off the highway to let the car rest and so that I could check everything out. Everything appeared fine, so I continued on my journey. The lights stayed on for the remainder of the 50 mile trip, but no further incident occurred. When I started the car the next morning, the lights were off. I took the car to the dealership and they told me I had an ECU skid control failure. Upon further investigation I found that this had happened at least four times prior with this vehicle, starting when the car was only two years old and had approximately 35,000 miles. All four times the car had been taken to the dealership for inspection.

- Norman, OK, USA

Jun 102011

Anti-lock braking system engages suddenly with power loss and front end vibration. Vehicle stability control and traction control lights illuminate on dash. ABS and vsc lights remain on (ABS and stability control therefore disengaged) and cannot be turned back on by operator. When vehicle is turned off, system appears to reset, but the problem repeats after restarting and driving several miles. Problem occurred twice today, on two separate drive events within a 2 hour period.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Jun 082011

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have experienced chilling and dangerous malfunctions of the ABS, vsc/track system in my (owned since new) 2002 Sequoia. The "vsc/vsc track" lights illuminate and a disconnect alarm (beeping tone) is initiated. The system failure pulls the car abruptly off course. Immediate correction must be made to stay on the road. This has happened several times within the past 6 months with the system automatically re-setting itself after turning off the key and re-starting the engine. Today's incident was the most violent and the system does not re-set. Probably a good thing. Looking at user complaints on the internet causes one to wonder why the public has not been protected by the NHTSA requiring a recall. My experience has been Toyota dealerships are turning their backs on this issue. For safety sake, this should not be ignored!! I find it hard to believe that we can spend time and money to preserve a salamander in this country and yet ignore a highway safety issue such as this. The complaints on this issue have been many and around for a while. So many of us out here are reaching out to you for help. Please help by considering a recall on these vehicles. Very truly yours, ...an experienced auto mechanic, licensed and experienced (a&P) aircraft mechanic, gulfstream 550 safety & standards Pilot.

- The Woodlands, TX, USA

May 312011

Sequoia 8-cyl

Un safe 2002 Sequoia vsc trac, vsc off having some problem with your Sequoia vsc trac sensor lights turning on and off and hearing grinding noise when it auto-engage and disengage, this is a common problem that many Sequoia owners have experience. Light came on while driving on hard and flat road and lose power almost got struck by a vehicle driving behind me unsafe.

- Reno, NV, USA

Dec 222010

Sequoia 8-cyl

Problem began in 2009 when the vsc locked up on my husband while on the freeway. This incident was reported to you and a complaint filed. When vehicle was taken to Toyota of escondido, we were told it checked out fine. The light continued to come on an off..taken in again, they pulled the computer system and found it registered the car had a total rollover..so not the case! Toyota had no answer, saying maybe computer malfunction..they did nothing! over the year the light has come on and off randomly, when taken in for scheduled maintenance, we have been told it "checks out fine". on 12/22/2010 I was pulling out of a parking spot and noticed a feeling of total tightness over the vehicle. The vsc light was on. When put in drive (I had been in reverse) the car was fine and the feeling gone..light as well. One hour later, I was at a stoplight in heavy holiday traffic. As the line began to slowly mover forward, I lightly touched the gas..immediately the car was overcome with the tight feeling and lights came on and a deep grinding noise started. I had no control of the vehicle. I was pushing forward and could not steer..I looked down thinking I was on the gas..my foot was 100% on the brake..all the way down and the car was pushing forward! I looked up and watched as my huge Sequoia crumpled up into my windshield..then the car shut down. The car in front of my had little (popping noise in trunk) to no damage! airbags never ejected. Towed and incoperable at the time. Currently being investigated for damage by insurance and Toyota.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Nov 152010

I have owned a 2002 Toyota Sequoia since 2006. This problem began occurring in the winter of 2007 with the vsc, vsc trac, and ABS warning lights all coming on. This kept continuing anytime I was driving in wet snowy conditions. I began to research this problem on line and it seems there are many cases of this on 2001-2003 Toyota Sequoias. I took it to a dealer and they couldn't find any computer codes relating to this issue. At the end of last winter the problem seemed to become worse. Even in dry conditions on dry pavement the vsc computer begins to take over acceleration and very often! and sometimes the lights come on and sometimes not. Again I researched and found there to be a Toyota recall on 2003 Sequoias only for the same problem that has been affecting my Sequoia! I called Toyota, they gave me a case # and told me to take it in to the dealer. I took it back to a Toyota dealer and again they could not duplicate the lights turning on or find any computer codes concerning the problem. That was approximately 5 months ago and still the problem persists leading up to yesterdays accident. I drove up to the mountains to go snowboarding. When we left the resort it was snowing very heavy. I noticed the ABS, vsc, and vsc trac lights come on again, as I was expecting them to. We drove about 7 miles down the road then I was moving in to the left turning lane of a traffic light. Our speed was only 15-20 mph, and when I tried to slow down the wheels locked up and we began sliding. I let off the brakes and tried them again to no avail. I let off the brakes and tried to miss the vehicle in front of me by going to the left side of them over a small median as there was no traffic coming towards us in the intersection. But my rear tire bounced me off the median and into the vehicle.the damage was minor and there were no injuries. I believe this accident could have been avoided if the ABS and vsc system was working properly. I believe the recall should include 01 and 02 Sequoias.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Nov 072010

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and recently my vsc has been was feels like a lock up, I hear something grinding and the car begins to shake and swerve, it happened as I was entering the interstate. I have had issues with the vsc light going on and off and did mention to the service dept. At the dealership when it was under warranty, they said they could not find anything wrong. It has been a few years since the problem has occurred and now it is worse and a very scary and dangerous situation. I had my daughter and a her friend in the car and we were nowhere near a town. I am very scared to drive my car. It now happens almost everytime I go somewhere, and the dealership wants to charge me just to evaluate the problem when I had previously mentioned it before. I hope there is a recall very soon.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 282010

Since end of June 2010, I had to have my 2002 Toyota Sequoia towed because it had started to veer off and the wheel became stiff and I couldn't control the steering. The vsc lights came on as well as the "squiggly car" light. I was scared to drive it again as I was 100 miles away from home, so I had it towed. I had taken it to the Toyota dealership and they diagnosed the bearings but couldn't diagnose the failure I had felt as far as the vsc incident. They charged me for inspection but said they didn't know exactly what was wrong and sent me home with the car. I experienced this for a few days and finally took it to an independent auto repair. They did a zero recalibrating and saw there was issues on the computer coming up but couldn't also exactly pinpoint what was wrong. It took a week before I got it back as it didn't reoccur with them. The following day as I drove it, the vsc lights and squiggly car light came on again. Every time I made a turn it seemed it jumped and it wouldn't gain acceleration quickly when I pressed on the gas. Plus it made this loud noise as if something was rubbing and it would slow down, then after a few seconds, regain speed. I took it in again and they replaced the yaw sensor. The following day, again taking the streets it seemed that everytime I stopped and pressed again it shifted something as I felt it under the pedals, the vsc lights would turn on but then turn off and then finally regain speed. Each and every time I was stopped at a light and then pressed on the gas, it did this. I finally looked up a recall that one technician told me about and noticed the 2003 recall for traction control system. However Toyota will not help since my car is 2002, hence why I'm complaining about it now. I believe the exact thing is what is happening to my car. I've had it swerve on the freeway when the vsc light came on and am afraid to drive it on the freeway for fear of it slowing down unexpectedly.

- Industry, CA, USA

Jun 152010

While driving my 2002 Toyota Sequoia, I pulled into traffic and all of a sudden the truck lost power as cars swerved around me and a violent grinding noise started. A skid control light started flashing. I could feel the grinding on the brake pedal. After a few seconds, the truck beeped and 2 more lights came on. The "trac off" and "vsc" came on. After that the truck drove normal. The next time it happened that day was while I pressed on the brake pedal as I was trying to make a right turn into a gas station. This has happened multiple times now! I no longer feel safe on the road as this seems to happen at any moment. I have read all about this problem on the internet. Many Sequoia owners have had these same problems. Why will Toyota not fix these problems"?? what has to happen for them to feel responsible?"

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 122010

Trac light/vsc lights came on while driving down the road. Then the car pulled to the right and a grinding noise sounding like the anti-locking brake mechanism is activating. This is an extremely dangerous malfunction. I've seen that the 2003 model has a recall out for the same thing, and after seeing many others having this same occurrence with the 2002 model, they should expand the date range to cover the 2002 as well! it happened twice this weekend and it's happened 4-5 times previous to this recent incident (one earlier incident had my stepdaughter driving the Sequoia and the power shut completely off while driving!). the mechanics told us they couldn't pull any related codes the first time we took it in. We need to take this in again immediately, but why should I have to pay the full price when this is obviously a defective part they've created? I was traveling at 70 mph on interstate-10 the first time it happened this past weekend and in-town at a slower speed (40 mph) the second incident. Luckily nobody was in the lane next to me or I'd have hit them for sure!

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Jan 062008

Gas pedal hesitates and won't pick up speed when applied. This causes me to have to pull over to the side of the road and slowly drive until the speed picks up. This almost cause an accident when I was trying to merge on to the interstate in heavy traffic.

- Memphis, TN, USA