Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Sequoia:

Jul 172012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Frame of vehicle is rusted and very thin in areas. The suspension and rear axle housing is rusting also. Frame is very close to developing holes and is de-laminating I believe it is unsafe to drive and Toyota will not do anything about it.

- Dunmore, PA, USA

Jun 272012

Sequoia 8-cyl

Dealer reports that frame (crossmember) is rotted to the point of being unsafe to drive.

- Swansea, MA, USA

Jan 052012

Sequoia 8-cyl

The vehicle was examined at our local Toyota dealer on 1/5/2012 because of making a grinding noise and shaking with acceleration at speeds above 20 mph. It was found to have extensive rust damage to the frame with a large rust hole in the right front area at the sway bar bushing bracket. The rear differential housing was rusted and leaking fluid, the right and left sway bars were broken, both front brake calipers were stuck and the rotors badly rusted. Repairs for the frame alone were estimated at over $10,000 with more than that amount to take care of the other issues. This Sequoia has been well maintained on a regular schedule, washed regularly and kept at night in a garage. The body and interior are in excellent condition. The car has only 76,000 miles on the odometer. It was quite a shock to go from a car we relied upon to carry us safely in winter weather to one which has had to be abandoned for scrap. I understand that frame rust issues have been a serious problem for many Toyota models including the Tacoma and Tundra resulting in recalls. The Sequoia needs to be added to this list.

- Elkview, WV, USA

May 172007

Sequoia 8-cyl

I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. The frame, undercarriage and hitch are all rusted. The undercoating peels right off at the carwash. I asked my Toyota dealer about it when it was in for a oil change and he said nothing to worry about. Every year it is getting worse and my husband said it is something to worry about. Is Toyota going to stand behind there products? I am worry this year about it passing inspection.

- Curwensville, PA, USA

Aug 122011

2002 Toyota Sequoia was found by mechanic to have frame rust through. Contacted Toyota Corp. With no recall stated by them, and no resolution offered. Filed Ohio attny. General complaint filing.

- Willoughby, OH, USA

Nov 232009

Driving on the freeway, my car "collapsed". I was able to glide to the center median and stop. After towing my car to the dealer, it was determined that the ball joint failed (the ball joint had been recalled). I did not receive the recall notices. While Toyota is willing to repair the recalled item, they are not willing to cover the cost of the related damage which would not have happened if the ball joint did not fail. As an owner of 5 Toyota, we feel that Toyota should cover the subsequent damage and the cost of the rental car since it took them over one month to contact us with their answer.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Apr 302007

Sequoia 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Sequoia. While driving 45 mph a squeak was heard in the front of the vehicle. The contact received a recall letter about the lower ball joints, the contact was on a waiting list with an approximate repair time of 6 months. An alignment was performed at the failure mileage of 82,000. The current mileage was 83,500. The consumer stated there was a wobble come from the front of the vehicle when slowing down or stopping, and the vehicle would pull to the right. Updated 05/22/07.

- Goodyear , AZ, USA

Sep 282006

In 8/06 I noticed a roaring/grinding noise coming from my end. L. bearing replaced X2. Problem remained. Then replaced the right front bearing. Still to no avail. I then took my car to Toyota in tampa who stated the replaced bearing had been pressed in too tight. I took my car back to the mechanic who then took the entire assembly over Toyota in clearwater to replace the entire assembly. Still no resolution. Tire problem? so, I took it back to the tire kingdom who put on new Michelin cross terrain SUV tires. Problem remained. So I took it back to them and they then put on a new set of Michelin ltx tires. Problem remained. So, I then took it to collisiontec in clearwater, thinking that perhaps tire kingdom might have bent something when they originally rotated the tires. (the certified Toyota mechanic had previously inspected everything under my car when he first had it but had been unable to detect any damage). Collisiontec drove the car and did an initial inspection, but could not detect anything. They have asked to have me bring the car back so that they can keep it for a week and do a complete inspection. In the meantime, my check engine light came on and the vsc/vtc light came on, so I took it back to the Toyota mechanic. The O2 sensor needs to be fixed/replaced. To fix the vsc/vtc Toyota doesn't sell the one part needed, only the complete set for $900! this is all on top of the original roar/grinding/vibration problem which still exists!! reapairs now up to 2K & no resolution. Also, my car was recalled for the ball joint problem. There is no sticker indicating ball joints replaced. If the ball joints were not replaced as they should have been, could this be the source of the roar/grinding/vibration? this roar/grinding/vibration is coming from the front and occurs only when the car is in motion.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

May 052003

While driving the vehicle swayed from left to right..

- Agua Dulce, CA, USA

May 092002

Vehicle drifts suddenly to the right or left. Steering wheel does not pull to either side but requires corrective movement to straighten vehicle's path. This condition is more severe on a windy day or when passing a truck or bus or larger vehicle. Potentially dangerous condition. Two new Sequoia SUV's were purchased at the same time. The Sequoia with the steering and handling problem came with Michelin tires. The other Sequoia came with Bridgestone tires and does not have this problem.

- Miami, FL, USA