Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Toyota Sienna:

Jul 152019

Sienna

2017 L model Toyota Sienna mini van / just purchased as a certified Toyota pre-owned unit with less than 13,000 original miles, I am the second owner. I cannot reliably see the speedometer display in daylight, no display back lights in day light, unless headlights or parking lights are on, very poor visibly of speedometer is most unsafe as I have to take my eyes off the road for extended periods of time just to try and see my speed reading. I did not notice this issue at night when purchased the car.

- Winder, GA, USA

Mar 082019

Sienna 6-cyl

Takata recall(?) my husband bought me a 2017 Toyota Sienna in February 2019, it was previously a rental. The van was immaculate and only had about 20,000 miles at time of purchase. On or about March 8, 2019 we were on our way to dinner at about 9 P.M. I was approaching a red light, foot on the brake, maybe 15 mph and I looked down for a second and ended up rear ending a vehicle and in the end there were 3 vehicles besides mine involved (4 total). There was significant damage to my van, the plastics crumpled and it appeared to have no major damage outside of the plastics. The air bags did not deploy despite the front end collision. At the body shop, upon tear down the passenger side rail was damaged as well as the air bag sensors were crushed. One would think if the sensors were crushed the air bags would have deployed prior. In order to replace the sensors it would require a new wiring harness and to replace that would require removal of engine and transmission. My $26,000 2017 Sienna with less than 50,000 miles was totaled. The airbags should have deployed and didn┐T. there was no ┐hard hit┐ and no significant damage to other vehicles (rear bumpers) or to my husband or myself. My first concern is the air bags not deploying, the second is having had the van totaled over a ┐minor rear end collision┐ ┐parts of this document have been redacted to protect personally identifiable information pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6).┐

- Polk City, FL, USA

Mar 312019

Sienna

Issue started at about 4100 miles. The van would not start at all. The push button would act as of the van would start but nothing would happen. After trying 5 plus times it started. Took the van to the dealer that stated everything looked good. Now about two weeks ago the same issue occured. The van would display check charging system on the display and the van would not start no would the side doors open in order for me to get my infant's out of the van. After multiple attempts the van going again it started and I was on my way. Contact Toyota to inform them and so far they have not contacted me back as well as the dealer.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Aug 102018

Sienna

Husband lost control of the car driving 75 miled per hour on highway. "AWD brake override. Contact dealership" came on a gauge. Pulled off side of I-95 and car shook and came to a complete hault after making a loud grinding noise. We immediatley noticed fire coming from under the hood on driver side. Evacuated, called 911. Car was a total loss. Please get Toyota to investigate since this is not the first 2017 Toyota Sienna to catch on fire in the same manner.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

May 072018

Sienna

While my wife was driving down a major 6 lane freeway going 65 on her way to work electronics shut down. Dashboard, radio, lights all electronics. Luckily, she was still able to drive car safely to shoulder.while pulled over dashboard, radio and lights flickered a couple times then came back on.unknown cause.

- Parlin, NJ, USA

Dec 012017

Sienna

Wife was driving vehicle, while turning off of a main road with vehicle in drive the vehicle stopped accelerating with foot depressing gas pedal. Pulled vehicle over, turned on and off couple of times, each time shifting from park to drive and attempting to accelerate, but vehicle had no response. I came to switch vehicles and send her home with the kids. I started vehicle and attempted drive and reverse, neither of which responded. I then switched to standard transmission mode, the vehicle then would drive and I took it home. I turned vehicle off and on, attempted drive and reverse in automatic transmission mode, and the vehicle was working fine again as if nothing ever happened. Took vehicle to dealer, they could not "duplicate the problem" and the vehicle passed health check. Apparently the issue reset itself when I switched the tranny from auto to standard. No fix has been implemented. This occurred at 2122 miles. Then just today I was driving down the road and the heater came on full blast, temp. Reading 77, all on its own without me touching anything. Will be taking it to dealer today.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Jun 012017

Sienna

The 2017 Toyota Sienna le does not illuminate the speedometer, tachometer and other gauges when the headlights are set to the auto or drl off (lights off/ daytime running lights on) position. As a result, under some daylight driving conditions, such as when exterior conditions are bright but there is no direct light on the gauges, the speedometer is not easily visible. For the driver to determine the current speed, fuel level, etc., it can take several seconds for the driver's eyes to adjust to the darker instrument panel and longer if the driver is wearing sunglasses. This takes the driver's attention off the road or prevents the driver from accessing critical information. Previous model years of the Toyota Sienna le, such as the 2010, illuminated the gauges brightly with the headlights turned off. To further illustrated the problem, assuming the gauges are lit 100% at night with the headlights on, the 2010 Toyota Sienna le lit the gauges 150% with the headlights off and the 2017 Toyota Sienna le lights them 0%. there does not appear to be anything about the design or contrast of the gauges that helps makes them visible without backlighting. Some other Toyota Sienna models have a white background on the gauges which makes them visible in daylight. Note that the vehicle has a gauge dimmer control that reduces the brightness of the gauges when the headlights or parking lights are on. This control has no effect when the headlights are switched to drl off or auto (under daylight conditions). In other words, there is no method of brightening the gauges without turning on the headlights in the day time. And even then, the gauges are not bright enough for all conditions. Please investigate. The manufacturer should be required to correct this design flaw to protect the safety of the vehicle occupants.

- Cary, NC, USA

Nov 302016

Sienna

The speedometer is not lighted during daylight unless the headlights or driving lights are on. This makes it very difficult to determine your velocity. If you spend too much time trying to see the speedometer it is a safety hazard. It is also a hazard not knowing if you are driving too fast or too slowly. The speedometer was lighted on my 2008 Sienna le. The speedometer is lighted on the 2017 Sienna xle. To introduce such a safety hazard on the lower price model seems really inappropriate.

- Elmira, NY, USA