Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Toyota Tacoma:

Aug 032016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2017 Toyota Tacoma. While the vehicle was parked, the contact noticed the odor of burning oil. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle had an oil leak. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 17V285000 (power train). Later, while driving 5 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently and three unspecified warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that an unknown component had disconnected and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered a loaner vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Riverdale, MD, USA

Feb 202017

Tacoma

Transmission has jerky shifting and low at fluid. Purchased 4X2 automatic on Feb 2017 with 20 miles on it. Within 2 days of driving it I felt the hard jerks of the transmission at the start of the day. Once it runs for more than 7 minutes the hard shifting of gears stops. I called service dept at the dealer they told me it is the adaptive transmission learning, not to worry it is normal and it will stop after 600 miles. I also noticed it is very stiff shifting from P to R and D in mornings only. At 650miles the hard shifting continued. I went to dealer and after a cursory inspection and 5 minute drive tech told me nothing is wrong. I asked him to check the atf level because many people wrote online about low atf levels causing the problems. Tech said they do not send out vehicles without proper levels of fluids and it could not be. I asked manager to make someone check. They of course would not let me watch them in the service bay when they took it back but later insisted they did check my atf and it was full. It is now at 827 miles and I am going to a different dealer to have them check for me but I am worried the longer I drive it with low atf it will damage the transmission worse.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Mar 142017

Tacoma

Rear differential noise effecting all 2016 and 2017 Tacoma trucks. Toyota has already replaced differential, this made no improvement, the noise is the same. Toyota fst sad they are aware of the issue and working on a correction. I just hope this is fixed before the rear end locks up on someone Tacoma and causes an accident.

- Hollywood, MD, USA

Sep 302016

Tacoma

My new Tacoma has a whine/howl coming from the rear differential. Per my dealer, they have started a tas case with Toyota Corp and were advised that the condition described is known, and under investigation. Tas says there are no recommended repairs at this time. The problem is occurring between 30-65 mph when decelerating and feathering the throttle, but is now becoming more pronounce with time and more mileage. IżM concerned that the issue could potentially become a safety issue. This issue is occurring with 2016-17 Tacoma's. many differentials have been replaced by dealers; even the replacement differentials are experiencing the same issue.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Mar 132017

Tacoma

I pulled up to park the truck. After put in park the 2017 Toyota Tacoma lunged forward. This caused the vehicle to hit a brick wall. There was almost $5950 in damage to the truck and the airbags did not go off. I watched myself crash into the wall and could not stop the truck.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Feb 012017

Tacoma

Buzzy vibration in accelerator pedal is noticeable, from 25mpg to 75mph. It seems, as vibration is related to the automatic transmission. I currently, have a 2017 Toyota Tacoma, off road trim, 4X4 short-bed, automatic.

Feb 102017

Tacoma

The transmission is unable able to locate the correct gear.

Feb 172017

Driveline vibration under deceleration around 0-30 mph

Jan 212017

Tacoma

Driving home from the dealership, I noticed a hesitation or jerking upon acceleration. I returned the next week and was advised there was a bulletin, T-sb-0077-16 and the software was reloaded or updated and the problem was fixed. When I left, it appeared to be fixed for the first 5 miles, then the problem returned and is getting worse. I contacted Toyota, complaint 170206-000100. I received a return email the same day and subsequent phone call several days later. I was advised I would be contacted within a week for resolution or plan of action. That week has come and gone. Meanwhile, the truck continually gets worse. Twice, I have accelerated from stop and the truck seems to shift in neutral and I had to let off the pedal for it to accelerate again. One of those times, I was almost rear ended. It is worse when driving in the city. The truck begins jerking and it is difficult to get it to accelerate. I feel it is very unsafe to drive, but right now I don't have much choice. I almost feel like I need a tow truck, ambulance, and attorney to follow me everywhere. I hope this will at least bring awareness to an unsafe issue and others will be spared the potential results.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Dec 222016

Tacoma

The contact owns a 2017 Toyota Tacoma. While stopped, with the brake pedal depressed, the vehicle surged forward. The vehicle was previously taken to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the tcm and ECM needed to be updated. The ECM and tcm were updated. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired per tsb number: 0077-16. Prior to the tsb repair, the contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,756.

- Tazewell, VA, USA

Dec 172016

Tacoma

3.5L V6, limited edition, extended cab, 4X4, automatic, 1200 miles on odometer. Driving about 35mph on snow covered road in four wheel drive. Engine not completely warmed up and outside air temperature 9 degrees. Suddenly engine revved up without any pressure on accelerator and vehicle went into a sideways slide into the oncoming lane. Revving lasted about 2 seconds and then came back to normal RPM's. I got vehicle back in control but the unexpected acceleration was an eye opener and I was very fortunate there were no oncoming vehicles. Vehicle will also hesitate when cold while shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa. It tends to lunge in either direction depending on which gear it is in and having your foot firmly on the brake is the only way to stop it from taking off on you once it decides to go into gear. Have read multiple related issues involving 2016 Tacoma with no Toyota fix yet

- Manchester, ME, USA

Sep 052016

Tacoma

Transmission slips when cold. Delay in shifting from reverse to drive when cold. Transmission upshifts too quickly at very low speeds.

- Athens, GA, USA