Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Passat:

Jan 222019

Passat

Timing belt tensioner failure. Engine requires major repairs

- Warrington, PA, USA

Aug 172018

Passat

Stopped running at traffic light- towed to dealership -timing chain/tensioner issue

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 102018

Passat

3 different occasions my car would loose power and shut down on the highway. I had it towed and all three times they stated it was different things and that they had to take steps in replacing good parts to find the bad ones. Just to find out that it was the fuel pump control module that they thought it was the whole time. Now there is a recall on it. Which I have summitted the paper work and they conveniently cannot find. This past weekend my car wouldn't turn over at all when I tried to start it in a parking lot so I had it towed for the 4th time in 2.5years. They are claiming that the engine motor is bad and it would cost $7500 to replace. The technician cannot find any oil leaks nd claim there was only about a half of court of oil in the motor. I had the oil changed less than 2 months prior and both Volkswagen and my mechanic said that there is no way it could of run for that long on half a court of oil and should hold 5.6 quarts. Which leads to the motor eating so to speak the oil. ( a bad engine) although I spent over $20'000.00 on this vehicle and have had all these issues Volkswagen is telling me that they will not help at all with repairing the engine. That I will have to eat the $9000 still owed on the vehicle. Words cannot describe how disappointed I am with the customer service by Volkswagen.

- New Market, MD, USA

Feb 292016

Passat

Rear main seal and breather unit blew out @ 74K miles. My vehicle was leaking oil and vacuum pressure. Cost me $1800 to repair. It caused my vehicle to stall out several times while driving/resting at stop lights.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 092018

Passat

Bad tensioner belt led to blown engine.

- West Haven, CT, USA

May 122018

Passat

Began to drive vehicle yesterday to fuel up. "oil consumption: Stop engine" warning message came on. Went off after a few seconds and then came back on and wouldn't go off. Drove 6 blocks back home. Did not feel it was safe to drive car any further. VW dealer does not know why that warning message came on. They don't know what to do or what to fix. They said fuel pump recall may fix the problem. That recall is now 10 months old with no sign of parts being ready.

May 072018

Passat

My son drove the vehicle to school this morning. As he neared the school driveway going about 25 miles per hour, the engine warning light came on "stop engine immediately." He drove the vehicle 1 city block to park in the school parking lot. The engine did not jolt when the warning came on but it came on none-the-less.

May 052018

Passat

Driving car when suddenly a warning message is displayed "stop engine immediately." The car was in forward motion as I was driving on a 4 lane highway. This has happened several times. Not turning, not braking, not backing up. We discussed it with a VW dealer. They said the car has a recall on the fuel pump 10 months ago but as of yet, no parts and no eta. Online reports suggest the engine may overheat and seize or cause engine fire.

Apr 092018

Passat

Rear main oil seal needed to be replaced. It was compromised by excessive pressure in crankcase because PCV breather was not functioning. There was no check engine condition prior to the rear seal being compromised. Rear main seal replacement costs $1146, parts and labor. PCV valve was also replaced. I noticed an oil leak on garage floor, which led me to bring it into service for a technician to inspect. I would like VW to compensate for some of the costs for this repair.

- Germantown, NY, USA

Jan 102018

Passat

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and failed to restart. In addition, the engine warning indicator failed to illuminate. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact managed to restart the vehicle and drove to darcars Volkswagen (12511 prosperity dr., silver spring, md 20904, (301) 622-7000) where it stalled again. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 17V509000 (fuel system: Gasoline); however, the contact had not received a recall notice. The same dealer diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced, but the recall was on hold. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and was not able to confirm when the parts were to become available. The failure mileage was 111,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Wheaton, MD, USA

Apr 152017

Passat

There is an interruption in electrical power to the fuel pump control module. This resulting in the fuel pump running continuously, resulting in a drained battery and cause a loss of motive power while the vehicle is in motion, this happened today on highway and almost I was going to have a fatal accident. Us. VW and the delar are not taking any action at that regard, they stated today that I pay to the repair and they will emberse me later. Pleas note that there is a recall on the fuel pump control module to solve that issue. Safety risk

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 042018

Passat

This vehicle had catastrophic engine failure due to a faulty cam chain tensioner. This is been known by Volkswagen as a service bulletin was issued in 2011. I was driving on a city St. And had to push the vehicle to the side. The fuel pump and sending units have also failed in this vehicle along with the turbocharger diverter valve which was a defective item. All these items have been known by Volkswagen for some time. The cost of repair on the vehicle has been over $5,000. I believe all these issues should have been a recall item. Failures on some of them have been happening at 20,000 miles. They could pose a safety hazard depending on where you were driving. Volkswagen has denied any reimbursement on most of these items. Had consumers known of these issues the cost would have been significantly less if the defective parts have been replaced. I am currently joining an active class action suit against Volkswagen for the timing chain tensioner.

- Paso Robles, CA, USA

Dec 232017

Passat

Defective timing chain tensioner in 2.0 tsi engine damage the car and engine not getting started. Mechanic asked for $3500 approximate estimate for repair which is known defect of VW 2.0 tsi engine. Vehicle was in motion when I was parking the car in mall parking area.

- Avenel, NJ, USA

Jun 022017

Passat

My 2009 Volkswagen stoped starting, so I had it towed into a dealership where they ran a few tests and determined that my timing chain tensioner failed which resulted in the failure of my engine. As a result, I needed to pay around $7000-$8000 in order to replace. Given I could not afford, ive been making my monthly payment as I am financially obligated to do so. The car only had 70,000 miles, therefore I am surprised that the engine already went and feel this is something VW should replace.

- Lemont, IL, USA

Nov 272017

Passat

My vehicle was in motion on a city street and suddenly it started shaking while driving and when I braked, it shaked even more vigorously. I took it to a local mechanic who said there is an issue with the engine and the dealership will have to look at it. They recommended that I tow the car to the dealership and advised against driving it. I towed the car to the dealership. After two days the dealership calls me stating that the timing chain has jumped and there is no compression. They would have to repair or replace the engine. The dearlship technician said that they have had several VW vehicles brought in with similar issues but VW has refused to issue a recall or take any action to correct this issue. This is a dangerous safetly hazard. If I was driving on a highway and this happened, I could have easily caused a big accident because I literally had very little control over the car and what it was doing. This is a defect in the car's manufacturing and VW needs to do something urgently to fix the issue. There are other cars and owners out there unaware of this potentially dangerous issue and NHTSA needs to bring this to everyone's attention. Thank you.

- Skokie, IL, USA

Oct 122017

Passat

Found out there was a timing chain issue with the vehicle where it jumped 22 degrees. After research have found on a number of forums that this is a widespread issue with this engine in both VW and Audi vehicles. VW will not issue a recall, the claim is, due to it being too widespread and extremely expensive. Under most circumstances from what I have read, it causes catastrophic engine failure. Luckily, mine did not jump that far, but it still was an expensive repair that shouldn't have had to happen. Well now I have had $4200 in repairs made to my engine due to this issue and I think VW should have paid for it.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Sep 122017

Passat

Sudden loss of engine oil causing engine failure

- Carnation, WA, USA

Jan 022013

Passat

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Passat. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would suddenly stall. Moments later, the vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer (suntrup Volkswagen in St. Louis, mo), but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but no assistance was offered. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 052017

Passat

Car was parked and would not start. Had towed to mechanic--castastropic engine failure due to broken timing belt tensioner. 105K miles--maintenance upkept. Obviously there is a latent defect in the tensioner system of the timing chain that can cause the chain to “jump a tooth” in the vehicle’'s camshaft, which causes serious and sometimes fatal damage to the engine. Unfortunately the defect is impossible for car owners to discover, but Audi and Volkswagen knew of the tensioner system problem since at least June 2010. Normally, the timing chain is meant to function perfectly for at least 120,000 miles. Because the system is not on the schedule for recommended maintenance from the manufacturers. However, with the defective tensioner, the timing chain frequently fails well before that mark, but often after the warranty has expired. This issue caused my engine to have catastrophic engine failure. Why has the VW owners not been notified and why hasn't the ntsb done anything about this. 7K+ to get a new engine. This is an internal part and not a scheduled maintenance issue.VW should be held accountable. People don't have money to purchase a car and have the engine fail before car is paid for.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 292017

Passat

The car had been driven a short distance and parked. Shortly after that it caught on fire and was destroyed.

- Decatur, GA, USA