6.5

$5,000

Most common solutions:

2. replace piston rings or engine (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volvo S60:

Oct 102017

S60 T5 2.5L

Just add a few quarts every now and then. It doesn't affect the performance. I use Castrol synthetic oil.

- Wilson M., Wilmington, CA, USA

Aug 242016

S60 T5 2.5L 5

Driving my CPO Volvo 400 miles a day as I usually do. Get close to my house and the oil light flashes every time I make a sharp turn. It bursts out 'no oil pressure- turn off for safety' and does this only when I turn. I pull into my driveway to see it went almost none dry between oil changes (every 10,000 miles- synthetic) and I was mortified. The motor could have seized. This was my first warning and had not leaked any oil anywhere in my driveway. Typically if a car consumes that much oil it is usually going somewhere like the ground. No warnings at all. I added five quarts of oil. And started driving to look for a new car. I had enough issues with the car to the point I was just done. From electrical issues to suspension issues! I never took it to the dealership to get it looked at or fixed but I am calling Volvo tomorrow to tell them. Pick up new car tomorrow

- H M., Sturbridge, MA, USA

Dec 312015

S60 T5

There apparently is a major issue with the 2012 Volvo S60 T5. Not everyone will hit this issue. If they do, it will usually be around the 60k-70k mileage range when the vehicle is well out of warranty but way before you ever expect an engine from the company with the reputation of Volvo to fail. Most 2012 Volvo's are not in this mileage range for this year of car. Most are around (36k-48k) miles.

Volvo has a TJ# 29871 out on this. Can also be found under TJ29871-2015-02-05 (Engine 62 : High Oil Consumption). They describe the process to identify if the car is affected. If it is, the first thing they will attempt to do is replace the piston rings. This job usually retails for around $5k. If that does not resolve the problem, then Volvo replaces the engine are a retail cost of around $12k. For those having their cars serviced by a Volvo dealer, Volvo seems to be stepping up. For others, Volvo is giving those owners the middle finger. Audi had a similar issue with 2009-2011 (A4, A5, Q5 cars) and they extended the warranties of those vehicles. Why isn't Volvo doing the same?

The use of Google leads to quite a few threads on this issue.

See here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?217635-2012-S60-T5-Hole-in-Exhaust-valve-at-78k-miles

And here: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?227512-2012-T5-S60-Oil-Guzzler-and-No-Warning!

And here:http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s60-v60-10/burning-oil-81241/

This issue will only get worse, not better. If your car has not gotten up there in mileage, then you need to pay very close attention to your oil levels. At the first sign of oil consumption, you need to take it to the dealer and make them fix it. (Most likely they won't be able to and the engine will need a significant overhaul).

- volvoregret, Bath, PA, USA

Aug 122014

S60 T5

Bought my certified pre-owned 2012 Volvo S60 from a local dealership. Not long after I had it, my oil light flashed on. I checked my oil, and there was hardly any. I added oil and took it in to the dealer to see what was going on. They said there was a recall, and they followed the guidelines from Volvo and sent me on my way.

About 5k miles later, I checked my oil again, and it was low. I took it back to the dealer and they made another repair and sent me on my way. about 1500k miles later, I check my oil again, and it's low again. I took it back to the dealer, and they installed a brand new engine at 52,500 miles. I had it back for 8 days, and the check engine light came on. It is now back at the dealer. UGH! Waiting to see what is wrong with the beast now.

- butterflygeorgia, Auburn, GA, USA