— BMW is recalling 9,000 cars that can experience failures of the brake vacuum pumps and cause a loss of power assisted braking. The recall is an expansion of a October 2013 recall of 76,000 cars for the same problems.
BMW names the vehicles as the:
- 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sports Wagon
- 2012-2014 BMW 320i Sedan, 328i Sedan, 320i xDrive Sedan, 328i xDrive Sedan
- 2012-2013 BMW 528i Sedan, 528i xDrive Sedan
- 2013-2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i, X1 xDrive28i Sports Activity Vehicle
- 2013-2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i Sports Activity Vehicle
- 2012-2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i Roadster
- 2014 BMW 428i Coupe, and 428i xDrive Coupe
BMW says a seal disk in the camshaft core can move out of place with the engine running and cause a blockage of the oil supply holes. The vacuum pump is driven and supplied with pressurized oil for lubrication and internal sealing purposes, so decreased lubrication can wear down the pump.
All power braking assist will be lost if the vacuum pump fails.
The BMW recall will begin in late November 2014. BMW dealers will install a locking ring in the camshaft to make sure the camshaft seal disk doesn't move out of place.
If you own one of the recalled cars and have any questions or comments, contact BMW at 800-525-7417.