— Don't call it a recall because BMW sure isn't, but the automaker has agreed to perform free repairs on cars with the N63 engine. Calling it the "N63 Customer Care Package," BMW bulletin B001314, the automaker will inspect, and if needed, replace the following parts:
- Fuel injectors
- Low pressure fuel sensor
- Engine vacuum pump
- Crankcase vent lines
- Mass air flow sensors
BMW is also changing the service schedule from 2 years/15,000 miles to the service interval of 12 months/10,000 miles.
The automaker says the following vehicles are included if they have the N63 engine:
- BMW 7 Series Sedan – Manufactured from March 2009 to June 2012
- BMW Active Hybrid 7 – Manufactured April 2010 to June 2012
- BMW Gran Turismo – Manufactured from September 2009 to June 2012
- BMW 5 Series Sedan – Manufactured from March 2010 to July 2013
- BMW 6 Series Convertible – Manufactured from March 2011 to July 2012
- BMW 6 Series Coupe – Manufactured from July 2011 to July 2012
- BMW X5 – Manufactured from March 2010 to June 2013
- BMW X6 – Manufactured from July 2008 to June 2014
- BMW ActiveHybrid X6 – Manufactured from September 2009 to September 2011
By calling it a "customer care package" and not a "recall," BMW won't have to list the "silent recall" with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and won't really have to answer to anyone. There also won't be widespread media attention based on another BMW "recall" and the automaker won't have to announce how many vehicles are affected.
The automaker says the work will be performed even if the vehicle is out of warranty, and how many miles are on the car won't matter. Additionally, a loaner vehicle will be available through your local dealer.
There is also something called the BMW "N63 Customer Loyalty Offer" that will provide incentives for trading in the car for a new BMW model. Then there is the "N63 Customer Appreciation Program" where a customer is offered a $50 gift card, gas card, car detailing or BMW merchandise.
If you own one of these vehicles, be watching for mailed notification from BMW. However, also be alert for a call from your local BMW dealer.