— Mercedes-Benz is recalling over 147,000 vehicles with loose rubber seals that could cause a fire. Mercedes says the recalled vehicles include the:
- 2013-2015 Mercedes-Benz E350 Sedan
- 2013-2015 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sedan
- 2013-2015 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Station Wagon
- 2013-2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 Hybrid Sedan
- 2013-2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS 550 CGI, and CLS550 4Matic
- 2013-2014 Mercedes-Benz E550 4Matic Sedan
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz E63 Sedan
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz E63 Station Wagon
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz CLS63
- 2014-2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 4Matic
- 2014-2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 4Matic Sedan
- 2014-2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 4Matic Sedan "S"
- 2014-2015 Mercedes-Benz E63 4Matic Station Wagon
- 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS400
- 2015 Mercedes-Benz E400 Sedan, E400 4Matic Sedan and CLS400 4Matic
- 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 "S"
Mercedes says a rubber seal is mounted on the top of the secondary bulkhead, designed to seal the bulkhead to the closed hood. The seal had previously went through a "cosmetic design change" and the change caused a problem with securing the seal.
The loose seal could stick to the engine hood when it's opened, then the seal could let go from the hood and fall near or onto parts of the exhaust system. The automaker says the fear is the rubber seal contacting the hot catalytic converter and potentially causing a fire.
Mercedes-Benz says the recall should start in mid-March 2015. Dealers will attach four retaining clips to the rubber seal to keep it in place.
Owners of the recalled vehicles can contact Mercedes-Benz customer service at 201-573-5339 and give them recall number 2015020001.