BMW Recall : Steering Rod May Detach From Wheel Knuckle
2003 BMW 540
If the steering rod detaches from the steerable wheel knuckle, it can cause sudden loss of steering control, increasing the risk of a crash.
Steering — Linkages — Rod — Relay — Connecting
- ZF Group North America Operations (ZF) is recalling certain Lemförder Steering Center Rods sold as aftermarket parts for 1996-2004 BMW 5-Series (E39) vehicles. The steering center rods may have an insufficient ball pin pull force that may allow the rods to detach from the steering knuckle.
- ZF has notified the parts distributors, instructing them to inform the end customer. ZF will reimburse them for the affected parts. The recall began August 28, 2019.
- Documents (10)
- Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2019-3
- Recall 573 Report - Amendment 1
- Defect Notice 573 Report
- Recall Acknowledgement
- Recall 573 Report - Amendment 2
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)-2019.08.28 ZF Customer Letter for Lemforder Steering Central Rod Recall
- Recall 573 Report - Amendment 3
- Recall 573 Report - Amendment 5
- Recall 573 Report - Amendment 4
- Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2019-4