Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 BMW Z4:

Sep 252012

Z4 6-cyl

Driving South on santa barbara attempted to turn right onto davis blvd. As I was turning the steering stuck. That surprised me and almost lost control. It took a heavy effort to correct the direction of the car.this problem seems to occur at high ambient temperatures.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jul 152009

Z4 6-cyl

The power steering becomes dangerous when the car is exposed to heat 80+ degrees/sun. The steering wheel "sticks" in certain spots and is hard to move. It will randomly stop "sticking" giving an unexpected push in any given direction. Looks to be a frequent complaint. Car is unsafe to drive in the heat.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 162012

Z4 6-cyl

BMW Z4 steering - no power steering, causes difficulty in managing & steering car.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Aug 222012

Z4 6-cyl

There is a catch or binding feeling in the steering after the car has been driven a while and is at full operating temperature (gets worse when warm). I noticed this after having driven it a few miles; it feels like the car wants to track on its own as if it was following a rut in the road even though it is on smooth pavement and the wheel has to be forced back in the a straight line. It happened to me as I entered an intersection and the steering stuck, turning me into the on-coming lane. I worry that this may happen when my wife is driving and result in an accident if it were to tighten up unexpectedly.

- Mt Pleasant, TN, USA

Jul 302012

Z4 6-cyl

On my drive home from work, after the car had been parked outside, I experienced "sticky steering." Just like the complaints from investigation PE10020 and countless internet posts over the past decade, the steering wheel movement was stuck in place and required extra force, then it would release unexpectedly causing me to over-correct. Worse than just heavy steering is the fact that it needs extra force to get the steering wheel "unstuck" but then the assist kicks in and you're over-compensating which causes zig-zagging. It was almost impossible to maintain my lane on the interstate and at one point I dropped two wheels on the shoulder. I have now contacted BMW corporate and they tell me they're being generous by replacing the known-faulty steering rack -- so long as I pay $1,000+ in labor. I think this is outrageous. It is wrong that this known defect costs the consumer any money to replace. BMW should cover parts and labor. They know this part is faulty, everyone I've talked to says "oh, the Z4, yeah I've seen this steering problem on lots of them" but they're quick to remind me that it was not an official recall so they aren't obligated to do anything. This is a safety issue and should be the basis for a mandatory recall (you know, like the one they are doing on current models with similar power steering failures!).

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 172011

Z4

Sticky steering causes over steering.

- Chiefland, FL, USA

Apr 152012

Z4

The contact owns a 2003 BMW Z4. While driving approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel exhibited excessive play which caused the vehicle to travel out of its lane. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated the vehicle operated normally. There was a front end wheel alignment performed and all four tires were balanced. The failure continued after the repair. The contact planned to have the vehicle inspected by a different mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Jul 022012

Z4

The contact owns a 2003 BMW Z4. The contact stated that while turning at 5 mph, the steering wheel seized. The steering wheel became stuck in the centered position and made it very difficult to change lanes on the highway. The failure occurred frequently at all speeds. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic that specialized on BMW manufactured vehicles. The mechanic diagnosed the failure and stated that the repairs would be very expensive. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer was not notified. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 87,000 and the current mileage was 87,300.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 052012

Z4 6-cyl

Driving 35 mph straight. Lost power steering. Pulled over shut off engine. Restarted engine power steering returned. Lost power steering again within one mile. Returned home.

- Hiawatha, IA, USA

Jul 022012

Z4

The steering seems to lock up making it hard to steer. Seems rather dangerous since you have to move the wheel hard either to the left or right. Wondering why there isn't a recall on this.

- Kettle Falls, WA, USA

Jul 022011

Z4 6-cyl

The vehicle was parked in the sun with temperatures over 88 degrees. At 2 pm, I drove the vehicle on the highway at 60mph while rounding a slight bend to the left. The steering wheel would not turn under a slight effort so I made an additional effort. Suddenly, the resistance is completely absent resulting in a sharp veer to the left changing lanes. Fortunately, there was not another car in the left lane. I immediately corrected and returned to my original lane. Within 15 to 20 seconds, the situation repeats. I tried turning on the sport feature which is suppose to provide more resistance but the same event occurs. It only happens in hot weather when the vehicle is sitting in the sun for 4 or more hours and it is above 88 degrees. In order to compensate, I drive in one gear lower, say 4th, and constantly shimmy the wheel to avoid loss of control. It's similar to snow skiing with the vehicle catching an edge or groove it does not want to get out of. It continues to drive in the same previous direction as you apply additional effort. Suddenly, the wheel gives and it's as if the power steering assist is suddenly amplified, what you would normally need at 5mph, not 60mph. As you finish the bend, it continues to stay locked in the turning position. So, additional effort must be made to straighten out the vehicle and again the steering wheel fights your efforts only to suddenly give when you least expect it. You struggle to keep the car in your lane the entire time and from the rear, the vehicle appears erratic and swerving from side to side. That was my first summer with the car and it is currently at the dealer where hopefully my extended warranty will apply.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jun 202012

Z4 6-cyl

While driving the steering gets very hard to steer.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 152011

Z4 6-cyl

Over the course of the last year, the steering in my BMW Z-4 has felt like I have to fight to stay on the road. It is jerking & pulling the car off center making it very difficult to drive and feel safe. The steering wheel also "sticks" rather than rotating smoothly when I turn to the left or right. This condition is progressively getting worse, I was driving on the interstate last week at approx. 55 miles/hour and several times the car swerved hard pulling me into the next lane of traffic coming very close to causing an accident.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Apr 022007

Z4 6-cyl

The steering sticks and is hard to control. The steering seems to have lobes/sticking points in the steering and sticks at certain points and then lets go making it hard to control. The vehicle is very hard to steer and has jerky catching points as you move the wheel while going down the road.

- Atlantic, IA, USA

May 022011

Z4 6-cyl

I have noticed that when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees my steering sticks and you have to jerk the wheel to get it to unstick. It especially noticeable when you are taking a gradual curve and you try to straighten out the car. I have been told it is likely the electronic power steering but have not had it checked. It is so dangerous that I will not drive in hot weather until I get it fixed... I just can't afford several thousand in repair bills. Btw, there are only 23,000 miles on the car and I have had it since it was new.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 152011

Z4

The contact owns a 2003 BMW Z4. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed that the steering wheel began to stick and jerk to the sides on its own. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE10020 (steering:column steering:electric power assist system) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 33,000.

- Shallotte, NC, USA

Jun 102011

Z4 6-cyl

On this particular occasion, the electric steering binds or gets stuck while in center position and makes it difficult or impairs the ability to change lanes on the highway. On this occasion, I was travling at a relatively low speed and was changing lanes and because of the steering problem I jerked the vehicle and hit a car in the other lane causing minor damage to my vehicle. This problem comes and goes and gets worst in the warm to hot weather. I have contacted BMW in both Massachusetts and Florida with no help from dealers. My vehicle has 79,000 on it now which isnt a lot of miles for a 2003.

- Ludlow, MA, USA

Feb 292012

Z4 6-cyl

The steering wheel will stick to the right and left in warm weather. It causes the handling of the vehicle to be very difficult.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Z4 6-cyl

Bought this car in June 2011 with approximately 86000, so it is very possible the problem had shown up prior to this date/mileage. During very hot days, the steering "sticks" and is difficult to start movement, resulting in jerkiness and swerving on the road. Once motion on the steering wheel is initiated, it is possible to continue movement smoothly. But when you stop movement, it will stick again. This makes it very tedious and annoying and possibly even unsafe to make even just the normal constant minor adjustments while driving straight. Often times, jumping from one side of my lane to the other, and back.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Apr 162009

Z4

The contact owns a 2003 BMW Z4. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the steering wheel would seize abnormally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 74,000.

- Blusf City, TN, USA