7.6

$1,180

Most common solutions:

1. replace condenser (16 reports)
  3. replace compressor (6 reports)
  4. replace entire AC unit (4 reports)
  5. replace A/C line to pump (2 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 GMC Sierra 1500:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your GMC dealer.

Apr 132018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

I bought the 2015 Sierra 1500 SLT as a certified used vehicle with 17000 miles on it in 2016. In April of 2018, the AC began to not blow as cool until it quit blowing cool all together. I hooked my gauges to it and noticed that it was running extremely low on coolant. I put a full bottle of coolant in it, and the next day it began to blow hot again.

I did some research and noticed that this was a common problem. Brought it into my dealership (Gerry Lane GMC) who immediately knew where to look to find the leak. They contacted their representative who stated that GMC denies any assistance with cost of replacement. After haggling with Gerry Lane, they brought the total price down to 900.00 and some change. I contacted GMC directly, and they refuse to offer any assistance. This is part one of why I am getting rid of my GMC.

- Brad M., Greenwell Springs, LA, US

May 012018

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L

I bought this pickup used with 40,000 plus miles on it in the fall of 2017. The one thing I did not check was the a/c due to the cooler temps. Now spring arrives and the first time I try to use it nothing but warm air comes out. I take it in to get it checked out and it is completely out of freon. They fill it and add a dye to check for leaks. That was 136.00 bucks right out the window. I made it 20 miles and it blew it all on the ground. There was excessive back pressure at the pump itself and the only recourse is a whole new unit. I just got rid of a 2007 Silverado with 200,000 miles on it and never had a single issue with the a/c. When you pay over 30,000.00 for a good used pickup you sure don't expect to replace the a/c right out the gate. After reading these other comments I find am not alone in my frustration with GMC. First they cut the warranty way back and now it seems they use sub standard parts right out the gate. How else can you explain the life of an a/c unit to be this short? Maybe they will read this and at least pay something to try and keep a good name in the pickup industry cause right now I sure am not impressed with my choice.

- Rick R., Foley, MN, US

Sep 282017

Sierra 1500 LT 5.3L

Had just put new tires on it and picked it up from the tire place. Pulled out onto the highway and started smoking and whining. Pulled back in only to find the A/C belt laying in the bottom of the cowling burnt in two and the A/C compressor locked up. Carried it to Richard Karr GMC to see if it was still under warranty. Told me no since it was over the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper but that they would see if GM would give me a break on it. The service manager Mike Lee contacted corporate and the local GM rep himself to try and get me some help and GM denied ALL claims. I tried contacting them too and all I got was "I'm sorry" this happened but we can't help you. The lady was very rude and was trying the best she could to get me off the phone as fast as she could. Blanket statements of apologizing but that was it. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE at all!! The dealership actually ended up knocking off about $200-$300 on the new compressor and didn't charge me for a loaner truck while it was getting fixed, but it still cost me $1026.36 on a truck with 44K miles on it. Again, the local dealership was great. This is a corporate problem from the top down that can't admit when they have a huge problem with A/C compressors going out and should issue a recall and reimburse owners for their problems. I can tell you without a doubt, this will be the last GM product I buy. Your actions prove your customers who spend $40-$50K of their hard earned money on your products don't mean squat to you. I would have been happy if GM would have picked up any portion of the repair at all and it would have gone a long way to keeping me loyal to the brand. I hope the GM vehicle you corporate execs drive breaks down and leaves you stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the summer in Texas!

- Daniel C., Waco, US

Nov 232017

Sierra 1500 Texas Edition

Drove 10 miles from my home, turned on A/C. As soon as it started up, it stopped blowing, then we smelled smoke and the truck stalled. Wouldn't restart. After a few minutes, turned off the A/C and started it right back up. It's ran fine for the last two months as long as I don't turn on the A/C. Called the dealership and asked if its covered under the warranty, but no, I have too many miles on my truck. He told me to bring it in so they can diagnose. I told him my son can replace the A/C Compressor, and he laughed. Then I said, he's an auto mechanic. Then he got pissed and said, "give us a call when your ready" and he hung up on me. I'm definitely NOT giving them my business, jerk!

- socalmom, Mission Viejo, US

Feb 192018

Sierra 1500 SLT 5.3L

Obvious manufacturer defect known by GMC. This defect and costly repair has nothing to do with vehicle age or miles driven. GMC should stand behind their vehicles and defective parts. Owned many vehicles in 48 years and never had a/c issues. This is my first and possibly last GMC purchase. Toyota, Ford and Dodge should take advantage of GMC's customer service issue. Brand loyalty is not something GMC can honestly say they strive for if they do not make things right with their customers. Took 2 hours to fix...repair cost was $1050.14.

Maybe the CEO/President for GMC needs a bigger yacht?

- Jason M., Fort Mill, US

Oct 182017

Sierra 1500 All Terrain V8

So dealer wanted 1000 bucks to fix it. Took it to a trusted local mechanic and he tells me GM has had this problem on this model truck for the last five years and has done nothing to fix it. He recommended waiting for the TSB that was supposed to come out 1 Nov. I have my doubts, its enough to make me want to buy a Ford.

- Charles N., Jacksonville, US

Nov 142017

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8

This seems to be an on going problem with the 2015 GMC 1500 Sierra that has been happening quite regular. I think GM should pay for these repairs for this is something that a new vehicle 2 1/2 years old should last longer. For if you look at the price that is charged for these vehicles they should last a lot longer.

- Freddie T., Perry, US

Sep 062017

Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2L V8

Just driving down the road and a squeal and smoke from under the hood and loss on cold air. Pulled over and the belt for the compressor has burnt/melted off. take it to the dealer and compressor is locked up. so compressor change and condenser change and filter change 11 hours for labor and $2200. That's ridiculous the truck is just over 2 years old and compressor failure.

- Kyle S., Linden, US

Mar 022017

Sierra 1500 5.3L V8

A/C has been out for a few months. Tried to order the condenser and they were on back order nationwide, they said it could take up to a month or maybe even a little longer. Its ridiculous that there is so many defects on these type of trucks and they still don't do a recall!

- alvarez tellez, Fresno, US

Jul 262017

Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L V8

Condenser Leaking, seems to be a common problem. Hopefully GM will take care of the issue and make everyone right.

- cbennett007, Parrish, US

Jul 292017

Sierra 1500

I live in the southern California desert , temperatures during the summer are 90°to115° everyday and to have your one year six month old truck compressor go out is ridiculous . I've owned a GMC Sierra 1500 for 12yrs and other than transmission going out once. that was the only issue , my father owns it now and guess what 0 issues. During the first 8months I had the fuel injectors replaced so I'm guessing I'll have major issues, what once a year. I feel that if I'm paying $60,000 for a vehicle I should have some. kind of assurance that it'll take a few more years for it to start to break down, I'm very disappointed. Most likely I'll be paying Up to $1800.00 for this. I have always been told GMC is the best. Well I'll be contacting GMC maybe they'll help. if anyone has had this kind of issue, please let me know

- mtnboo6, Running Springs, US

May 012017

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

A national back-order for a replacement part and a 7+ week wait (still) and no recall? I'll assume this is a major issue and GM is attempting to find a fix before a recall is mandated?

Either way, waiting this long for a fix is absurd.

- goaliedad, Howell, MI, US

Apr 012017

Sierra 1500 Denali 6.2L V8

A/C not working in 2015 GMC Sierra Denali since April - dealer cannot get the part, said its a nationwide issue. Did a live chat with GMC who basically documented my concern and said GM is working with 2 suppliers in order to alleviate the back-log and delay and there is a large demand and low supply for the part. Told no recall because it is not considered a safety issue. Although not a current safety issue, could potentially be a health issue for some people with illness, elderly, or breathing problems - how safe is to travel over major highways with soaring temperatures while forced to have the windows down in order to breath!

I don't understand why the part is not available what about the hundreds of new cars/trucks sitting in the lot - how are they able to meet that demand? Who is supplying the part on the new cars? Why is there now no supplier? Who has been supplying them up until now and why can't they supply replacement? Why is there no time frame on when the part will be in? Why shouldn't they provide a loaner car/truck? Why should I not expect the comfort, luxury and enjoyment of driving a premium truck that I paid for?

- Christine G., Malden, MA, US

Jan 012017

Sierra 1500 XLT 5.3L

i PURCHASED 2015 GMC SIERRA SLT CREW CAB JAN 2016, < 2 YEARS AC DOESNT BLOW COLD./

- B F., Castaic, CA, US

Dec 122016

Sierra 1500 SLT V8

leaking condenser

Purchase brand new 2015 GMC 1500 Sierra from Kirk Brothers in July 2015 and a year and half later, the air conditioning not cooling. There service wants to charge $1,012 to repair a leaking condenser. The explanation for this defect according to the service department was high mileage and other reason a rock probably hit the condenser. My guess is this truck was sold to us with this defect but if a slow leak, it took the problem now to manifest itself. I was highly upset and disappointed because a relatively brand new truck should not have air conditioner malfunctioning a year and half later. My 350Z Nissan is 14 years and the air conditioning is just as cool today as when I purchased it. Car dealerships charge an exceedingly high price for these vehicles but when it's time to honor the customers and merchandise, they always fail to deliver. I left without my truck being repaired but Kirk Brothers lost a customer today.

- tammyt350z, Batesville, MS, US