7.2

$400

Most common solutions:

2. service bulletin 17-014 - update software/flush transmission (5 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

Feb 072017

Pilot Touring

The transmission on this vehicle has been horrendous from day 1. The 9-speed transmission chews through multiple gears just getting off the stop line and sounds like you're starting a F1 race. Then there's the lovely effect of being thrown down a hill. When you start down the hill the transmission will hold you back, similar to most other vehicles on the road, but at a random point it will switch to a fast acceleration and rocket you down the hill if you aren't prepared to jam the brakes.

This concern has been brought up to the dealer multiple times and each time we are told the effects we are experiencing are by design. When asked if anything can be modified to eliminate these supposed helpful occurrences we are told no.

Do NOT purchase a Honda with the 9-speed transmission. You'll regret it every day you drive your vehicle!

- Sean S., Pittsburgh, PA, US

Nov 132016

Pilot EX-L V6

New Honda Pilot 8/2016. At about 4K miles, several fault codes threw. Check Engine, Oil Change Warning, Flashing dash lights. Motor and trans went into "Limp Mode" Super hard shifting. Took to Michael Hohl Honda in Carson. Dealer reset fault codes and sent me on my way. 12/1/2016 Re-Occurrence, but this time the trans is hard shifting at 25-35MPH to the point of damage to the drive train, and transmission. Car is at dealer till they can reproduce the issue. Horrible Virus in the electrical brain that controls the shifting and safe operation of car. Cannot recommend the Honda Pilot.. This is not good.

Update from Dec 15, 2016: Still at dealer try to duplicate the issue.

Update from Dec 16, 2016: 12/16/2016. After having the car 5 days, the hard shift and limp mode issue occurred for the dealer. Now they do not think I'm another crazy owner..!! They have already installed the software updates 2 visits ago, so now what? Stay tuned..

Update from Feb 8, 2017: just as an FYI, dealer had issues duplicating the hard shift problems. we ended up selling the pilot at 8K miles. just did not trust the car any longer w/ random shifting problems.

- lampeman, Incline Village, NV, US

Apr 012016

Pilot

Transmission jerks when accelerating just above 20 mph. Took it to the dealer and they could not duplicate the problem. It has happened twice since we purchased the vehicle. I heard there is going to be a recall for all the 2016 Pilot transmissions, but as yet can't find any info about it on the web.

- Christine K., Indialantic, FL, US

Dec 012015

Pilot EX AWD 3.5L V6

Sometimes, the transmission jerks really hard when the vehicle is passing 25mph... it feels like my I ran over a big pot hole and really surprises me. Of course I took my car to the dealer for service, but they couldn't duplicate the problem or find any issue after one test drive.

- Charles C., Fort Huachuca, AZ, US