7.9

Most common solutions:

2. replace shocks (2 reports)
  3. replace struts (1 reports)
  4. replace sway bar (1 reports)
Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

Oct 012012

Elantra Limited

Everytime I drive this car over any size bump that's on a highway or even going around a curve (a wide one not just narrorw) and I hit a bump I feel like I loose my rear end. It seriously scares the crap out of me. I use to live in upstate NY and anyone that lived in NY will know how curvy and very narrow the lanes are on the Taconic State parkway with their extremely bumpy roads. I would be deathly afraid to drive on this road due to the fact that everytime I drove on this road, I felt like I kept losing my rear end, I don't know how to explain it but it felt like it would kick out and do its own thing for a brief second and it's scary especially when you have cars next to you and you feel like your back end is going to swerve out and hit the car next to you and these roads are extremely narrow and bumpy.

Now I've moved to Alexandria VA and when I'm driving on 395 or 495 and going straight and hit a bump in the road I keep losing my back end, regardless coming off the ramp or driving straight, and no I am not speeding! So before you automatically assume that it isn't. Driving on Taconic the speed limit is 55 but I end up doing 35-40 with a lot of people flipping me off and honking at me for driving so slow but that's how bad my car acts up and going slow somewhat prevents my backend from kicking out. It's really weird why it does that.

I have brought it to different Hyundai dealerships and have complained and everyone tells me it's because I'm speeding which isn't the problem and I feel like they use that as an excuse since they don't have any other legitmate answer to give me. This needs to be fixed, either give me better tie rods, or control arms, or a whole new suspension. Everyday I regret buying this car. The mpg freaking sucks, really 23 mpg?!? I loose control of this thing when going over even a small bump on 395 or 495 and than my brakes grind. WTF???????

- missrima, Alexandria, VA, US